The Herculoids

Good
7.3

An interesting series.

By earthpeople, Nov 12, 2008

My dad says this was one of his favorite shows when he was a kid (although I couldn't get him to watch an episode now if I chained him to a chair and taped his eyes open). I catch episodes when I can on Boomerang, and I still haven't seen them all, but the eps I have watched were enough to hook me. The animation isn't quite on par with that in "Jonny Quest." There's no character development. We don't get any history on the characters (at least not in the episodes I've seen.) We do get three humanoids and five super-powered alien creatures who fight all manner of weird beasts, robots and maniacs that invade their unnamed homeland. It doesn't matter that we don't know what planet the Herculoids inhabit, or why they live in prehistoric conditions while many of their opponents use highly advanced technology. This series' only objective is to provide thirty minutes of fun, alien butt-kicking action, and it does this very well.moreless

A classic cartoon from the "hero" period of Hanna Barbera Studios, The Herculoids mixed space-age technology with stone-age surroundings.

By ercolby, Feb 09, 2006

The Herculoids is one of the classic hero cartoons that Hanna-Barbera produced the mid-late 60s. It was a unique mixture of futuristic and prehistoric. The characters looked like something out of "100,000 B.C.," but they had space ships and powers and weapons that you'd find only in the sci fi world.

The cartoon was perfectly geared to little boys and girls who dreamed of adventure, taking them to a different world with interesting creatures, powerful friends, and evil villains. The positive message that can be drawn from the show pertained to the value of teamwork -- The Herculoids had to work together as a team -- helping each other out of jams, protecting each other, combining their powers, etc. -- to defeat the villains. However, this was not a "message" cartoon per se. It was intended primarily for entertainment.

The quality of the animation was poor by today's standards, but far better than what followed in the 70s and 80s, when the animators' budgets began to be slashed.moreless

Futuristic, animated, adventure series, set on another planet, featuring imaginatively designed monsters with special powers who protect a scantily clad human family of three who take turns needing to be saved. The action and graphics were very good.

By 225818, Jul 25, 2005

Among the humans, Zandor is the muscular, red-haired father; Tara is the beautiful, blond mother; and Dorno is the athletic, blond son.

Among the monsters, Igoo is a huge apelike rock creature with enormous strength; Zok is a giant flying dragon who shoots lasers from its eyes and tail; Tundro is a big, multi-legged ceratops who shoots energy rocks from its horn; and Gloop and Gleep are, respectively, large and small ghostlike shape-shifters.

The family lives in a treehouse, with their monsters bunking outside. Together, they face a different peril every week.

The monsters clearly stole the show. They were imaginatively drawn, fiercely loyal, and supernaturally powerful.

As for the humans, aside from explaining the plot and interpreting the monsters' grunts and roars, their primary job was to look attractive and sympathetic while they were being menaced by the villain of the week.

With each episode being only ten minutes in length, the plot was understandably formulaic, the dialogue was utilitarian, and the character development was non-existent.

Unfortunately, the 1981 episodes had weaker graphics, and its attempts at character development tended to distract from the action.moreless