The Buzz on Maggie

Show Reviews (88)

Fair

Despite The Negative Buzz, This Is A Good Show

By ScampTVCritic, Mar 12, 2013

This was another show that I was heavily obsessed with when it premiered. Does it carry that same quality that I thought it did when it premiered? Well, sort of. Much more so than other cartoons. Is it anything innovative or original to animation? No. But nevertheless, I do enjoy the voice acting and the art design, and even the characters are pretty well executed. I actually cared for Maggie in this show because her character is not a condescending jerk like I found Jenny from Teenage Robot to be. Maggie actually cares for her family despite wanting to be a rebel, and her voice is not too annoying. Even though the plot of the series is unoriginal and has been done before, it's still slightly above decent, that is, for a show that got canned after one season due to Disney not liking the animation direction. That's a stupid reason for something to get cancelled, but I don't really care about how many episodes a show has unless the show is executed well. The Buzz On Maggie gets a warm recommendation from me.

moreless

Can somebody hand me a fly swatter?

By That_TV_Dude, Jan 02, 2012

From the moment I saw this show, I knew it wasn't going to go anywhere and had no future. The Buzz on Maggie follows the misadventures of Maggie Pesky, a fly, as she tries to live a normal teenage life and be cool. The story itself is just unoriginal and trust me when I say that that's the least of this show's problems. The characters all suck in this show. No one is given development at all and everyone is stereotypical. The older brother (can't remember name) is generic jock and jerk to younger siblings. Maggie herself is flat and shallower than a puddle of water. Pubert is annoying little brother. The parents are idiots and way too protective. The list goes on. As for the stories, they are all bland. One example is Maggie going to see an R-rated movie and being scared, or Maggie going with the in crowd and being popular and abandoning her best friend and feeling bad about it. Nothing is new to this show and nothing is original. The artwork is OK in this show, but nothing special, but I did find the character designs to be decent and the sets were pretty good. The animation is also OK, but it does get stiff once in a while. There was never a laugh to be found in this show. I never smiled, smirked, or even give a weak chuckle to the humor this show was attempting to bring. The Buzz on Maggie is just another bad teen show that never stood a chance, and the only redeeming value was that it got canceled in a year. Ironically, when I saw the intro to this show, the first thing it showed was a dump. That's where this show should have stayed, in the dump, not be brought on TV. I do apologize in advance to those who like this show, but for everyone else make like a fly and fly away from this show and never look back on it.moreless

I know no one will read this - but it had to be said...

By S-3ReviewsStuff, Dec 25, 2011

This show has to be a huge-as-all-get-out low for cartoons made by Disney... This also has to be what could be possibly the worst thing made by Disney's TV animation unit, if not (one of) the worst Western cartoon(s) I have ever seen.

It's haunted me for 7 years now. I hate it that much.

I know shows like Kick Buttowski, T.U.F.F. Puppy, and Jimmy Two-Shoes (to name examples of shows I actually like that are unfortunately heavily flawed BTW, nonetheless) get their fair share of (usually deserved when they do something wrong, but not always) flack - but trust me... THIS IS JUST...FAIL!

I mean, if it's not the premise being trashy, stupid, and insulting to the core audience (Teen angst/comedy/drama... lived through something that dies faster than humans on a daily basis like insects in a garbage heap facility?! WTF!), it's other things. But where do I even begin?

Despite advertising/publicity, which there was barely any of either (due to Disney knowing this showing was ironically what the setting for this noise was), it's not a teen angst/drama/comedy, nor does it work as one. There's no humor. There's no plotting. There's no effort to tell a coherent story or give us reason to relate to or like the characters therein. Stuff just happens in this show to advance BS/Potty humor. And seeing as it's just that (BS/Potty humor), this makes it badly written, forced, and insulting to the very viewers this show is trying to reach out to. No one deserves this, especially not kids (who we know can handle this shit and are much smarter/resourceful than what most American (And Canadian) adults are leading themselves to stupidly/insultingly think...

These failings are only intensified by the main characters, especially our titular one here, Maggie. Her character is terribly written. She is obnoxious, shallow, disrespectful, and a jerk to everyone who actually cares about her. Our main protagonist, everyone!

