Great

One of my favorite stories of all time!

By TwilightKid, Aug 30, 2013

I first listened to the BBC radio broadcast and loved it. Later I read all the books in the series and became a fan for life.

This series follows the books and radio broadcast almost word for word but as someone pointed out earlier, like most books, your own imagination makes it better, provided you have one. I must say though, being a long time fan, a friend bought me this series on two VHS cassettes which included a paper back copy of the 1st book and have to say, I did enjoy it.

The movie that was made in 2005 was a huge disappointment so if you want to watch it, instead of reading or listening to it. I definitely recommend this series.moreless

The TV adaptation of Douglas Adams' classic radio series, just isn't that great.

By fgyjmyrjmetdgjh, Mar 27, 2011

The brilliant thing about the radio series and the books, were that they left more to your imagination, the TV series lost all that creativeness. And to think the Goodies was cancelled for this?

Ford Prefect was totally miscast. He's suppossed to be a crazy lunatic with very strange views on things, here he is a short arse who can't speak loudly.

Good parts taken out, crap parts added in. I like the hitchhiker's guide, but I don't like this.

Absurdly funny series that I still thank my lucky stars for stumbling into all these years later.

By sistersun, May 13, 2010

I truly adore good comedy. And The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy is great comedy!

I clearly recall the evening I happened upon this show: I was ironing an outfit for an evening out and absent-mindedly flipping stations. I ended on a PBS station, and left it on as I went about my chores. Then I overheard the name "Slartibartfast", giggled, and thought, "you must be high!" Well, I was, but this got my attention. I watched the screen intently, forgetting about the ironing, the date, everything, until the show was over. I couldn't believe what I'd just seen—and I knew it wasn't an American show—and despaired of ever seeing anything like it again!

I did a reality check later with friends ('cause I was thinking I'd hallucinated the whole thing!) who told me about the radio show, the Douglas Adams books, and the television show (turns out that I'd stumbled into the 3rd show: There was more to see! There was stuff to read! I *love* reading! There is a God!). Happy camper I, I travelled with Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect, and went on to learn the answer to life, the universe, and everything; discovered the misery that is Marvin the Android; enjoyed the Restaurant at the End of the Universe; and was awed by the cunning of mice and dolphins. It was a lovely, zany trip, and I invite anyone looking to enjoy something quite fun to take it as well. You will not regret it.moreless

Based on the books by Douglas Adams

By Amyok, Mar 12, 2007

This show was good. It could have been great. Douglas Adams did a much better job on the books than how they made the series. It is enjoyable, however since I read all the books, I expected more. They don't explain everything in the series. Don't get me started on the movie! It was terrible. They don't even explain the towel. Hello! It is the main way to hitchhike! It was poorly done. They could have done a much better job in the theatre. Anyways, I'm off track. The series was good, but if you read the books don't expect a whole lot. It you haven't read the books, you will enjoy it.moreless

Douglas Adams at his best. This British Cult classic is a Science Fiction masterpiece.

By DooDles3000, Jul 07, 2006

From the pages of Douglas Adams' masterwork 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' trilogy, comes the SciFi Cult television series (under the same title).

Arthur Dent is a 6' tall ape decendant whose best friend is Ford Prefect (a Beatlegeusean editor for the Guide). When a fleet of Vogon ships destroy the Earth in order to make way for a hyperspacial bypass, Ford saves Arthur just in time by catching a ride on one of the ships. Together they set out on an adventure involving such characters as: Zaphod Beeblebrox (the President of the Universe who is currently on the lam), his smart and pretty assistant Trillian, and Marvin the Paranoid Android, who is always depressed in one way or another.

Original, witty, and always funny, 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' series is truly Douglas Adams at his best.moreless

Killer show even if the special effects were off.

By xGowronx, Jan 26, 2006

Okay then, I'll admit the special effects aren't up to par when you compare it to today's standards, the actors were for the most part not well known and many still are not, but it has a killer storyline. It is hilarious, and still gets to me after all these years. That's what matters most, that the show is entertaining.

Last but not least, I feel that it is far superior than the motion picture release from 2005. It's not as shiny and new, but it has an edge to it the film lacks. So, even if you didn't like the film, check it out!moreless

A pretty good telling of a fantastic story.

By Mike4815162342, Jan 19, 2006

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is one of my favourite books and the series to me was no disapointment.

It is quite an accurate telling of the story which manages to include many of the hilarious jokes from the book and makes good use of the special effects technology available at the time.

All of the characters are here from mild mannered Arthur Dent to Marvin the Paranoid Android and each part is played very well.

However I didnt find the end of the series to be totally satisfactory as the director has for some odd reason blended the first book of the Hitchhiker's series with the second, the result - a good, yet certainly unfinished story!

This, along with the fact that Zaphod's second head looks ridiculous, are my only complaints about this entertaining show which is a must-see for hitchhikers fans and a should see for everyone else.moreless

This show is really bad...

By spellcrafter67, Dec 13, 2005

OMG I have seen both versions of the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy and they are both stupid as all... Who ever crated this show should be shot... I am sorry to those who like this show, but this is really bad. So bad it should be burned, buried and buried again.

A short yet very amusing sci fi comedy series.

By robocop001, Oct 19, 2005

Though the length of this show was small, the story, humor, and characters were not. From being originated as nothing more than thought by Douglas Adams(who was drunk in a feild at the time)to a radio show, a book, this series, and later an awe-inspiring motion picture, the story of hitchikers goes quite a long ways.

It is the story of a man named Arthor, who's planet(Earth) is destroyed by an alien flagship in order to make way for an intergalactic expressway. Being saved by his friend Ford Prefect, who turns out to be an alien from another planet, he takes Arther on an journey acros the Galaxy with the help of one electronic book; The Hitchiker's Guid to the Galaxy. Joined up with a woman Arthur meet at a party on Earth, a wacky intergalactic president, and a very depressed robot, they set out on one crazy adventure.

Yes, this show's effects are extremely dated and the costume designs may not be anything special, but everything from story to humor made up for it, not to mention that the series was made as a short TV series in Britain on the BBC channel in 1981. All in all, it should be enough to keep you enterteined to where you'd just eventually set effects aside and try to understand what's going on(as the story is tossed and turned from time to time).

Though I have never read the book or listened to the radio show, this series and the movie is what really got me interested into the whole thing. I'm sure that the book can explain more than the series represented, since it did feel like some things were left out or probably forgotten.

Either way, this is a very interesting and quite hilarious show to watch, and don't let the shortage of episodes fool you into thinking it's horrible, it may leave you hanging on some parts, but it seems to have ended itself with a fair conclusion to what has happened.

moreless