The Good Guys

By petrrericha39, Mar 01, 2013

Sql serl !!!

Sad News

By CarolMurrell, Aug 12, 2012

The Good Guys was a great show. Too bad it was cancelled. It should have been given another season to build an audience.

Tha Good Guys

By CherylEvans1, Jun 08, 2012

I loved it!!! I'm so sick of you all pulling something someone besides teenagers want to watch. There are more of us baby boomers want to see besides if some can dance or sing. Hows the other shows doing for you?

Very good show, cut short on its way to being great.

By praeda, Mar 13, 2011

The Good Guys is fast-paced, funny, and very self-aware (although it might have benefited from a more interesting name). It knows its strengths and it always plays to them. Aside from the occasional romance drama between Jack and Liz, nothing gets in the way of the comedy on this show. It's a satire of buddy cop shows, particularly those from the 70's. The "loose cannon" cowboy cop archetype is brilliantly subverted with the barely functional Dan Stark. At the same time however, it is also reconstructed. Although the viewer is made to sympathize with those who disapprove of his not-exactly-by-the-book methods, we also see that he eventually gets the job done... usually... in a roundabout way. The guest parts in each episode are always hilarious and have real, developed personalities rather than being treated like throw-away's by the writers. Also, having the partners work in property crimes and be regarded with so little respect by everyone else keeps things fresh.

Around halfway through the season, I decided I really only had two complaints about The Good Guys:

1) Not enough funny parts for women.

2) Though I love when Jack argues with him, I felt it would be nice to have a character who really admired Dan and thought he was like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Then they introduced Sam, a socially awkward female lab tech who always jumps at the chance to help Dan even if it puts her job at risk.

This show was getting better with every episode and it's a shame it wasn't given time to grow.moreless

Somethings are too good to last...

By jena911, Jan 24, 2011

I loved this show for the short time it was on...

putting it on a Friday made is totally forgettabl to watch but when it was on mOndays i could get thru school well enough.

The Old guy was charming and lovable, the young guy was endearing- HELL i even liked the crooks most of the time!!!

I am sad to see it's ending but will buy eps...DAMN! how can the Office continue with Steve Carrel gone and Bones drag on pointlessly for a lustless, mystery-less 6th season but this little gem is swept under the rug like a diamond ring in the messy diaster that is a livingroom of life....

u guys made me laugh! u made friends laugh! I WILL LOVE U FOREVER!moreless

I absolutely LOVE this show! I've been watching the first/last season and it is hillarious! Please bring it back!

By PaulaExelbyA, Jan 18, 2011

Soooo funny! Please bring it back! I love, love, love this show! Dan Stark is one heck of a character, why is it that good shows like this always seem to get the shaft? I started watching this show in October and have loved every minute of it. Now I watch it whenever I am exercising, I don't care how many times I watch an episode, they are still funny every time! My husband is now a huge fan too, I don't think it got the publicity that it should have, I just happened to find it when clicking through the channels one night and laugh my butt off, I haven't laughed that hard at a tv show in a long time! Get it together people, and bring this show back.moreless

Lemme make my strongest case he can for Fox's new cop show, The Good Guys.

By eastmav, Jan 02, 2011

Despite a terrible marketing campaign for The Good Guys (formerly known as Jack & Dan, then known as Code Five Eight) I had been so super excited for this show for both the casting and the way they hyped up Bradley Whitford's moustache. I don't know what it was about the 'stache that grabbed me - it was hypnotic. When the show made it to air, it was even more intense, the way the show blew by I had to lean in to make sure I didn't miss a trick.

They set quite a precedent in breakneck storytelling with the pilot, leading me to think that maintaining the pace and density of the show is going to be a serious challenge. The pilot almost seemed like it was a two or even three hour episode crammed into 46 minutes. The plot was practically moving in three dimensions with subplots flying back in time, across town, and then back to the here & now, making like 6 things happen in the space of 2 minutes. It does all this without being crowded though. Things were just...efficient.

The essence of the show is two Dallas cops enduring an open-ended punishment by being constantly saddled with inane routine investigations and mundane calls. Detective Stark (Bradley Whitford) is being punished for being a drunken mess (and the prototype for policing from an age long past), while Detective Bailey (Colin Hanks) is being made to suffer for being an incorrigible smart-ass. These frivolous cases are likely to blossom into something larger and more sinister (while still remaining funny).

