News Briefs: The Goldbergs Is Planning a Tribute to John Hughes

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jun 27, 2014

KEEP THE CHANGE, YA FILTHY ANIMAL

... Break out the homemade prom dresses, the Judd Nelson fist pump GIFs, the copies of "Holiday Road," and everything else you can find, because The Goldbergs is doing a tribute to John Hughes in Season 2. Creator Adam F. Goldberg says they're writing the homage now and won't even hint at what movie it's from, but he did say it's "going to be very difficult to shoot and very expensive." Start placing your bets now in the comments, but if there's a God, I hope he's listening when I say, please, please, please, please let it be a recreation of this scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. [TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... The first night of Big Brother's two-night premiere (we ranked the first 8 contestants from worst to least worst) did well in the ratings, bringing in 6.6 million viewers and earning a 2.3 in the demo. That's up from last year's premiere, proving that high-definition really does matter, or we're all just really bored with summer TV. [TV Line]

... Sherri Shepherd is leaving The View. I know this is very hard on everyone and that you're all devastated, but we can get through this together. Oh wait, sorry, I confused this with my weekly Teen Wolf support group. Who cares about Shepherd? Do people still watch The View? With her contract expiring soon, Shepherd and ABC couldn't reach a new deal and she chose to walk instead, to which I say, "Hell yeah, unemployment!" Sherri, now that you have all that free time, you should come to my Teen Wolf support group! We eat muffins and drink bourbon and look at shirtless hunks for hours. [Deadline]

... Rumors are swirling in Hollywoodland that Judd Apatow might be taking his next project to Hulu. But the bigger news is who has been approached to star in the project, currently titled Love. If you guessed Gillian Jacobs then you're right and I'd also like to know what the winning lottery numbers are when you get a chance. According to someone familiar with the script, Love is "a character-based comedy revolving around relationships, romantic and otherwise, with one (very messed-up) couple in particular at the center." [Vulture]

CASTING NEWS

... Elden Henson, best known for his role in the Mighty Duck franchise and who will appear in the final two installments of the Hunger Games, has been cast in Netflix's Daredevil opposite Charlie Cox. He'll play Matt Murdock’s best friend and legal partner, Foggy Nelson. [EW]

... Oded Fehr will reprise his role as fan favorite Mossad agent Eyal on Covert Affairs this season. He'll feature into Annie's storyline for at least one episode. [TV Line]

... Joe Caniano (Boardwalk Empire), Andrew "Dice" Clay (Blue Jasmine), P.J. Byrne (Intelligence), and more have joined the cast of Martin Scorsese's next project at HBO. Set against the backdrop of the 1970s music scene in New York City, the project stars Bobby Cannavale as Richie Finestra, a record executive who's trying to restart his label with a new sound. Caniano plays Leo, Richie's chauffeur and confidant, Clay is Frank “Buck” Rogers, an obnoxious, drugged-out owner of a chain of radio stations, and Byrne plays Scott Leavitt, the head of legal for American Century Records. [Deadline]

REQUIRED READING

... Entertainment Weekly is offering a throwdown like they're Bobby Flay, arguing that Hannibal is better than both True Detective and Fargo. I know where I stand, Tim thinks Hannibal is "okay," but where do you stand? Read the piece and then decide for yourself. [EW]

thekaitling:list:which-show-is-better/

OTHER RECENT LINKS YOU MAY HAVE MISSED ON TV.COM

... Harvey and Mike played dirty in Round 3 of "Who's the Bigger Asshat" on Suits, and MaryAnn reviewed it.

... Graceland took a break from all the backstabbing and angst in favor of a straightforward mission this week, and MaryAnn also reviewed it.

... In honor of Girl Meets World's premiere tomorrow, we imagined what 5 other TV couples and their fake children might look like in their own spin-offs.

... We ranked the first eight houseguests on Big Brother from worst to least worst. 

• Comments (35)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • mrjimmyjames Jun 28, 2014

And the poaching of Community's cast begins.

The View was still on tv? Welll then.

I'm assuming this means the Goldberg family will hold an amusement park employee hostage this season. CLOSED FOR REPAIRS, HUH?!

Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson? Huh, I honestly can't think of anyone more lowkey to hire. Only thing I remember him from was The Butterfly Effect. That seems to be the motto for planning this series: don't hire anyone too well known. Like Charlie Cox; who on earth is that? But the guy has a nice, under the radar resume. It's a good strategy and further confirms my theory that Marvel is taking this property seriously and will put story and character development first.

• Raccoon1459 Jun 27, 2014

I hope they show Uncle Buck and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles clips in the John Hughes tribute.

• Writerpatrick Jun 27, 2014

Somewhere along the way Big Brother actually became cool to watch.

• Whedonrules Jun 27, 2014

I didn't even realize it but I've been waiting for that show from HBO forever. The music scene in New York City in the 70's?!?!? Yes! yes!! yes!!!please. Another Martin Scorsese period drama this time bringing in Mick Jagger to help?!?!? Yes please. Bobby Cannavale was superb in his run on the other Scorsese show and on 'Nurse Jackie' so I'll follow him here. The Dice Man! I'll take that as well. This one looks good. They've also added the most handsome black man on the planet to this cast - fresh off great turns on 'Copper' and 'Believe' - Ato Essandoh. Also not too shabby, Olivia Wilde is making her return to television on this one. When Jagger and Scorsese are on the phone I bet this would have been easy project to jump on board. IT NEEDS A NAME.

• DesolaKazeem Jun 27, 2014

Hannibal, obviously.

• Ian281099 Jun 27, 2014

True Detective was good but not great television. Fargo on the other hand was great from start to finish. But season 2 of Hannibal was something else, with one of the best season finales I've ever seen.

• kevbuffylost108 Jun 27, 2014

Hannibal's second season blew both shows out of the water IMO
    True Detective was good, but way over hyped and overrated, people are calling it the best show on TV, HA not even close. The finale sucked so bad.
    Fargo was brilliant, the premiere was incredible, 'Buridan's Ass' was the best the season could offer, exceptional episode, and the finale was a brilliant end to the season.
    Hannibal's finale was better than every episode of both Fargo and True Detective IMO, OUTSTANDING episode, TV at it's best.
    A LOT of people would disagree, but what good is it, if we agreed on everything.

Couldn't agree more. I can't wrap my head around the endless acclaim it got. It was fine television but I don't see what people see so gorundbreaking about it in a time when we have Masters of Sex, The Americans, Hannibal, Fargo, hell, The Good Wife on television. Was it the idea of movie stars agreeing to do a miniseries? The revolutionary concept of white guy leads and whiny female characters? The rambling, incoherent, sounds-profound-but-if-you-actually-listen-you-realize-is-complete-garbage dialogue?

I think it was the performances, if anything, fine, both Woody and Matthew were captivating, but i don't see how acting can solidify how good a TV show is. It wasn't as if we haven't seen it all before. And it was very hard for me to understand what they were talking about when they would mumble most of their lines.
    The one-shot-take thing was good, but everyone was saying it was one of the best things they have ever seen on TV, to me, it made for an exhilarating scene, but it done nothing for the plot nor was it as good as people claim it to be.
    Sorry about the rants, I just didn't think the show was as good as the majority of critics and TV fans claim it to be.
    Banshee was much better and Hannibal blew it out of the water.

Oh and I forgot to post this.... this is just True Detective to a tee

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/cfb2b0f54a/no-one-can-understand-true-detective-with-joel-mchale-jim-rash

Saw that on the soup. It's perfect

• See More Comments (14)