The Following Season 2 Premiere Review: Bring It In for a Huggy Hug

By Nick Campbell

Jan 20, 2014

The Following S02E01: "Resurrection"

It's a rare condition, in this day and age, to read any good news on the newspaper page. But for Ryan Hardy, it's been a solid year. Sure, Season 1 didn't end all that smashingly for him, unless you count that nurse's head he smashed into the ground before twisting her neck and finishing off a spectacular run of self-defense murder to conclude the Joe Carroll days. But since then, things have gone famously.

Hardy's sober now. The scar that previously marked his Achilles heel, his soft and fragile heart, so tortured last year by all manner of emotional, physical, and electromagnetic devices, now looks like a chocolate smear on his torso. He's running. He got a fancy alarm system. And he's teaching our country's brightest youth how to recognize left-handed masturbators who brutally slay the women who unfortunately step into their paths.

But the best part, for Hardy at least, is that he's been able to distance himself from the Carroll cult that's been laying low since Carroll was confirmed dead in the boathouse explosion at Havenport. Even then we kind of knew that Carroll probably wasn't dead since we didn't see a body, and if there's any show on TV that follows soap-opera rules, it's The Following—but none of that was important as the first year passed. The night that Molly the Nurse attacked Hardy and Claire in his apartment, he also got to shed that miserable harpy from his life, and that kind of seems like a positive.

Ryan was crushed after realizing that Claire was put asunder, and my immediate thought was that Season 2 would allow for a new uptake of angst as Hardy deals with a laughable number of demons. But the first few minutes of "Resurrection" showed that shaking her might've been the best thing he could've done. He didn't have to raise Joey, the seed of his enemy. He looked like he was partying with some serial-murder-consultant groupies when he fell off the wagon. But then he got sober, and at the outset of the episode, he looked pretty put together. Or so it seemed.

With a resurgence of the Carroll cult by a bunch of followers wearing Joe Carroll masks (which are better than the nebbish Edgar Allen Poe masks, but so large that they make the followers look big-head NBA Jam characters), Hardy got his opportunity to truly reveal the lie he's been living. As you looked around his clean apartment and stable life, perhaps you were cynical that he'd been able to pull himself together and honestly leave Carroll behind. There must be some magic clue inside those tearful walls. But what could it be?

Despite pleas by Weston (welcome back, Shawn Ashmore!) to contribute to the case—and then more pleas from Hardy's niece Max (Jessica Stroup), who's now a detective with more access to NYPD intel than Hardy deserves, to go to the FBI with anything he might know regarding the five murders on a train car and a Gwendolyn copycat murder (we'll get to that ridiculousness in a bit)—Hardy refuses to play ball. Instead, locked in a room of that sterile apartment is his tower of dreams, his Homeland-style shrine to the aftermath of the Carroll cult bursting at every seam.

That new infusion of angst really stuck. But instead of going to the FBI—which essentially gave him a license to kill, break-and-enter, and sabotage every procedure that organized law enforcement has in place so as to not have its cases thrown out in court—Hardy has internalized the whole thing and deputized his niece to help him track down the remaining cult members. I mean, he's not so good that he's able to actually stop anything from happening, but he's good enough that he can determine the whereabouts of certain followers whose trails the FBI somehow haven't bumbled onto. I would understand if the reason for this was that Hardy has a complete lack of faith in federal agency that surrounded a house with heavy artillery and still let everyone escape last season, but I have a feeling he's holding information for the stroke-worthy reason that he feels this is something he has to do by himself in order to avenge all the people he's ever loved, and to protect the people he currently cares about.

And that's where things get goofy. Hardy was able to track down Carlos but he didn't have anything on the French woman facilitating this "resurrection" (I didn't catch her name, so I'm calling her Rousseau), nor did he seem to have any knowledge of Luke and Mark, the creepy twins (both played by a single actor, the serial-killer-typecast Sam Underwood) who seem to have that "personal" part of the murders down pat.

