Dorothy's New Friend

Episode Reviews (5)

Great

Absolutely hysterical

By readysetgo88, Aug 09, 2008

This is definitely one of my favorite Golden Girls episodes of all time. I could never get sick of watching the scene where Barbara Thorndyke first meets Blanche and Rose. It's hysterically funny how pretentious Barbara is, and how clueless Blanche and Rose seem to be. I just love the way their cluelessness seems to take Barbara down a peg... instead of fawning over her intelligence and wit the way Dorothy does, they miss it, which seems to really frustrate Barbara. I also love the second scene they have together, where Rose talks about playing "Oogle and Floogle" (Adults play it!) Those two scenes are what really make this episode so special. I also adore the scene where Dorothy references Three's Company and Blanche and Rose put her down... "At last a reference from Dorothy that even we illiterates can understand..." "I guess her well of knowledge has run dry... That's a metaphor, Dorothy." (That right there is Rose at her best... classic!) This whole episode is one laugh right after another.moreless

Dorthy new best friend makes Blanche and Rose Jealous.

By yuki_megami, Jun 16, 2007

Dorthy went to an book signing.She meets an author name Barbra.Who she became fast friends with.When she brought her over to meet her roommates.Rose and Blance impression was that they didn't liked her.Even though Dorthy likes her.They had to play along with it.However Dorthy makes them upset when she wasn't going with them to the masquarade ball.She was going with Barbra somewhere else.The girls think that Barbra isn't an good friend.When Dorthy learn how an friend Barbra can be.She rejected her friendship.

Yeah this was an good episode it shows who u can trust your real friend that is.moreless

Dorothy sacrifices Rose and Blanche for a snobby new best friend.

By tvFanatic2008, Oct 10, 2006

I loved how Rose really didn't understand that Dorothy was going to chose the book thing over being the rearend of the donkey. Rose was just so oblivious. I really liked the adult hide and go seek game. I didn't like the character of Barbara and I also didn't like Dorothy treating Blanche and Rose with disrespect but I liked seeing how Blanche and Rose tried to give Dorothy the silent treatment. All in all, not a bad episode.

There's only room for four in this bunch.

By Ummagnumma, Mar 23, 2006

"Dorothy's New Friend" is at the center of this terrific episode, the first written by Robert Bruce and Martin Weiss for this series. They would have several excellent follow-ups.

This episode is inundated with great punch lines. When Blanche tries to convince Dorothy that there are many stimulating conversations in this household, Rose immediately appears and discusses the latest news in a less-than-reputable magazine. "Rose, you can't believe everything that's written in that rag." After Rose asks why Blanche has a subscription to it, Blanche replies, "Because it's the only one Elvis will talk to from beyond the grave!" When new friend Barbara tells Sophia that her daughter is a beautiful, brilliant woman, Sophia replies, "Boy, you guys never lose your imagination!" When Dorothy realizes that Barbara is just as selfish and pretentious as Blanche and Rose contend, Dorothy tells Rose that she would be happy to play the "horse's behind" in the upcoming social event that means so much to Rose.

It's all in the delivery in this episode -- watch how brilliantly Bea Arthur delivers her lines in this episode. Her delivery marks the evolution of her character in this episode (friendly jabbing to pretentious jabbing to ashamed jabbing -- but always intelligent and dry). Watch how Blanche and Rose can't hide their personalities despite their best efforts after Barbara's first-run disapproval of them (imitating real life incredibly convincingly). Finally, watch the wonderfully predictable (and yet outlandishly funny) segues when one of the girls describes their thoughts on another character.

"Dorothy's New Friend" succeeds where "Blanche's Little Girl" fails -- it makes an unlikable character funny and offsets the focus from the guest character and places it on the main cast. In this way, there is not a bitter taste of anger and hatred toward the unlikable character but instead focuses on the likable and empathisable characters from the main cast. Ultimately, this episode is much more watchable and (as a result) much funnier.

With impressive skills in the delivery department, Arthur, White, McClanahan, and Getty give this episode the goods -- and supply a truly magnificent half hour of comedy.moreless