News Briefs: Marilyn Manson Is Joining Once Upon a Time

By Kaitlin Thomas

Oct 19, 2013

NO, YOU DEFINITELY READ THAT HEADLINE CORRECTLY

Marilyn Manson is guest-starring on ABC's Once Upon a Time. He'll appear—or at least his voice will appear—beginning in November. Manson will lend his vocal chords to Shadow, "a character whose voice will give life to the very essence of Neverland." According to creators Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, they wanted "someone with the vocal ability to make our skin crawl." Listen for Mason to make his debut in November. Uhhhh, BRB, canceling my vacation to Neverland ASAP. [Rolling Stone]

BUSINESS TIME

... NBC has ordered for four more scripts for Sean Saves the World and somewhere a baby unicorn just died. [Deadline]

... Vince Gilligan has some deep thoughts about piracy, but here are the basics: "Dear internet, Shame on you for downloading Breaking Bad illegally. But thanks for your help in raising awareness of our show! P.S. Netflix, you da bomb. XOXO Vince" [Variety]

... BBC America has greenlit Intruders, an eight-episode series based on Michael Marshall Smith’s 2007 novel The Intruders. From Glen Morgan (The X-Files, Final Destination), the series explores a secret society that's dedicated to finding immortality by stealing the bodies of other people. I watch The Vampire Diaries and being immortal is so not what it's cracked up to be—just saying. [Deadline]

... Lifetime is bringing back Betty White's Off Their Rockers, the hidden-camera reality series starring elderly ladies and gents playing pranks on young whippersnappers. The series had was canceled by NBC earlier this year. [THR]

... The CW has renewed America's Next Top Model for Cycle 21. The currently airing cycle will crown America's 20th "top model" on Friday, November 15 at 9pm. The winner's reign will be finite, of course, but since no premiere date for Cycle 21 has been announced, enjoy your time in the spotlight, nameless, faceless person I don't know! [The CW via press release]

... Roseanne can rent a car now: The series turned the big 2-5 today. I never really watched it, but I couldn't let such milestone go by without at least mentioning it. I also enjoy making people feel really old. Did it work? [Vulture]

... Kelly Clarkson and Michael Buble will headline a pair of upcoming holiday specials on NBC. On Wednesday December 11 at 10pm, Clarkson will learn the true meaning of Christmas in a program based loosely on Charles Dickens’ classic novel A Christmas Carol. Meanwhile, Michael Buble's annual holiday singalong will air Wednesday, December 18 at 10pm; even though it's said to be "in an intimate setting," I'm 89 percent sure they don't mean his bathtub. [NBC via press release]

... ABC is developing a Philip Marlowe project from Castle creator Andrew Marlowe and Michael De Luca. Inspired by Raymond Chandler’s famous detective, the project is a stylish update set in contemporary Los Angeles. [Deadline]

... Discovery's been hard at work on a new penguin special called Penguin: Waddle all the Way. Sadly, it's not a sequel to Jingle All the Way, as I'd originally thought. It's a special from award-winning filmmaker John Downer, who used animatronic penguins to infiltrate "the elusive world of penguins." The special, which promises to get at the dirty, seedy underbelly of penguin society, airs November 23 at 9pm on Discovery. [Discovery via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Weeds alum Hunter Parrish has landed a guest spot on The Good Wife. He'll play Jeffrey Grant in the season's seventh episode, which airs November 10. Grant is a college student who wants to experience everything in life. During a major case of the sads, he's accused of murdering a female classmate he swears he's never met. [THR]

... Paul Adelstein has joined Marti Noxin's scripted Bravo series Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce. The pilot, based on the book series by Vicki Iovine, revolves around Lisa Edelstein's character Abby, who authors a best-selling self-help book series. As it turns out, Abby's not so great herself; she's hiding the fact that she’s separated from her husband (Adelstein) from everyone close to her. [Deadline]

... Amandla Stenberg, who played the brave and completely awesome Rue in The Hunger Games, has been cast as the teenage daughter of Orlando Jones' Captain Irving on Sleepy Hollow. She'll play Mae, and will first appear during the November 25 episode. The role is recurring. [THR]

... Lydia Rodarte-Quayle's back from her little ricin nap. The actress who played the poisoned meth-mover on Breaking Bad, Laura Fraser, has landed a regular role on ABC's upcoming 13-episode series The Black Box. The show is centered on a neuroscientist played by Kelly Reilly, who's haunted by her struggles with mental illness. Fraser will play Regan Black, the wife of Elizabeth’s brother, Joshua (David Chisum). [TV Line]

LET'S QUICKLY REVIEW TODAY'S FLURRY OF RENEWAL/CANCELLATION/SCHEDULlNG NEWS

... NBC has pulled the plug on Ironside and Welcome to the Familybut where's there is sadness, there is also joy, because the network has also announced premiere dates for Community and new drama Chicago P.D.

... Fox has ordered a full season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine AND given the show the coveted post-Super Bowl timeslot. 

... CBS really loves its new comedy lineup; the network has announced full-season pickups for The Crazy OnesThe Millers, and Mom.

... TNT has renewed Franklin & Bash for Season 4.