The Dead Ringers killed a golden-haired theatre actress and what ensued was an absurd blend of American Psycho (they sang along to a number of '70s music tracks) and the video for "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers (they slow-danced with her, put makeup on her, etc.). After it was all over, what I got from their unaffected state was that they're capable of anything—but I'm not sure if the events in Heather Clarke's apartment were meant to be macabrely funny, or representative of a brand of humor to which they're unaware. I assume it's the former, since later on, one of them also karate-chopped Carlos in the neck before putting him in the corner for possibly drawing Hardy's attention. But I also can't discount the latter, because The Following.

As the days go by, I can only assume this season will find a way to shed any sense of credibility from this opening episode (which it owned for about ten minutes) to plumb some ridiculous depths. Between this sleeper cell of Carrollism in New York to Emma's ridiculous hide-in-plain-sight look to however the show and the cult members are planning to reveal the grand design, it seems like we're primed for a level of ridiculousness that Season 1 only hinted at.

But something to look at for the season is how the show establishes clans and togetherness, particularly with the country-wide diaspora of the Carroll cult and Ryan's own new-found interest in creating a support system between the people at his meetings and his niece finding a larger role in the show. This first episode seems dedicated to identifying the Carroll cells as tribes of a nation who may not have a whole lot of communication between them with their separation but they still exist and may come together, just as Hardy may stitch together something of his own. I mean, who is Carroll eventually going to threaten of Hardy if he doesn't have some family matters?

NOTES

– Molly the Nurse was the last person Hardy killed. Do we have an accurate body count now, before we really get into the new season and he starts letting the bodies hit the floor?

– There seem to be a lot of characters roaming around: Between the new Parker (no-nonsense Gina Mendez, played by Valerie Cruz), Phillips, Max, the Dead Ringers, Rousseau, Barry the Sponsor, Melissa the "Distraction," and Lily Gray (the one who lived to tell the tale, played by Connie Nielsen), you have to wonder who's going to be killed off by season's end, and who's going to just dissolve out of sheer necessity.

– "I wish he was hairier." I like Max. She seems to have potential for humor in a universe where everyone takes themselves way, way too seriously. Maybe she can be the Munch of the group.

– Lily Gray survived, and Connie Nielsen is too striking of an actress for a bit part, so Hardy got to have his little apology scene. What're the odds that she's another member of this sleeper cell? Or is she the woman Hardy will eventually shack up with so that Carroll can kidnap her?

– My favorite part of Weston's new role as consultant on this case is that he's doing his best Hardy impression now that he's not officially FBI. Watch him skulk around the crime scenes. It's uncanny.

– During that scene where the FBI was combining evidence in what seemed like a darkened NASA command center, it seemed very obvious they were trying to convince the viewers they were following procedure for everything. "We are not inept this year!" they cried. And then there was that computer program that was able to identify 3-D body types from 2-D mugshots and 2-D camera footage. I mean, it was only 75 percent accurate, so it was only 75 perent ridiculous.

– "I considered running." He should've ran. He should've ran so far away. Try to get away.

– Emma's new look is ridiculous. The pink hair and piercings are like punk rock designed by someone who looks to Gwen Stefani for punk rock. Although I'm glad the show kept the Matted Hair of Sadness from last season. That Emma is completely confused about what's going on with the cult makes me pretty happy, though. She mad. Oh, she real mad.

– Hardy did have a few zingers. After knocking Carlos out (I was just about sure he was dead and that the Season 2 body count was starting early), he said, "I barely touched you." I feel like that was just for us.

– Hey, remember that time Hardy got hit by a cab and just walked it off? Guess that heart's doing just fine.

– Something I never understood about killers: If they're stalking their prey out of a newspaper or a playbill or something, why circle it? If you know who you're going after, what's the point of circling it in red pen? It seems obvious.

–The Dead Ringers asked Carlos for a "huggy hug" to settle their differences. Okay, Luke and Mark have to be tongue-in-cheek.

– Carroll actually IS alive. He didn't climb out of the rubble of the boathouse like the Shredder, but he did find a hatch in the floor so he could dive into the water. He does have a full beard now and seems to be shacking up with a prostitute (Carrie Preston) while going by the name of Darryl. I wonder how much Bordeaux he's getting in that trailer.

What'd you think of the Season 2 premiere? What do you think (or hope) is in store for the season?

