The ABC Afterschool Special

Fair
6.6

Great shows

By tadamsstromsky, Nov 10, 2014

I think they defiantly need to come back. All the garage that is on TV now. Perverted, no Innocence anymore, twerking, language, no wonder these kids act the way they do. Kids don't believe in anything, they have no respect for elders, they are lazy, I am not speaking for all children. They have certainty changed since I was a child. I believe it's what is put in their minds. These shows were very positive and clean..

They just never quite made the grade

By aurummarianus, Feb 21, 2009

I was the generation to which it was introduced. I can't remember one person in my school ever saying they liked it. We ususally considered it outdoor time or time to get homework done before the real stuff started on TV. I can remember ABC advertising them and all of us groaning and trying to figure out what on earth we were going to do for the time it was on. The shows to put it in our terms were lame, dumb and talked down to us. The cute moral messages were over cooked and over done and the acting and story line didn't support them well.

It was rated right up there with going to the dentist to have a tooth drilled. It was something you had to put up with because ABC thought it was being improving. I always wondered if they ever bothered to ask a kid.

Hindsight many years later, I can tell you the acting was bad, the plots were bad and the message was indeed over done. Really bad TV that was suppose to enlighten instead boring the audience.moreless

60-90 minute shows, each focusing on some trauma of teenage life.

By newjerseyliz, Sep 17, 2007

A classic from my childhood and adolescent years. Yes, it could be predictable and sappy and focused on youthful trauma and humiliation. But for some kids going through stressful situations (divorce, eating disorders, pregnancies, family pressures, date rape, etc.) alone, I'm sure it was comforting to see they weren't alone. Unfortunately, as time went by, themes were repeated over and over and the series became less original simply by its longevity (which happens to most series). It became a punchline to jokes rather than being relevant to the changes teens were going through in the 1990s. It outlived its usefulness but it is a shame that there doesn't exist something like this show--updated, of course,--for the current generation.moreless

glad this ended

By Nich978, Feb 25, 2007

There is uncertainty about the life span for this show. Despite documented evidence in the "Episode List" to the contrary, it has been assumed the The ABC Afterschool Special were a fatality of the first U.S. war with Iraq. Then again, it may have just been that more and more ABC affiliates got sick of wasting one hour each month that could have been devoted to Oprah Winfrey.

a fine show

By CAPNDEL, Jul 10, 2006

these were actually really good shows. they taught lessons to a generation of young people. the only time they could get a good actor was when someone got busted. ie drew barrymore. we always had a joke about our lives were just one long after school special when i was young.

By alfa_06, May 23, 2006

What other people say about SHOW doesn't bring it any justice. To give it anything less than a 10 would be an outrage. What's good about it? If you need me to tell you what's good about it, it means you can't even tell the brilliance behind The ABC Afterschool Special. Nuff said.

By tgaraainbeats26, Apr 13, 2006

I had a good laugh out of watching The ABC Afterschool Special. In fact, not that the show was particularly humorous but there was something special, something unique that brought a smile to my face when I watched this. Definitely one of the highlights of my television experience this month.

I loved watching this growing up.

This show dealt with problems and issues facing children, and teens that were current with the times.

By Loswellias, Apr 07, 2006

I always looked forward to watching the After School Special. The show dealt with so many issues.

I know that it wasn't the greatest show, but it helped kids with problems feel like they could talk to somebody.

I am glad that I got to watch this throughout adolescence and my teens. Too bad it is no longer on.

Great messages that should be taught as well as sadly lacking to today's youth!

By JPPT1974, Jan 10, 2006

I remember coming home as a kid and teenager in the eighties and nineties.

To these shows that taught moral vaules.

That are sadly lacking in today's youth.

If you think we kids in that era had it rough, let me tell you, that was just a cakewalk.

Not just are these specials good writing and acting.

But also just wonderful for the family to sit down and watch.

To get the moral of the story.

Like from drugs, child abuse, sex, etc.

I wished that these shows would be on today.

Sadly tv is just filled with trash I am afraid.moreless

Load More Reviews