NEWS I CAN'T BELIEVE TIM FORGOT YESTERDAY TWO CAN PLAY AT THIS GAME, BUB

... Rider Strong and Danielle Fishel are getting married this weekend. Not to each other, obviously—what would Ben Savage think? But apparently the actors aren't too close these days, because they picked the same day to get married. And while I'm sad that I didn't get invited to either event, I'm super glad I don't have to choose which one to attend (Rider's, no question). [Too Fab]

• Comments (39)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • JackSaat Oct 19, 2013

PLEASE for the love of everything STOP making holiday specials/movies base on Charles A Christmas Carol. We getting really tired of hearing the story over and over and over and OVER!!

• torque_smacky Oct 20, 2013

It's public domain; you can't stop it any more than you can stop the wind.

The only other solution is if people stop buying them, but the problem the book is based on hasn't gone away -- there are still plenty of heartless Scrooges lording over Cratchits, and people want the sense of justice the story provides.

• JackSaat Oct 19, 2013

Turns out that all this time he really was a fairy tail character trap in this world! that explains a lot! :D

• JT_Kirk Oct 19, 2013

No, sorry, you cannot take Philip Marlowe and put him in the modern world, you cannot have him looking things up on the web, you cannot have his clients as savvy as he is. In other words, please don't tarnish the reputation of one of the most iconic fictional detectives of all time with crappy TV mistakes.

• JT_Kirk Oct 19, 2013

Ugh, I weep for the idea of Marlowe using a smartphone.

• Akyriel Oct 19, 2013

TV's new trend - Take old stuff and modernize it. Sherlock Holmes and Norman Bates. The British Sherlock works. The American Sherlock is fine for me thus far, but if I had to choose, it would be the Brit one.

The odd is having Norman Bates modernized, but they make him a teenager. it is like going steps forward and steps back at the same time.

It's may be a lost cause to not mess with the classics now. Maybe they'll have him shun technology, which might be a twist to see how he'd pursue a case, but don't hold your breath.

• JT_Kirk Oct 20, 2013

I find that when the networks and studios revamp stuff, they're doing it just to trade on name recognition, there's no passion for the material, they just have a license or have access to a brand and want to use that to fool viewers into watching. When it's a filmmaker doing it, it's trying to be clever and express a singular reimagined vision, but often it seems those projects aren't really getting anywhere special because ego gets in the way.

For me, the new British Holmes series is passable due to the production and acting, but the writing is almost as bad as the Basil Rathbone movies, it's corny and not as clever as it pretends to be. The American one is just standard tv procedural fare, it's written very shallowly and not at all remotely clever, and the production and acting feels very much stuck in tv doldrums.

Ultimately, some stories need to rest and be imagined only within their own timeframe. Sherlock Holmes cannot know as much about the physical world today as he did in Victorian England or he'd be a vastly different character. Philip Marlowe can't be a guy who actively shuns smartphones and the internet because nobody would hire him at that point, it'd take him weeks to look up something they themselves could have found in minutes, and yet he can't be so good at the other side that he makes a lot of money doing it.

• ionee24 Oct 19, 2013

I like Irving's daughter already. I can't wait to see Sleepy Hollow's Captain fathering the one tribute whose death no one got over with.

• linkthehero82 Oct 19, 2013

Marilyn Manson on Once Upon a Time, that's gonna be one "Dope Show".

• CaitlinRice Oct 19, 2013

Super excited by the Manson news. It'd be cooler if we got to see him though. He's so creepy looking normally

• WithoutPopcorn Oct 19, 2013

Would love to see Marilyn Manson as a misunderstood Hero on American Horror Story.

• PoisonedPizza Oct 20, 2013

Ha! That was a sketch on the Andy Dick show...
    "Oh, Manson!"

• marlonjones Oct 19, 2013

You know what...Sean Saves The World improved in my book!
    The third episode was Sean Hayes gold and I loved it! I do want more!

• TrevPlatt Oct 19, 2013

Sean Saves the World is literally the worst new show of the season. Welcome to the Family was (marginally) better, but the numbers were reversed. SStW is pulling in 3.68 million viewers and 1.17 in the demo (it's the lowest rated show remaining on NBC although it is pulling in slightly more viewers than Parks & Rec.) whilst WttF was only pulling in 2.63 million viewers and 0.93 in the demo. Anything less than 1.00 in the demo usually equals cancellation (unless it's on The CW, obviously). I actually thought that SStW would get cancelled but with Community now starting in January what else does NBC have?

BBC America should have picked Michael Marshall's brilliant Straw Men series for a TV adaptation. I'm half way through and The Intruders and I had to take a break. From the very beginning I've disliked every character and nothing much has really happened. I'll finish The Intruders off when I'm done reading Karin Slaughters' Unseen and maybe then I'll see why it was chosen.

Required Reading: Michael Marshall's brilliant Straw Men series.

The Philip Marlowe project sounds like ABC's attempt to copy Elementary. Good luck with that ABC!

Adelstein & Edelstein! It sounds like the baby unicorn weaved a little magic to make this happen prior to Sean Hayes getting his annoying over-exaggerated jazz hands around the poor beasts neck.

• marlajulia Oct 19, 2013

I'm surprised MM didn't ask for a permanent part in Once upon a time in Wonderland, as he's so fond of the Alice-story :-D

• See More Comments (17)