Isn't It Romantic

Episode Reviews (7)

Superb

Remind me of my unrequited female love

By Koalabbilovey, Mar 21, 2013

This episode make me sad and very confused. Because i am also in love with a woman i can never have because she is not attracting to woman and she is thousand of miles away. Yet i am still so desperately and hopelessly in love with her everyday and my heart aches and hurt for her. She was my former therapist and i was completely heart broken when she decide to terminated me because she felt like she can't provide the help i needed. She thinks i am being too attracting to her and it get in the way of our treatment. :( My life simply turn upside down the day i walked out of her office at April.14.2011. :(moreless

A classic episode. Dorothy's friend Jean arrives for a visit. Jean has one little secret, she's a lesbian. She gets a crush on Rose. Meanwhile, the girls get a new VCR and Sophia starts renting dirty movies!

By grewupwatching, Jul 19, 2010

This is an outstanding episode. It shows Dorothy's friend Jean, a lesbian, to be a normal everyday person, with real feelings. She develops a crush on Rose, of all people. The scene where she tells Rose her feelings is very sweet. Rose, who is no dummy, knows exactly what Jean is talking about. When she tells Jean that she doesn't understand 'those kind of feelings, but if I did I'd be flattered' is a sweet and genuine way to let Jean down without insulting her for being gay It's a hallmark for the series, and really told viewers in 1985 the truth.

Also the funniest scene ever takes place with Blanche's reaction to Jean being Lebanese, 'isn't Danny Thomas one?' When Blanche finds out that Jean prefers Rose over her is priceless! "To think Jean would prefer Rose over me. That's ridiculous!" Blanche at her best with Dorothy and Sophia pouring on the laughs.

A total favorite episode. Love it.moreless

An old friend of Dorothy's visits and brings with her a secret.

By MajorRoon, Apr 09, 2010

Jean, a lesbian and an old friend of Dorothy visits the four ladies, just to promptly fall for Rose. Although Rose does not reciprocate, the writers managed to let Jean down gently and in a very respectful and sweet manner. For being written in 1986 the episode deals with homosexuality almost better than shows produced today; thumbs up! Betty White's Rose is endearing as always. Rue McClanahan manages to pull off Blanche's snotty, jealous routine perfectly. Lois Nettleton did an admirable job as Jean, although it must have been a difficult role to play at the time. A great episode which, hopefully, clarified a few things for some viewers in 1986.moreless

Dorthy's old college friend, Jean comes to visit. Jean is a lesbian, whose longtime female lover died, and develops a crush on Rose. Meanwhile, someone uses a new VCR to watch "dirty" movies.

By johndoe70, Apr 09, 2010

In the pilot episode, the girls had a gay live-in cook. For one reason or another, depending on who you ask, the character was dropped. Yet, the series would not shy away from postive depictions of gay and lesbian characters.

This is the first episode in the series to deal with homophobia. Dorthy and her mom have no problem with the fact that Jean is a lesbian and is mourning the death of her wife.

However, they do not think that Blanche and Rose would be as accepting, especially when Jean develops a crush on Rose. Yet, both 'Golden Girls' handle the 'secret' well and, later on, Blanche will deal with her brother coming out and marrying his boyfriend.

Meanwhile, their is a secondary storyline about a new VCR and 'adult' movies that is incredibly funny and heartwarming to watch unfold.moreless

Dorthy's friend Jean comes and visit.However she's hiding an secret from Blanche and Rose........

By yuki_megami, Dec 26, 2007

Dorthy's best friend Jean comes and visit.Jean asked Dorthy,if it was alright to tell Dorthy's friends the truth about her.Dorthy was about to say yes.However when she see's Rose and the Ice Cream cones,she decided best to keep it as an secret.Rose takes Jean,out to see a movie.After coming back,Jean is getting more concern about herself that she should leave.She tell's Dorthy,that she is falling in love with Rose.Which is an big concern for her.Late one night,Rose offers Jean,for her to sleep in her room.Not to disturb Dorthy who is sleeping.Jean decided to tell Rose,the truth.Which shocked Rose of course.She told Jean,if she was liked her.She would understand.

It was funny with Blancne messing up with the words and reaction.moreless

Ah. . .isn't it romantic?

By tvFanatic2008, Oct 09, 2006

A love story for the ages, when Dorothy's friend Jean learns she has a crush on Rose. The part where Rose pretends to be sleeping after realizing what Jean was saying was classic. I thought it was quite touching that Rose didn't become homophobic and treated her like a normal human being. The "lebanese" part when Blanche says "Isn't Danny Thomas one?" was hilarious. And I loved how Blanche's insecurities show because no matter how much she loves men, she was upset that a woman didn't pick her. This is a series classic. Very well written.moreless