And don't get me started on how useless everyone else is to talk about. In fact I hate them so much, their names aren't worth knowing or remembering:

The parents of Maggie: Your basic example of why I hate Far-Right Wing/Highly Conservative American parents! Overprotective, out of touch with the real world, and no understanding of how to let their kids grow proper, nor discipline them proper when they know they're kids are wrong.

The Big Brother: Your typical jock/bully-level a-hole. Gets more love and attention than deserved for being good at BS that won't matter in any other profession...

The Little Brother: Probably the only character I like, but only because I felt sorry for him. He's treated like tras (the setting, ironically, where this show should have STAYED, BTW) by everyone and never given a chance to shine or develop to make this show remotely worth anyone's time. A pity, really. He was, once again, the only character I felt sorry for. Then again, his voice actor sucked like everyone, so whatever!

The Friends and Best Friends/Classmates of Maggie : All stuck in equally bland/forgettable or lesser parts. Nothing to say beyond that.

The antagonists: Name them, know them, a\or see them - they all suck. But not in a way you'd expect, either. Which brings up my next point...

Somehow, and almost always, Maggie loses or suffers - whether deserved (which is almost always, seeing as she's so unlikable/unrelatable) or not (when she actually does something to make here seem likable or develop her character for the better). I hate shows that do this noise to their characters UNLESS DESERVED: The antagonists rarely get any comeuppance for making our so-called protagonist feel like trash when she actually does something right. At the same time, this makes Maggie too pathetic to root for or give a damn about.

Rarely does Maggie win in spades - when she does win or do the right thing, she always loses in one way or another (or worse, in more ways than one)! This is a major failing for this show beside the fact that Maggie is unlikable/unrelatable.

Even when the antagonists do get their comeuppance or are defeated effectively, Maggie gets it worse. Every Episode is like this!

And the writing (which is unoriginal, filled with BS/Potty-level jokes, and unnecessary cliches) reeks of after-school special/PSA-level BS, just to help this show fail all around at the end of the day.

I'm sorry - I'll stick with Regular Show if I want to see that, thank you very much. Why? Because at least the antagonists in that show (almost) always GET THEIR COMEUPPANCE OR GET DEFEATED WHEN DESERVED (and not always just by our main protagonists for that show, which makes it even better!").

TL;DR - Here's the real sinker for this show: Disney really thought they could replace Kim Possible (one of Disney's all time best TV-animation series efforts, BTW) with THIS. This cheaply/ugly, Flash (misutilized)- animated, half-baked excuse for 21 (2-segment) episodes of poorly written PSAs I could get off of Local TV for nothing lost (nor gained, because who listens to PSAs, anyway?). How foolish Disney was ( and still unfortunately, is!)!!

What am I saying Basically? This show is an absolute disgrace. Those who made it should be totally ashamed of themselves, just as I am for having watched it...

The fact that I've been haunted by this for 7 years fills me with violent rage knowing that Dave Polsky (the a-hole behind it) got away with creating and staffing this BS (and certain episodes of MLP:FiM, which just like Regular Show, is of a lot more fun/entertaining/heartwarming to watch, BTW)!

Then again, the opening theme and setting were proof the only good thing about this show is that it was cancelled (After 21 full episodes, and it should not have even lasted even a fifth if 21 episodes (about 4 or 5 for the slow-witted) that long IMHO) with an unsatisfying, middle-finger-to-the-audience type of ending.

I hope I never meet him armed and thinking about this noise, that's for sure...

And me not cussing this noise out as much I'd love to... This is me being nice about it. This show deserves far worse than what I'm giving it here!

0.5 out of 10.

Peace.moreless

deserved to be canceled

By futuramarama, Nov 28, 2011

I only saw a few episodes, but this show was dreadful. I found very little things funny and the characters were all dumb and irritating, I thought. I honestly am glad this show ended when it did, and it only lasted 22 episodes or something like that. I thin kit deserved that, it wasn't even remotely watchable, to me at least. My overall grade for this series is an F, I can't think of one redeeming feature to this show at all, which is kinda sad if you think about it. Sorry to those who do in fact like it.moreless

A decent show that could've been longer....

And I'm not kidding with this, I liked that show.

Well, at least buzz on maggie did a hell lot better than atomic betty(see all of my tv reviews)

By GeforceDFS, Nov 28, 2011

Quick Review

Art 9/10 - Amazing design

Animation 8.5/10 - Pretty good; Little flaws, though

Plot - 6.5/10 - Not that understanding, but still cool.

