Adam Raised a Cain

Episode Reviews (34)

Superb

Character deaths, Cain and Able and a haunting rendition of 'Donald where's yer troosers' make amongst other things, this one of the best episodes of the series

By AegisAtreyu, Apr 01, 2011

I loved this and it's many memorable scenes. First is the death of Derek which comes without warning and is over quickly. At first your like 'Did they just kill Derek!' and yet his death is very subtly done. The main thing is the grieving by John and Sarah which gives the death meaning. So many shows would skip over this part or present it as an out of character moment, both deal with it in there usual hard man way refusing to cry, you can even see John sort of struggling and he even admits it. Other stand out moments involved Weaver and Ellison, when she told him off for saying she didn't care about Savannah as much as John-Henry, I literally felt a chill from her reaction. Also John-Henry and his story of whether he was Cain or Able, and the Internet messaging to Savannah at school and the teacher's reaction.

One of the odd but extremely effective choices was at the end of the episode. When John-Henry and Savavannah sing 'Donald where's your troosers' and make it seem haunting I was truly amazed. I don't think I've ever heard the full song as well so that was kinda nice.

Terminator has been a great series even though it drags, with cancellation possibly looming this penultimate episode makes me hope that a renewal may happen. This prepares me for the last episode nicely, which I hear is absolutely great.moreless

The stakes are raised. (Spoilers!)

By D0NNER, Oct 01, 2010

Lordy lordy wow. It's been a while since I've seen a show dispose of a major character in such a sudden and brutal fashion and as soon as Derek turned that corner and took the bullet to the head, my jaw hit the ground in complete shock and disbelief. As soon as that terrible event happened, it was completely clear that the stakes have been raised and all bets are off.

This is a marvelous "set up" episode gearing up for next weeks season finale -- sadly, probably the series finale as well. Personally, all expectations I've had so far is out the window and, as far as I'm concerned, anything can happen, anyone can die, and the future is unwritten.

Too bad this show has spent the last two months in a coma. It's only getting good again at the end.moreless

It is sad, how Derek was retired so meaninglessly. Too many things happen too quickly. I hope that last episode will deliver.

By n00bKilla, Oct 01, 2010

I think Derek death was poorly written. He died like he was not even there. Did Sarah and John hated him that much? It was interesting how the other Terminator, John and the gang found themselves at Savanna's house at the same time. What is this other Terminator about? What I like that is happening is the development of John Henry. He seems to develop human emotions and attachment to religion. I have a feeling that he could turn out to be an ally to humans, preventing Skynet from becoming our demise. Sarah gets arrested again, been there done that. I'm surprised how Weever did not get alarmed by Sarah Connor. Looks like her only objective is ensuring the progress of the AI. One question that I hope will get answered is this, in the last episode: who are those man, that lurke in the background attack Sarah, and know so much about the robotics, and Weever is after them. What is their story. I want this to go on forever, I love this show.moreless

Strong opening act.

By bogaty, Oct 01, 2010

The almost casual way in which Derek's death transpired was one of the reasons I like this series. It ignores the accepted storytelling conventions and, in doing so, produces some very powerful episodes. The fact that Reese dies in such an offhand manner with no fanfare, none of the usual foreshadowing, melodramatic soliloquies, or mournful accompanying soundtrack made it resonate much more powerfully than it would have had it been done in the clich├ęd manner most TV series would have used. It's a shame that the rest of the episode didn't live up to the potential of the opening act. The interplay between John Henry and Ellison was fascinating, as always. I always enjoy how the director is able to imbue John Henry's innocence with a sense of foreboding. Too bad the scenes with Savannah were so weak. As a side note, did anyone else notice that Ms. Manson is looking more and more haggard and sick with each episode?moreless

Powerful, roller-coaster ride of a story! Classic Terminator genre. Must watch!

By qpoerut, Oct 01, 2010

Too bad this show was all about Sarah's dreams and issues for so long, because this episode, and a couple before this, show what the Terminator genre is all about! I hope the writers keep this up for the season's finale, and that it means that the show will live on (but you gotta admit, they only have themselves to blame if it doesn't - it was REAL HARD to watch for several episodes, dealing with Sarah's feelings and nightmares, stories that ultimately took the story absolutely nowhere, and were so out of character it was laughable).

Derek's death, coming so unexpectedly, is about as real-life as it gets, and the shock value was well exploited. This is how it happens in real-life combat, folks. A life snuffed out. Period. And while I find Ellison's cluelessness a little annoying (he is supposed to be a good investigator), the story is now taking us into classic Terminator action and intrigue. I can't wait to see where the story takes us next.moreless

Another One bites the dust...

By Rquest, Oct 01, 2010

I really am starting to think that next week may be the end of the series, though I would most certainly love to be proven wrong. However, cast members have been dropping like flies, so even if there is a third season, who will be left?

This week it's Derek's turn to die, which is really unfortuante because he was such a great character. At the same time, it's nice to see a Terminator battle after so long without one. It kind of seemed like Derek died too easy, didn't really try to move for cover, but maybe I'm overlooking it a little bit. It did fit into place with Sarah showing Derek where Kyle was buried, and where Derek would be buried. We see a lot more of John Henry and Savannah in this episode then the Connors though and I did like a lot of the scenes the two of them had together, particually the headset stuff, right before a Terminator came in. Though the fact that a Terminator came to kill Savanaah is really interesting. We have yet to truely establish a motive for Weaver, other then the fact that she is a machine. Through the season, she's given the impression that she actually wants to save the world and as we saw in the future a T-1000 told John Connor that she would not help him. Does it mean that the liquid terminator's can operate seperate from Skynet? If so, can it be assumes that the Bionicle loving John Henry is on the side of humanity? We can only hope those questions are answered next week.