For instance, the pilot begins with a clumsy break-in where the hapless thief only manages to abscond with a humidifier which he takes back to the pawn shop he operates. Elsewhere in Dallas, a Mexican drug mule decides to turn on his boss and makes off with a whole pile of money and drugs and heads straight to the plastic surgeon to get cut to look like Erik Estrada. During the procedure, a freak accident causes the operating room to explode, killing the drug mule and his henchmen which leads the plastic surgeon to call his friend, the hapless criminal from the pawn shop to dispose of the bodies.

Meanwhile Detectives Stark and Bailey are called in to investigate the humidifier case which leads them to the local pawn shop (yes, the thief's pawn shop). Unbeknownst to everyone, the drug kingpin who was stiffed by his mule has sent in his number 2 assassin to recover his money and drugs, with the hitman kidnapping the plastic surgeon who then spills his guts about the pawn shop guy, which leads him to the pawn shop and a gun battle with the detectives. Even more unbeknownst to everyone, it turns out that the traitorous drug mule didn't die in that freak accident and is still out for his money, looking less like Erik Estrada and more like a guy who was blown up and left for dead in a car for a few days. I think all of this only brings us to the halfway mark and there are still plenty of twists to come.

I'm sure there's a high degree of skepticism (or Cynicism? Booyah!) at what a cop show at Fox of all places has offer that people haven't already seen. But there's a few twists in The Good Guys' presentation to help it stand apart from the herd. One of them being that it is stuff we've all seen before...back in the 70's. The retro look and style of the narrative seem to be in the spirit of Starsky & Hutch, yet not the least bit straight faced and completely self-aware. This kind of self-awareness is further demonstrated through some of the uncanny connections the actors have with the world outside the show. As a believer in the nature of pop-culture being a living, breathing and ever-expanding entity, I love this kind of interconnected stuff. Here's a few examples:

When Detective Dan Stark (Bradley Whitford) first lays eyes on the Camaro I can only hope will be making a return appearance, on comes Billy Squire's The Stroke, much like when Billy Madison rolls up for his first day back in high school in his almost identical Camaro. And who played the bad guy in Billy Madison? None other than future West Wing star Bradley Whitford.

As Detective Jack Bailey (Colin Hanks) is introduced to us, it becomes clear that he is a smartalec knowitall by the numbers cop, much in the same vein of Detective Joe Friday from Dragnet. And who played Joe Friday's partner in the feature film? The Man With One Red Shoe himself, Tom Hanks.

And who should they choose as their guest star? Nia Vardalos, who rose to fame after writing and starring in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. And who was that film financed by? Colin Hanks' stepmother, Rita Wilson.

What does all that mean? Absolutely nothing. It certainly has no bearing on the show itself, it's just really strange.

The Good Guys begins its first season run this Monday night on Global - that's Fox to my American cousins.moreless

Incredibly hilarious!

By Sami5118, Jan 02, 2011

This show was incredibly hilarious! I think that it was the funniest show on FOX. They made a big mistake in cancelling it. Anyway, I liked this show because it was funny from the beginning to the end and for an hour long show, that's quite a long time. What I liked the most about it was that there was nothing really inappropriate about it ( which might be why it got cancelled in the first place), and that the characters were really funny,( Especially Dan). I hope that this show gets picked up by another network because it is too funny to get rid of.moreless

A great show that ended to soon.

By paoros16, Dec 19, 2010

The Good Guys is about two detectives Jack Bailey and Dan Stark who are stuck in small crimes, though this often lead them into bigger cases and even bigger trouble. Jack Bailey is a cop who follows the rules but has an annoying habit of making enemies and Dan Stark is an unpredictable old-school cop whose heroic rescue of the Governor's son keeps him employed. Their only ally is ADA Liz Traynor who must balance chastising them with standing up for them to their boss Lieutenant Ana Ruiz. I really enjoyed this show and was sad to see it go. I was hoping that it would at least stay on as a summer show. I enjoyed the partnership between Dan and Jack, the comedy of the show and the antics of Dan.moreless

Orange County meets Sunset strip

By ChristineMoor2, Nov 27, 2010

I just re watched Orange County today and remembered why I so enjoy Colin Hanks straight man humor. He is the perfect foil for Bradly Whitford's character in this buddy/cop show. Having grown up in the 70s I can also appreciate the sound-track and the cars. Recently while I was sitting in the Animal Hospital with my dog an old man was watching the TV and making commentary to his son. He said "There is a fricken cop show for every town in the US of A". I started laughing but realized he was probably right, but this show uses Texas as an additional character not just a backdrop. Thanks for a well written comedy in a year otherwise overridden with reality TV.moreless

Load More Reviews