The Legend of Zelda

Show Reviews (35)

Good
7.8

This show along with the Zelda CD-I games are a flat out insult to one of the best game series ever and I hate it

By That_TV_Dude, Sep 06, 2012

Words alone can't describe the amount of hatred I have for this pitiful show and how much it mocks Zelda. The Legend of Zelda cartoon would come on after The Super Mario Bros Super Show! and it followed the story of the games rather well. The story is about Link and Princess Zelda who fight the evil wizard Ganon and protect Hyrule Kingdom. While the show sounded promising for Zelda fans like me, it's actually executed in such an insulting way that will leave people's blood boiling. The stories are really stupid and are nothing like the game. Such as building a water park for Hyrule. What happened to going around and defeating Ganon and saving the kingdom? Link and Zelda are also terrible. Link is an idiotic moron who is always looking to get a kiss from Zelda adn always says every 2 minutes, Excuuuuuuse me, Princess! This is the savior of Hyrule?! What happened to Link? Zelda is no better, she is a stuck up and snobbish jerk who is always pushing everyone away and is very cold. Zelda and Link always get into fights with each other in every episode as well. Is this The Legend of Zelda or The Odd Couple? The artwork is just horrible, characters barely look nothing like their original counterparts, the colors are washed out, and some body parts are drawn wrong, like the king has humongous eyes. The animation is even aorse, lip syncs are off, and at one point there was supposed to be a pair of claws, but they are blurry. Also there is the Triforce. Ganon has the Triforce of Power and Zelda has the Triforce of Wisdom. Whoever gets both can rule Hyrule, but there is one question to ask. Where is the third piece of the Triforce? There are three pieces of the Triforce and we only see 2. So where's the other one at? Overall, this is an insult to one of the greatest game franchises ever. The artwork and animation is abysmal, the stories are ridiculous, and the characters don't act like the ones that got me into Zelda. Even if you are a Zelda fan, no matter how big of a fan you are, or not a fan, this is a show you are better of not seeing at all.moreless

Made me puke acid.

By DreadAngelus, Jun 19, 2012

What is this show? I'm expecting a mythical-fable and legendary cartoon of Zelda? What do I get?

Plot: They have done too many damages, unnecessary additions.

Characters: They changed their personality. Unlike in the games or the older cartoons. The voice acting is noisy and will make you fall back down while climbing a cliff.

Action value: So lame, that it must be an action thought of a 3 year old.

Art: Unnecessary changes, animation is okay.

Overall: 0.7. Disgraceful to the Zelda franchise. No fable or mythical things in here. What did I got again? Oh! A pile of crap! No wonder I puked acid!moreless

I love the Zelda games, I really do, so when I heard a cartoon existed, I was seriously excited. It was 2 of my favorite things in one. It should have been like turning lead to gold, more like turning gold into diarrhea... I hate this show.

By DuelMark, Jun 06, 2012

You'd think a cartoon based on a Nintendo game with storytelling, lore and medieval action would be better than anything, even Pokemon... it wasn't. This is my wasted hopes and dreams you're watching, I don't even NEED to say what's wrong with it, lame action scenes, over the top poor voice acting, bland and stock original characters and the weakest plots to anything I've ever seen. Such a great idea turned to crap...

Nintendo, if you're reading this, please reconsider this idea, redo it and make it the way it should have been done, not a piece of ridiculous, insulting crap.moreless

Kinda funny in a hilariously camp way....

By Mewmew1, Apr 21, 2011

When I first heard of this I was a bit suspicious, but after watching an episode or two, I found it not as terrible as I thought. It's funny in a stupid 'this-would never-actually-happen-in-any-of-the-games' way. I mean, it's nothing like the games, for one thing, the Triforce of courage doesn't seem to exist, and the Triforce pieces can speak. Yes, that's right, SPEAK. And Link is some kind of whining weirdo, and also seems to be keen to 'have fun' with Zelda. This concept of 'wanting to have fun' continues through the series short life. His sword also seems able to shoot beams all the time, and Zelda fights alongside Link, most of the time.

One of the weirdest, and best shows ever.moreless

The cartoon that was based on the first game of the Zelda series.

By sfan64, Apr 21, 2011

Here is my review for this cartoon based on "The Legend Of Zelda" on the NES. It is about Link and Princess Zelda going on all kinds of adventures and protecting the Triforce of Wisdom from the evil wizard Ganon and his evil army of creatures that work for him. When this cartoon aired on TV, it was originally part of "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show" and it was shown once every week as well. One thing I liked most about this show is that some of the sounds that were used in it were from the game it was based on (such as the sound of Link firing beams from his sword and the sound of a creature being destroyed). Fans of the newer Zelda games will probably be disappointed when they watch this cartoon, but that's only because it was based on the first Zelda game ONLY and not the sequels (That means no Triforce of Courage or Master Sword, by the way). I, however, enjoyed this cartoon because I grew up to it just like I did the show that aired it. A show that's suitable for retro-gamers is what this mainly is, and that's a really good thing to me.moreless

Possibly the cheesiest cartoon of the late 80s, which is really saying something

By srjunkacct, Apr 21, 2011

OK, let\'s remember one thing: The first installment of The Legend of Zelda is one of the seminal games in the history of console gaming, and it definitely deserved its own show.

That being said, it probably deserved a stronger show than this. All things being considered, it\'s fairly faithful to the game, but it suffers greatly from cheesy plots, cheesy gimmicks and cheesy dialogue, all of which plagued most cartoons of the late 80s. I blame the original TMNT cartoon for this. Back to the review.