I have to say either way, John figuring out that Cromartie's body is in the basement of Weaver's building was great. Also great was the fact that Elision may or may not have betrayed Sarah. Not that it will be a surprise if Cameron busts her out, actually I anticpiate that before half of the episode is over, but if Elision didn't call the cops, who did? Weaver was all prepared to meet with Sarah, for whatever reason. Definetely a suspenseful Terminator episode, the likes of which this second half of the season has had so few of. I only hope there will be another season, still if not, all good things...moreless

I loved this episode, but we can feel that the writers tried to give an end to the show...

By Mike0110, Oct 01, 2010

A lot of action, some new questions, and answers. I think this show has a very great potential and the writers should have begin the actual storyline earlier and develop it a lot more. Derek's dead was to fast, and it is very sad. One of the best character of the show (after Cameron hahaha).

Henry may become the head of the "new skynet" because all concepts that Ellison taught him are destroyed little by little (religion vs lies etc...).

Religion can be a dangerous thing if someone try to use it at his advantage.

I am really really sad the show is at his end. I'd really loved see a lot more terminator action and learn more about the Henry's brother (I suppose we won't get a correct explanation in 45min). It is a very great show and I hope FOX will reconsider its cancellation and give us a 3rd season.moreless

finally back on truck but why so late?

(spoilers,ofcourse)

By fallenepitaph, Oct 01, 2010

after weeeeks of soul searching and emotion feeling, connors finally had some action / story development. i think it is so far away from saving the show. generally, the only times it shines are the times it references to the movies. but this one was cleverly written and fun to watch. john henry's storyline has became the highlight of the story for a time now, since all that others do is talk and walk around in the house. killing derek was a bold move that gave a little seriousness to what's happening. and i'm so glad it's not in the girly cheesy emotionsucking way charlie died. but i wish it was just alittle more meaningful than this, wish it served something other than leaving john and cameron alone,which was basicly the purpose of this episode.

so t1000 is from the future, doesnt want to work with john and the rebellion but doesnt want skynet so it came back to make a rival artificial intelligence and savannah plays a major role in it because this new ai is supposed to care about humans. great plot. i wish this was the episode 4 or 5 of the season. i really really wish it was : ( and one note. the fanboy people who are giving 10 to every single episode they see really piss me of. its not like i care too much but it kills the tv.com'S creditibility.moreless

A shocking near-conclusion as a team member goes down. Savannah is at the center of an AI attack - John Henry learns the Connors' identities. Sarah is captured.

By cxtasy, Oct 01, 2010

This is a nearly flawless episode - all characters have good screen time, the stress level is high, the story climactic. But I'm still in denial about the loss of Brian Green from the cast - a crushing blow. When the T shot him down, we yelled, "Oh, no!" I still hope for another time trip with another edition of Derek coming through, or something to keep this character going. When everyone, producers and fans alike, invest this much in a popular character, it's tough to give it up. This makes the series look like it's winding down to a big finale, and I don't want a finale. I want a couple more seasons, at least.

Garrett Dillahunt continues to play an outstanding role as John Henry, with a personality evident behind his otherwise flat monotone. Just a little anger and disappointment and doubt creeps into his dialog, giving me the creeps. The use of logic still keeps JH under control, but he shows a dangerous initiative by suggesting he might expose Weaver as "not anyone's mother." And Weaver continues with her own agenda, somewhere between the JH/AI and the Cyberdyne AI, but still committed to the safety of JH. We have about 44 minutes left to learn all about her strategy.

One small production flaw - the use of hand-held moving video cuts from Weaver's residence, shown on the lab monitors, ostensibly from the home security system. Those are all fixed cameras.

Little Savannah has a big part here, making me wonder if she is not the key to some future development. Otherwise, why would Weaver make such an effort to save her, and why would the Cyberdyne AI send a T to kill her? Mackenzie Smith is not as precocious as Shirley Temple or Dakota Fanning, but she's becoming more effective and sympathetic in every episode.

Richard T. Jones continues his too-unemotional portrayal of Ellison, even when he begins to see the consequences of his failure to take proper precautions in the meeting with Sarah to return Savannah. He's overdue on understanding the danger he and the others are in, and taking some strong actions to redeem himself by saving the Connors. The unexplained police ambush at the theatre I surmised was simply because he was tailed there.

Loved the scene with John questioning Savannah about Dr. Sherman, and his sudden realization of the danger of ZeiraCorp and Ellison's secrets. With Derek gone, and Sarah fading from the leadership role a bit, John is coming on strong as the family leader, and working his partnership with Cameron more effectively. I'd always like to see more of Cameron, but she got some good fight scenes and enough dialog to make her part interesting.

The final scenes of Sarah's capture, and the song duet between an innocent child and a developing AI, were superb. Many show-enders employ a simple song over a foreboding or dramatic scene, without dialog, but this one tops them all. TSCC often uses ideas from the cast, it seems - Mr. Jones contributing his devout faith through dialog for one character or another, and I believe that Ms. Manson was the source of the charming Scottish song sung by John Henry and Savannah. This was as gripping and emotional as the use of "The Wizard of Oz" dialog at the end of "Goodbye to All That."

The finale will feature an extended trailer for "Terminator Salvation," and if the Halcyon Corp. gets a big bump from that in a few weeks - and it should be a mid-range blockbuster - we can hope that they will at least shop the tv series on other networks. The franchise has lots of good stories left. Wherever it goes, I will follow. Re-run rating A-.moreless

Load More Reviews