And Ma Makes Three

Episode Reviews (4)

Great

Sophia ruins Dorothy's relationship

By readysetgo88, Aug 09, 2008

I think sometimes throughout the series it's difficult to know whether to laugh at how much Sophia messes with Dorothy or whether it's actually pretty sad. This episode is a good example of where it's not funny. I don't hate the episode (there are quite a few that are a lot worse) but I do think it's somewhat sad. I usually don't feel sorry for Dorothy even when Sophia is making fun of her, but here it seems awful that Sophia is messing up her relationship with a good guy when it really should be obvious to Sophia that she's ruining things for her. Sophia is depicted as a bit tactless, but not generally uncaring, and so I think it's out of character for her to do this to Dorothy. And I always wondered what happened after Sophia left on her vacation. I would hope that Dorothy called up her boyfriend and told him she could go, but of course they didn't show that... Again, this episode watchable, but not one of my favorites.moreless

Sophia needs to meet some new friends.

By tvFanatic2008, Oct 10, 2006

I did like how Sophia met her new friends and seeing how Dorothy's plans kept getting screwed up because of her. I liked how Sophia thought they were all going on vacation. However, I think that Dorothy should have believed Sophia when she told Dorothy that she had new friends.

And you were there for me, just like always...

By Ummagnumma, Apr 27, 2006

Some of the best episodes of this show focused on the relationship between mother and daughter, or more specifically, Sophia and Dorothy. As much banter, pessimism, and insulting quips that the two of them offer, they are two of the most lovable and loving characters in sitcom history. That\'s what makes this episode, a cleverly written yarn by Winifred Hervey, particularly effective.

Dorothy finally has a man in her life, and a seemingly good one, named Raymond (played by James Karen). Raymond and Dorothy seem to be a good match, but their timing is less than optimal. Sophia is depressed because her best friend Mildred has moved away. But it\'s not just that -- all of her friends seem to be disappearing (whether by death, insanity, or new location). She\'s the only one left of her \"old gang\". So Dorothy decides to cheer her up by letting her tag along for a golf game with herself and Raymond. Unfortunately, she becomes a permanent tag-along, and this is becoming a problem for Dorothy and Raymond. As the weeks of \"And Ma Makes Three\" roll along, Raymond is becoming more tiresome of the \"dating-your-mother\" gag.

So Dorothy and Raymond plan a getaway just for the two of them. But Sophia happens to hear of the plans and invites herself along for the cruise. As the pressure from Raymond and from depressed Ma grows, Dorothy decides to compromise by not going at all. But Sophia is aware of Dorothy\'s impatience and wants to make new friends. So she does so, but Dorothy doesn\'t buy Sophia\'s insistence that she is going on a trip of her own with her new friends.

Dorothy decides to say no to her trip with Raymond. Raymond then decides to call things off with Dorothy (for a while) until Dorothy gives more attention to the relationship. But, Dorothy is surprised to discover that Sophia is indeed going on the trip after all. Which leads to this exquisite exchange:

Dorothy: Ma! You\'re really going, aren\'t you?

Sophia: I tried to tell you.

Dorothy: But I thought you needed me. I thought you needed me to take care of you.

Sophia: I did need you. And you were there for me, just like always. I love you, [Dorothy]. But, hey, I\'ve got my own life to live. See ya!

It\'s really one of the most memorable moments on the show. It shows just how close the two of them are, and it is a testament to the great acting interaction between Bea Arthur and Estelle Getty.

While this episode is not particularly funny, it is memorable and actually quite moving. I give this episode an enthusiastic thumbs up.moreless