The Bronx Is Burning

Show Reviews (2)

Great

This is a series of short episodes set in the late 1970's about the New York Yankees baseball team.

By MeMoiMeee, Jul 19, 2007

The words I wrote above are what I feel should be a well done docu-drama about the sporting events of the New York Yankees in the time frame of the late 1970's. But there is something amiss.

As far as a television drama is concerned thus far this series has been rather well done. However, it stales in the same old problem of East Coast Bias.

As a sports fan I think the history of the New York Yankees is extremely interesting and very worthy of fiction wise drama apparently loosely based on actual events.

The problem I have is putting the events of the Yankees into retrospect with the "Son of Sam" murders. As a historian, I find it puzzling as to what the eventual outcome will be as to this murderer in regards to the fate of the team.

Which leads me to conclude that this is just another "east coast bias" piece that no one outside of NYC can really relate to except for the baseball segments.

ESPN is already notorious for their tunnel vision in regards to East Coast sports; more specifically NYC sports.

I wonder if other hot spots during the 1970's such as Chicago or Detroit will ever figure into the minds of ESPN?

I highly doubt it.moreless