It's sad that disney cancelled buzz on maggie! WHY?!

Character 7/10 - Due to short 22 episodes and possibly no third season, most of the character aren't that known. Other then that, it's disney.

Voice-acting and dialogue 10/10 - Great! Don't be afraid to watch the show! I have watched it.

Music 9.5/10 - Very great

Bottom line 7/10 - For people that think this show is girly and stupid, you're either retarded or a sexist. I am a guy that watched the show when I was 10 years old or 11....anyways, why do buzz on maggie was cancelled?! It was an awsome show, and stop dumping on this! Possibly the devlopers either ran out of ideas or are sexist because of low ratings. Guys can watch this show too. Come on! Get rocking!moreless

Fair, it could have been better.

By MadameCat, Nov 28, 2011

Okay, I'm going to do the unthinkable here and defend this show. The show was okay, but it could have gone somewhere. The fly idea was good, the plot needed work. Lots of work. It could have worked out as a scientific show, the artwork looked like it would come out of one, and so did the voices. The background could have been used as a school-video type documentary setting, with the trash and everything used as emphasis to the topic. The humor, on the other hand, could focus less on the gross, more on the flies themselves and their lifestyles.

I like this show, but--really, it needs a little more love. Don't send it to the swatter just yet...moreless

I want 30 minutes of my life back, take my advice if you want to watch a flash cartoon watch "Happy Tree Friends", not this crap [because Happy Tree Friends has blood & Gore]

By flcl_Wizard, Feb 04, 2011

What was disney thinking!!! even "Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Inland" is better than this Gargbe' I compare this to "Sagwa" both shows sucks, so take my advice if you want to watch a flash cartoon watch "Happy Tree Friends", not this crap [because Happy Tree Friends has blood & Gore]

By mitsukigirl13, Dec 05, 2010

This show was okay, but it would not be a good influence for little kids. It's basicly about a fly named Maggie who tries to con and scheme her way into getting or getting out of something. At the end, she's more miserable than she once was. Okay, first of all, she always got the short end of the stick. I know it was her own fault, but she should of won once. Also, this show had hardly any humor. Also everytime something unfair happened to Maggie (her room getting destroyed, her jerk brother taking over her hangout and convincing her parents to go where he wants to go) I just wanted to shout "That is so fricken unfair!" What happened to the quality Disney shows like Recess and The Weekenders that had humor and good morals? All I have to say is that after this show aired, poor Walt Disney was rolling in his grave. God bless you Walt, and we hope you forgive us for all the crap we put on the air with your good name.moreless

Okay, please tell me why so many people hate this show.

By TechnoPie, Sep 21, 2010

Seriously...why? Is it because it's about a fly? (Hey, that rhymed.) Well, think of the movies "A Bug's Life" and "Bee Movie." Those movies are about all sorts of bugs and stuff, and lots of people loved those movies. However, lots of people HATE this show. So, because something has a weird plot, you're just going to immediately say it's stupid and horrible? Maybe if you actually WATCHED the show, and you thought it was awful, I would understand that more. Anyway, I like this show because it's creative and different- not the same old stupid plots every time. It's funny and random, and the animation is REALLY cute. And it made me like flies a little bit more, lol. Disney was genius for making this show, and stinkin' IDIOTS for canceling it and replacing it with Recess. Pfft. Anyway, I love this show, and think it should come back. .:The End:.moreless

I'm really sorry fans, but I just can't stand this show at all!

By Teen_Tomboy, Jun 12, 2009

First of all, the plot for this show seemed really stupid, in my opinion. Every day adventures about a bug? Are you kidding me? Well the plot wasn't really what bothered me so much. I mean, a lot of shows out there have retarded plots, but they turn out to be a really great show. But it was more of the content in the show that made me hate it. You see, there was a major lack of comedy in this series, but when there was, it was always about Maggie getting hurt in one way or another. In almost all of the episodes it was about something horrible that happened to her. In most cases, she deserved it cause she was usually the one who got into trouble. But in episodes were she's trying to do the right thing, such as stopping that racoon from destroying the town, something bad always happened to her. I always felt so sorry for Maggie. She always got stuck with the bad luck, and I hate shows that do that! OK, so once again I don't mean to insult anyone who likes this show who reads this review, but I just hate this show with passion!moreless

Load More Reviews