Pilot

Episode Reviews (29)

Great

laugh track explanation

By AlexKotas, Nov 22, 2015

a great episode that did feature a laugh track; that is acceptable despite it being canned laughter and applause. GloriaDarcy was semi-incorrect but correct as well.

Remove laugh track?

By GloriaDarcy, Dec 06, 2014

It's not a laugh track. The show is filmed with a studio audience.

Remove Laugh Track

By AriSky, Sep 17, 2013

It was occasionally a pain to watch this pilot, between actors who either deserve an oscar for portraying nerds or need to not be actors and dialogue that easily went over my head AND a female lead who's completely shallow and seems to have an odd body shape... Not to mention the hideous laugh track. That's when you know a show is trying way, way too hard. There was very little established in this pilot, nothing at all promised and little connection between scenes. It was rough and jerky and a lot like a pack of nerds. Not feeling it so much out of the gates, but we'll see what happens in season one.moreless

Strong debut

By generalfranci, Feb 02, 2013

This will be one of the most memorable episodes in the series as is the introductory piece. But for those of us who first watched the series at debut, it explained the plot, characters, and setting of the series very well in a brief amount of time, outlining what was next to come.

sheldon rules

By AaronWong1, Oct 24, 2012

no one can fuck with sheldon

The bang that started this universe

By FX, Jun 07, 2012

This was a great episode but you can see many things now that got changed over the years. The clothing is a little more hipster in my opinion in this first season. And seeing Sheldon walk into a fertility clinic is pretty much as close as it gets for sex for him. At least we know off the bat that Sheldon has no issue in jerking the gherkin on occasion. Penny also comes off as a little dumb in this. It's good to see that they kicked off the dumb valley girl image overtime. Kudos to getting that dumb hat off Raj as well. Howard, great out the gate. Leonard has stupid hair as well. Just knit picking.

If you ever get to see the unaired pilot then don't worry. it's a virtual clone of this episode.moreless

Great way to begin a great show.

By pudgebyrd722, Dec 10, 2011

This is how it all started. Before the opening credits, Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper, both geniuses with respective IQ's of 173 and 187, are donating sperm in hopes that it will create "smart babies". They have second thoughts, and they leave at the right time, because when they return to their apartment, their new neighbor, the amazing beautiful Kaley Cuoco as Penny, has decided not to close her front door yet. So the guys see inside and she sees them peeking. They say their hello's and finally Leonard finds enough words to mumble out if she wants some coffee or something.

"So what do you guys do for fun around here?", a question by Penny, that led to the first of many funny comments by Sheldon throughout the series, "Well today we tried masturbating for money." And then the awesome theme song is introduced.

Penny explains the story of her life and how she has just gotten out of a relationship. She explains her destiny to be an actress and then takes a shower, while the show's other two main characters, engineer Howard Wolowitz, and Hindu, afraid-to-talk-to-women, Rajesh "Raj" Koothrapali. While she's taking a shower, we have time to see how big of nerds Howard and Raj are, too.

Leonard, in love with Penny, accepts her favor request by going to collect a TV from her ex-boyfriend, but it doesn't work out so well, as expected, and she applauds their efforts by going out to eat with them.

Bravo start to the series.moreless

Fresh start to a funny show

By tigerdude22, Sep 21, 2011

I thought that this was an excellent pilot episode of "The Big Bang Theory". There was nothing much in this episode and it mainly took place in their apartment so there's really nothing much to say about this pilot episode. Still, it was a fresh start to a funny show and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't a perfect pilot episode but it was pretty close though. I felt like Sheldon was a tiny bit mean to Penny in this pilot episode but HEY, that's just me. The pilot episode is about when a girl named Penny moved next door to the apartment that Leonard, Sheldon, Raj, and Howard live in. Leonard becomes very excited about it and tries to impress Penny. Although, I felt like Sheldon was a tiny bit mean to Penny in this pilot episode but I found it hilarious when Penny is sitting in the spot that Sheldon always sits and he explains why that spot is where he sits. The fact that Raj doesn't speak to girls makes me laugh pretty hard. It kinda disappoints me that Raj rarely says anything in this pilot episode since he is the character that makes me laugh the hardest in this show. Leonard and Sheldon getting their pants taken away by Penny's ex-boyfriend made me laugh pretty hard as well. Overall, the pilot episode wasn't perfect but it was pretty close to being perfect and I thought that it was a fresh start to a funny show. 9.5/10moreless

Pilot episode.

By Canogaparkcindy, Nov 01, 2010

My first time watching "The Big Bang Theory" and I must say, it's pretty good. The pilot was promising. Even though nothing really exciting happened here, we got a lot of commendable one liners here and the characters are all very likable. It's basically a show about nerds. From the creators of Two & A Half Men (surprisingly) we get the Big Bang Theory. Even though, I'm not sure what the show's target audience is, it's still quite an entertaining show. As pilots go, I have seen better, but this show seemed so fresh when I was watching the pilot.

I'm not sure how they will expand the show, basically it had the same style as Friends. The roommates aspect of it, so who knows, this might have the potential to go on for many years, but it might not. Who knows? But overall, an enjoyable pilot for this show.moreless

Load More Reviews