The Fall

Episode Reviews (14)

Good
7.6

Cult mentality is one of unity

By BevinChu, Jul 22, 2013

"Cult mentality is one of unity. It's human nature. We all want to belong. It's a primal

-- Debra Parker, FBI

That certainly explains the unity among sociopathic Law Enforcement Officials "LEOs" who like the Joe Carroll cult members, murder innocent citizens merely because they can.

Funny how the writers for "The Following" depicted the Joe Carroll cult. They might just as well have been depicting the federal government, the biggest cult of all.

Good episode

By mobilehead, Jun 01, 2013

You people don't seem to pay a lot of attention while watching the show, do you?. Maybe the whole thing is a bit unusual and some plots are a bit non-realistic but all in all everything looks good.

@tairefai

I guess you missed couple episodes where it was said how Joe was getting his followers. Prison inmates couldn't do it. Prison guards have done it once already. It would be stupid, as you wrote, to do it again in a short period of time. The whole penitentiary system would be on target by the police, FBI, SWAT, ATF and who knows what else.

@Follower

Claire was saved by the FBI. She didn't run. It was Charlie who ran away but since FBI didn't know how many people were inside they said "they". Try not to fall asleep next time ;-)moreless

The stupidity and predictabilty

By KrustyClown, Mar 21, 2013

I'm done with this crap. Just demonstrates how great shows like The American's, Banshee, Homeland, Shameless really are in comparison. This is a laughable mess. Uhghh. I'll never get these last 6 hours back, but I won't commit any bye

'The Fall' is an #EpicFail

By talrefai, Mar 02, 2013

Aside from the countless stupid scenes on this episode, just wondering... how come there aren't any cult members in Carroll's prison to help him escape when they managed to infiltrate everywhere else?

I'm VERY disappointed! the show started off well but after watching this ridiculous episode I'm starting to think that all of it was just a complete waste time.

By annrudkin5, Feb 28, 2013

Just wondering, maybe I wasn't paying attention... Charlie is holding Claire in his "basement cage", suddenly there's an intruder alarm and he sees the police on his video screen. They come in, throw some tear gas or something, and Charlie and Claire escape out a back exit. The police pursue, and announce "they're gone", or something to that effect. Now cut to Claire's home at the arrives and out comes Claire. From where?? How did she get home and why is there no reference to this or to did I miss something.moreless

Excellent Start, Dreadful (To Put It Lightly) Ending

By ARAP, Feb 27, 2013

The first thirty-some-odd minutes featured what I thought to be superb acting, writing, and directing, and we learned a lot about allow the characters. The story arc was developing nicely, and Hardy's taunting of Jacob, Paul, and Emma had the perfect balance between comedy and action. The FBI actually used real techniques, rather than being the idiots that they've been across much of the series, and I thought the flashbacks were more focused, focussing on only two scenarios, rather than the usual 5 or more. Half way in, I was thinking, this ending is going to be epic.

But the ending was far from epic. Things went downhill so fast. The FBI actually backs off a little bit, even though there's no logical reason for them to do so. Paul and Jacob set down another rope and a knife just feet away from Hardy, and Hardy stands up and grabs the rope and knife, yelling "don't shoot" and sitting back down shortly after. Apparently neither of them found that suspicious, because they didn't pat him down or even notice that the knife was missing. Claire's captor (forgot his name) leaves the keys on his chair as he makes a phone call, and Claire grabs them and runs. But she can't figure out how to unlock the door. I mean, come on.

Anyway, her captor figures it out, but rather than running after her, he slowly walks towards her, and when she finally manages to unlock the door, rather than trying to run, she decides to hide (which as you may recall is the same brilliant tactic that Megan used when Jacob cut her free in episode 4. So Claire is taken back into the room, and her captor kisses her. He then apologizes and begins to furiously bash his head against a pole. Then they cut to commercial break. When we saw this, my wife and I broke out laughing hysterically because it was just so outrageous.

Later, Emma runs off with Joey and Hardy, seeing his chance, breaks free, and stabs Paul before moving on to Jacob. And Hardy lets Megan go. But then the FBI decides to infiltrate the house, and two FBI agents hold Jacob and Paul at gunpoint. Then two other FBI agents (also Joe's followers) go in, guns ablazing and save the day for Paul and Jacob. Ryan catches up with Emma, as does his fellow FBI-man and a female local cop. And what do you know? The girl's a follower, too. Whoopdy-doo! There's a shock, and it proves that just about everybody in the world is a follower, the local police department does not perform very sufficient background checks, and that a beautifully written episode of The Following is too good to be true.

Then Hrdy shoots the female cop, and Joey for some reason willingly goes with Emma and they enter a car. Hardy doesn't think to shoot the tires and they get away. I thought the FBI had the place surrounded, but I guess not. And why didn't anybody go after them? Whatever. But then, Jacob and Paul get away through a different part of the property, and the FBI does nothing to try to stop them either. Then the flashbacks reveal that Annie Parisse's parents are mad at her for not allowing herself to be raped. And that's pretty much it. Oh, wait. The FBI finds out where Claire is being held, and they enter. Her captor throws a smoke grenade, runs off, and the FBI so eloquently states, "He's And that's the end of that and another disappointing episode.

But hey, next week's preview looks promising. Oh, never mind, it's about Carroll being transferred due to abuse. Because hey, that certainly warrants 60 minutes of television.

Additional Notes:

1. So these two episodes basically didn't happen. Because everything that happened, has just unhappened, with the exceptions of some minor characters' deaths.

2. How does a girl who lives in a cult where parents make their children be raped end up to get a job as a lead investigator in the FBI?

3. The first 34 minutes of this were excellent, and I sincerely wish I would have stopped watching at that point. Because the ending, quite frankly, sucked.moreless

Predictable events taking to far to the point of unbelievable

By kelvinking988, Feb 26, 2013

Started off well but now that everyone apart from the President of the US part of the gang its a bit too far fetched

The Fall

By TrueTvWatcher, Feb 26, 2013

The Fall was a perfectly entertaining episode of The Following and I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of character growth and plot development. The story was well written and I liked how everything played out. I look forward to watching what happens next! !!!!!!!!!!!

This episode started out good, then...

By Renraku, Feb 26, 2013

The first half of the episode was a showcase of great acting and writing. The mind games Kevin Bacon played with the trio was superb and Annie Parisse showed the first example in the series of the FBI not being completely incompetent.

And then...

It turned back into what basically amounts to the crime drama equivalent of slapstick comedy with everyone and their uncle suddenly being revealed as evil. (I use the term "revealed" loosely here because really did anyone not see the female cop twist coming?) And apparently this cult has an entire private military that they can just call on for support whenever the plot demands it.

I hate to get pretentious but the writers need to look up the term "deus ex machina" and learn that it is an incredibly lazy writing technique that needs to be avoided at all times.

Anyway, Kevin Bacon was awesome for the first 30 minutes of this episode so my rating is 5 because I give the first half a 10 and the second half a 0.moreless

Load More Reviews