A Little Romance

Episode Reviews (6)

Superb

One of the funniest half an hours in TV history.

By damanray, May 31, 2010

Oh it doesn't get better than this.

'Shrimp!' Remains one of my favourite Blanche moments ever. Oh i just laughed and laughed. This show really is such a cut above the rest.

So rose is dating a midget and everybody reacts differently to the whole thing.

'Hello, I'm doctor Jonathon Newman'

Dorothy: Are you absolutely sure?

'Ah Blanche This is doctor Jonathon Newman'

Blanche stares at him 'Get out of here'

Sophia walks in a stars DOWN at this man. We all get worried that she's about to say something horrible. The expression on Dorothy's face is hysterical. She doesn't end up saying anything, but OMG we all had our hearts in our mouths.

And to top it all off Blanche shares the time she went to her Senior prom 'with a Yankee' Classic Comedymoreless

Rose is dating Dr.Jonathan Newman but neglects to mention one little thing. He's a midget! When he arrives for dinner at Blanche's invitation, the laughs begin and don't stop.

By grewupwatching, Feb 25, 2010

The standout episode from season 1. I've watched it so many times, I know every line. It's not hard to see why this won the Emmy for writing that year. Rose is rather bashful about talking about her new beau and avoids inviting him for dinner. When Blanche asks him over Rose purses her lips so tight they almost disappear. When the doorbell rings, Blanche answers, sees this little man and shuts the door, saying it was one of the Doanldson boys selling a newspaper subscription! When the bell rings again it's Dorothy who answers and she immediately gets uncomfortable after meeting Dr.Johnathan Newman. "Let me take your height!...oh hat" Blanche reenters and it all starts. After being introduced and once Rose comes in, Blanche thinks it's a practical joke played by Rose to get even. As they stand there, Blanche finally realizes she's wrong and lets out a little nervous laugh that is priceless. Rue McClanahan at her best. When Blanche comes in and offers Shrimp, it's hysterical.

The rest of the episode is fun, even the silly dream that Rose has. The cameo from Jeanne Dixon is really funny. At the end, when Rose is expecting a proposal, and finds herself being dumped because she's not Jewish is really funny. The first episode that is funny all the way through and a landmark that lead to Golden Girls being a classic!moreless

May I take your height?

By readysetgo88, Aug 17, 2008

This is considered a series classic and it's a stand out from the first season (which was the weakest in my opinion), but I don't love it. Dr. Jonathan Newman actually really irritates me. Plus I don't care how you look at it, it was wrong of him to dump Rose because she's not Jewish. Why ask her out in the first place? But aside from that, it's a well written episode. The scene where Jonathan meets Blanche, then Dorothy, then Blanche again is a true Golden Girls classic moment. Blanche is hillarious there. My favorite part of the episode is probably Blanche's story about her prom date ("I went to my senior prom with a YANKEE!!") Love it. I hate the dream sequence though. I know it's supposed to be stupid in order to be funny, but I really think it stays at stupid. Great line at the end... ("How was the shrimp?"..."Unfortunately I'll never know.") Not a bad episode, but not a series best in my opinion.moreless

Short but sweet.

By tvFanatic2008, Oct 10, 2006

Rose worries that her new relationship with a midget is going to garner stares. It was great seeing the dream sequence where Sophia plays the priest. It was great seeing all the fiasco that ensued when Blanche tried to stop making jokes about the man being small. This was a very clever season one episode.

Shrimp?

By Ummagnumma, Jan 26, 2006

This is probably one of the best half hours in sitcom history. In one of the few cases where the Emmys were dead-on, the Golden Girls were a popular award recipient. This episode, which won an Emmy for its script, is the quintessential example of why The Golden Girls will always remain one of the greatest sitcoms in TV history.

This was one of Terry Hughes's first episodes (of The Golden Girls) in the directing helm, and it is clear why he was chosen to direct full time after this effort. The extended sequences in this episode were pitch perfect in tone and delivery, undoubtedly a Hughes trademark on the series (Just compare Season 2 episodes to Season 6 episodes, e.g.).

But as much as Hughes delivers in the directing front, it is the combination of terrific writing and terrific acting that make this episode a winner. Barry Fanaro and Mort Nathan delivered one of their best scripts with A Little Romance. And the results were impressive.

There are several famous sequences in this episode. The introduction of Rose's date was dynamite (Dorothy: May I take your height? -- hat!), Blanche's "shrimp?" was perfectly delivered, Blanche's prom story (Benjamin wasn't black. He was from New Jersey!) was hysterical, and the dream sequence was brilliantly silly.

Most writers dream of making an episode like this. Nathan and Fanaro would deliver several more through the first four seasons of this series, but this will always be their masterpiece. Before this episode, The Golden Girls was good. After this episode, The Golden Girls was immortal.moreless

One of the best comedic episodes!

By friedgoatee, Oct 31, 2005

This episode sticks out in my mind whenever I think of The Golden Girls. "A Little Romance" won the writing emmy for The Golden Girls in 1985, it's fresmen year. This episode is a perfect example of how natural the punch-lines follow each other in this amazing series. The insults are sly, and the embarassing introduction to Dr. Newman is classic comedy as the girls keep stumbling over themselves to make him feel less "ill at ease." The ending is unexpected and wonderfully constructed. The audience loved it, and so do I. I feel like I should be embarassed that I know this episode so thoroughly, but really, how could I not when I have access to such amazing comedy!moreless