The setting is the magical kingdom of Hyrule, where King Harkinian rules and Princess Zelda is the keeper of the Triforce of Wisdom, a gizmo that gives Zelda various magical abilities and spouts out clues in annoying couplet form. Link, a young wandering adventurer from noplace in particular, has taken up residence in the castle and is charged with defending the Triforce from the evil wizard Ganon and his minions. Ganon currently possesses the Triforce of Power, and for the purposes of this show, whoever possesses the two Triforces will be able to rule Hyrule forever. (Eventually in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, it was revealed that there exists a third Triforce. After this cartoon ran its course, Link and Zelda merged with Captain N: The Game Master, and some of the Captain N episodes are based on Zelda II.) Given this setup, the cartoon doesn\'t fit within the chronology of the Zelda video games, but is still loosely based on the first one. The episodes tend to be fairly consistent in terms of continuity, which is a plus.

The series is actually fairly faithful to the game in terms of gameplay. Link wields a sword, while Zelda usually fights with bows and boomerangs. Lots of monsters from the game appear -- Octoroks, Tektites, Stalfos, Moblins, Gleeoks, Vires, and even some monsters from Zelda II. Monsters zap out of existence when hit and eventually end up on Ganon\'s \"Evil Jar\" to regenerate, which would explain why monsters eventually reappear in the video game after you wipe out a whole screen. One could pick a few nits here and there -- boomerangs aren\'t supposed to be able to kill most monsters; lots of monsters should be able to take more than one hit. But when the writers do take creative license with the gameplay, it is typically effective.

Most of the plots in this cartoon are fairly simplistic, which is unsurprising given that (1) the cartoon proper was only 14 minutes long and (2) this was the 80s. Typically Ganon hatches some plan to try to capture Zelda and/or the Triforce, and Zelda and Link try to stop him. The infamous magic reset button is a common feature of all the episodes as well, with some event (sometimes of the deus-ex-machina species) restoring everything back to normal at the end. Each show functions as a one-off episode, with no progression throughout the series. This is a little unfortunate; since both Zelda I and Zelda II had been released at the time the show aired, they could have had Link and Zelda defeating Ganon and reclaiming the Triforce of Power at the end of the season. This never explicitly happened, although it is implied to have happened by the start of the second season (on Captain N). There are a few cringe-worthy plots as well, like the one where Ganon turns Link into a frog, the one where a rival prince from another land sweeps Zelda off her feet, and others.

Speaking of sweeping Zelda off her feet, we come to the part of the show that caused the most irritation among fans and detractors of the show: the relationship and dialogue between Zelda and Link. In the first episode, we see quite clearly that Link is attracted to Zelda, and she\'s pretty much the only thing that keeps him around in Hyrule. Unfortunately, Link is cocky, annoying and possesses the charm of a constipated orangutan. Link spends a lot of his time trying to score a kiss with Zelda, but various comic occurrences conspire to prevent this from ever happening even when Zelda does agree to indulge him.

On the other hand, Zelda is imperious, bossy, often takes Link for granted and usually has some really caustic smackdown (verbal or otherwise) for Link whenever he tries to charm her. Typically Link can only react with his annoying trademark line \"well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, Princess\". Seriously, if you do a count, the score is something like Zelda 273, Link 1. (The 1 is in the episode \"The Missing Link\", where it is revealed that Zelda does love Link. Sort of. A little. As a friend. Deep down in her heart, and we\'re talking REALLY deep down.) Now, this wouldn\'t be so bad, except that Link ends up trying to steal a kiss from Zelda about 5 times per episode, which gets old real quick. I guess watching this dysfunctional couple is still funny, in the sense that watching the dog hump the mailman\'s leg is funny. Maybe Link and Zelda do deserve each other. (In the Captain N continuation, Link and Zelda have apparently matured a little bit and no longer squabble with each other in such a childish manner.)

Being able to see Link and Zelda in action (stop that -- I know what you\'re thinking) in the magical land of Hyrule is intriguing, but it\'s too bad that the campy 80s cartoon style did so much to hamper what could have been a genuinely exciting cartoon series.moreless

By TELED, Apr 21, 2011

I felt good. Link is meeting Zelda. Link stays with Zelda and the blue triangle. Ganon's evil monsters have taken Zelda. Link saved Zelda from Ganon and his evil monsters. Ganon stays with the red triangle. Link is defeating the evil monsters. Do Ganon capture Link? Link was defeating Ganon.

The Tri-force of Courage

By ninjajesus6699, Apr 21, 2011

How come they never mention the tri-force of courage?

I mean, they always go around saying tri-force, and only refering to two of them, and tri means three. So i mean really, how can you not realize there is a third one?

They should bring this show back though, because it is kickin.

This show makes the Zelda games look like nothing but like an alternate version of Batman starring Adam West.

By jj934, Apr 21, 2011

OK let me get this out of the way: I LOVE the games and I can not wait until Twilight Princess, but this show is horrible. This and the Mario show prove that most show adaptions should never be made. The only good video-game-to-TV-show stuff that is out there are the Sonic TV shows. This show is NOT related to the games except the characters. I mean name ONE time Link and Zelda battle a gleeok outside of a dungeon, Zelda a one man (or in this case one woman) army, Ganon living in a castle while using a crystal ball as a camera, and all of that other stuff in this show. This show is nothing but a bunch of crud designed to probably make people give up on the games. I am gald there are no current Zelda shows. Any fan of Zelda I know would never watch this show.moreless

Load More Reviews