• Comments (86)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • JohnMessenger Jan 28, 2014

I want to see if Carradine becomes more central than just Hardy's sponsor. I like Keith and will watch to see if he becomes a major player. It would pick up ratings if he did.

• AndrewHart Jan 27, 2014

Watched and I am done with this show. So pissed that Parker and Ryan's love are dead and yet that short purple haired bitch Emma is still alive.

• Bandango Jan 27, 2014

I'm not sure what was going on with that last scene. Maybe someone can help me out. There was a guy in a flannel jacket who paid for the hooker and walked outside. Then a black girl sees the news and calls him Darryl and wants him to come see this. Then somone else wearing Darryl's jacket walks back in and is revealed to be Joe Carroll. So the question is, who was that first guy? Did Joe kill him out in the street and take his jacket in an effort to assume his identity? And if so, why would he now be sporting a beard that the first guy obviously did not have?

• sshan39 Jan 27, 2014

I am really confused, my dvr recorded and hour and a half. but it was only a half hour and then something else after. Did i miss something? anyone else have this problem? Was the beggining when Harding was talking to the feds about Joe? I am thinking it started earlier than my dvr started recording?

• NicholasCampb Jan 28, 2014

It started almost immediately after the NFC Championship game which didn't end exactly on a half-hour mark so I think DVRs everywhere were a little wonky. The episode is replaying tonight at 8PM before the second episode premiere at 9PM.

• RobTheMonk Jan 27, 2014

I can't tell whether this show is trying to be a pardoy of itself or whether it genuinely is itself.

• Derpanos Jan 27, 2014

Wow, had this on the DVR since last week after I was done watching football, didn't even remember to watch it until yesterday. The premiere was almost everything that I expected it to be, with Claire's fate being 50/50 but not all too important in the grand scheme of things.

If Claire had lived, she would have given Hardy endless angst either by being kidnapped or going on a killing spree of her own after breaking from the mental instability as a result of what she endured throughout the season; on the flip side, predictably, her death allowed Hardy to express the stereotypical, "I will bring Carroll down on my own!" brooding type of behavior, where he's just so badass that he doesn't require assistance! Plus he can get hit by a taxi and get right back up as if nothing happened! Yeah, fearless Ryan Hardy!

I'm only sticking with this because of the Bacon (and Ashmore/Weston, to a lesser extent), but if the writers plan on replicating the idiocy of last season, at least ensure that it's hilarious! I won't say "unintentionally" because I think everyone involved with this show - both production-wise and viewing-wise - anticipates humorous absurdity.

I will not be naive enough this time around in getting attached to certain supporting characters, as chances are, if they're not poorly-written and/or incessantly irritating (looking at you, Emma), they'll die a stupid death. The twins and the French woman appear to be the Roderick/Louise of season two, which spells trouble for them going forward as the more compelling characters tend to bite the dust in this show (sans Weston).

Any plans to bring back the "weekly poll" from last year, Nick?

I have a feeling I'll be compelled to add the weekly poll starting this evening.

• obeezy Jan 27, 2014

I liked this episode. I am just happy that Hardy isn't limping around everywhere. He is surely going to kill a lot of people this season. He got hit by a cab and walked off like it didn't happen!

• TeamBanzai Jan 22, 2014

FYI, "Rousseau," is Camille De Pazzis from Last Resort. She's listed as playing "Gillian," according to IMDb.

Thanks, it wasn't available for me on IMDb when the post went live so I went with Rousseau. Although I kind of like it so I may stick with it.

• Whedonrules Jan 21, 2014

It was just funny to watch this piece of crap again. The piece de resistance was drunk Ryan Hardy. Just ridiculous. He's just making a mockery of his entire career in this steaming pile. Walking away from this suck fest. If you wanted to watch a show where the characters in the story were discussing a character played by James Purefoy that was good on Sunday night you should have been watching 'Episodes'.

• vcivi Jan 21, 2014

I thought is was a boring episode...the only cool scene was in the Metro..
    that was creepy...and loved how one of the twins, was talking and dancing with the dead girl...but somehow i am missing something.
    the excitement of the first season...Hardy was really boring this episode...even we now know that he is investigating the case by himself...
    let's see how it works out, but letting us wait that long for a season opening episode like this...nah...not good..

• See More Comments (38)