That Was No Lady

Episode Reviews (4)

Great

This one is below average.

By readysetgo88, Aug 09, 2008

This episode is very "blah"... It's not bad but it's not very funny. I guess it's because it was one of the first made that the girls' personalities don't really seem that consistent with later seasons (for example, Dorothy having an affair and Blanche encouraging her to do it). The side story where Blanche tries to sell Rose her crappy car is slightly funnier. The best scene is when Rose answers the phone and tells off Dorothy's boss ("Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were the man that Dorothy's having the affair with... I mean the man that is always so fair with... her...") I would watch it for that scene alone, but the rest is take it or leave it.moreless

A Handsome, Virile Gym Teacher Fulfills His Fantasy by Carrying on an Affair...with Dorothy Zbornak?!?

By millerem99, May 09, 2008

After sleeping for three weeks with a colleague from work, Dorothy is told by her Prince Charming while in the motel that he's married, and he won't leave his wife because he's scared to do so. Although she initially walks out, Dorothy ends up agreeing to meet him and sleep with him again. Eventually, feeling like she's "the other woman" catches up to her and she breaks things off for good with Mr. Liar/Cheater/Coward.

That's pretty much the entire plot of this episode, and I have a number of problems with it. First of all, Dorothy didn't get righteously furious with Glenn after finding out he'd lied to her for almost a month and led her to believe he was single. What a horrendous discovery, and yet Dorothy, although she marches out of the motel, doesn't let him have it and a few days later agrees to see him again as though nothing happened. Not only that, but didn't Dorothy suspect she was being used as his bimbo (funny as that sounds for angular, scary Dorothy) when she immediately started shacking up with him in a cheap motel and wasn't taken out for dinner nor asked to meet her roommates?

The epsiode really turns me off to Dorothy's character because everything she does here is for the wrong reasons. She continues the affair because Glenn makes her happy (entirely selfish reason) and yet she ends the affair for an equally selfish reason: she doesn't feel respected. Not because it is wrong, not because it's bad for marriage, bad for Glenn's unknowing wife, bad for Glenn whom she allegedly "loves," but because it's bad for Dorothy's self-esteem. Entirely lacking in judgment and integrity on Dorothy's part, and it really sickens me to hear her and Glenn exchanging how much they "love" one another.

As if that were not bad enough, did the writers really expect audiences to believe that a tall, decent-looking guy like Glenn would risk his marriage for some thrill-seeking with...Dorothy? A thirty-something fellow teacher with an equally fit figure would be plausible, but Dorothy as Dreamgirl was stretch on the imagination (pardon the pun).

One more thing: I also didn't care for the fact that Blanche pushed so hard for Dorothy to continue her homewrecking ways - it was out of character, even for Blanche.moreless

Dorothy compromises her morals for true love.

By tvFanatic2008, Oct 10, 2006

It was great seeing Dorothy have to choose between a great, new, blossoming romance, and everything that she was taught growing up. It was also funny with the whole car buying thing. Although this episode could have been a little funnier, it was great to see Dorothy choose the right thing in the end.