The Love Boat

Show Reviews (13)

Great

I miss the love boat

By cyndyp, Nov 10, 2013

This used to be one of my favorite shows growing up as a kid. I loved watching this along with Fantasy Island. I just wish that all of the episodes were available. One of my favorite episodes was season 0, episode 13. One of the parts was Gopher gets an A.

I miss the good ol' days!

By janetdeffenba, Jul 03, 2013

The Love Boat people may say was cheesy, but it was great, was happy, and just a good era of TV (when TV was really good). Kids in general were happier and I think for one, they had good shows like this. This made me happy as a kid and then I got to watch Fantasy Island. Loved the late 70s! Way too much violence on TV today. I want to see something happy. It's a bittersweet watching these old shows, takes you back to a better time, but then we realize those days are over. :(moreless

A series of non-serial stories, often shown three at a time, and usually depicting love stories from various angles. The setting is always a cruise ship.

By gwactuary, Jan 15, 2013

I thought the show was great. Coupled with Fantasy Island of similar genre, it used to provide two hours of "winding down" time every Saturday evening.

The lead parts were usually well cast and well played, though they were rarely lead parts in any particular story line: they tended to be segue roles as the episode drifted from story to story over the hour.

One common complaint I hear is that the show relied on has-been actors past their prime as guest stars. As I watched the show, I found this neither accurate nor relevant. So what if they did!! Let the hot actors of the day field the hard roles. Let those approaching retirement allow me to end the week, entertained with levity.moreless

This series was the DWTS of its day.

By sandbur, Apr 18, 2010

Like DWTS, it was a marginal premise that might have had some merit had they used pros!

Instead, the story lines were impossibly weak and utterly predictable, and the guest star list for the most part was a "Who's That?" instead of a "Who's Who". Hence the DWTS connection.

I give it a 5.5 because:

1) on the rare occasion there was a guest star I wanted to see, I did tune in and at that age, anything they did, no matter how stupid, was watchable. 2) at that age, I liked Lauren Tewes hairdo! What can I say? I was deep as a child!

Give me pros, and I'll watch them "dance" in any era. Career resurrection should be on the merits, and this is not a worthy format; then or now.moreless

It's Love

By hdgsmr, Sep 26, 2008

I loved watching the love boat. It had a very catchy theme song and how about Isac, he was so hot for a guy in the 80's. Wish I could watch some of the episodes today. I love the 80's.

The love boat, soon will be making another run, the love boat promises something for everyone, you set a course for adventure your mind on a new romance, and love wont hurt anymore.........OK that's all I remember. lol if someone knows a TV station that still plays episodes of this show, let it be known, i would sit down and watch the marathon.moreless

We like it very much. Please bring it back!! It was my favorite show as a young child. I even yelled at my kids when I missed it... Because it did come on tvland for a little while.. Thank You Brezze family

By glendabreeze, Apr 14, 2007

Dear Review broad, I am 40 yrs old and I think Love boat need's to come back on the air and I miss it so bad it made me mad... I watched it when I was a little kid with my faimly and friends I really think you need to put it back on the air. My kids wathced that show and I would tell them that this is what I watched when I was a little kid I sure do miss it been on!!!! So how about yall put it back on the air I have been wanting to watch it so bad.... I am expeting for it to be back on right now please it makes me mad...... Thank you Breeze family

I won't it back now and if we don't get it back untell we do i am going to keep on writng to u!!moreless

Ok I sometimes watched this. But have no desire at all ever to see it again.

By SoylentYellow, Dec 27, 2006

Why did I watch this? I have no idea. If it were on today I definitely would NOT. Maybe it was because I wanted to bend Jill Whelan over the piano, if you know what I mean. This show was mostly an employment agency for has-been actors.

I thought a great idea for the series finale would have been: ...... A) Love Boat is sucked thru a time vortex (i.e FINAL COUNTDOWN) into World War II and is sunk by a German U-Boat - the crew ends up at imprisoned at Stalag-13 - Colonel Klink tortures them for information about the future in an attempt to gain favor with Hitler. As the series concludes Klink says to a Los Alamos scientist who was on the ship "Now tell me more about the A-Bomb and the H-Bomb!" ....... B) While on an Alaskan Cruise, the Love Boat strikes an iceberg for a re-enactment of TITANIC.

..........I'd personally go with option A.moreless

Will I ever NOT know how the theme song melody went? I doubt it.

By U4ric, Jul 23, 2006

What can I say that hasn’t been said before? Not much. As the show itself was basically the same story line but with little twists here and there, my review will most likely not shed any new light on the show.

That said, I was pretty much faithful viewer of this and Fantasy Island. Yes, I was lured into the same story over and over week after week and I’m not afraid to admit it. This was mostly because it was an escape. Real life wasn’t as glamorous or as fun as it seemed on these shows and how could I resist a catchy theme song? I’m even humming it right now in my head – sad, but true.moreless

Different guest stars show up every week to take a cruise on "The Love Boat".

By vicmackey31, Apr 09, 2006

Seamed like a good idea at the time. But now I sit and wonder why did I watch this. I guess it must have been because nothing else was on. I guess it it kind of like a guilty pleasure kind of show. The acting was ok, but the storylines were pretty corny.

Gavin MacLeod was excellent as Captain Merrill Stubing. Ted Lange was funny as Isaac Washington as well as Fred Grandy (Burl "Gopher" Smith)who later ran and won a seat in congress in the state of Iowa. Bernie Kopell (Get Smart) was very good as Dr. Adam Bricker.moreless

Classic fluff

By Jagger1966, Sep 29, 2005

The Love Boat is considered to be little more than fluff now but when it was on we were all hooked. It was a great way to see actors who didn't work much anymore and it was just plain fun. Yes, it probably ran a couple of seasons too long (the singing mermaids were a bit much) but this is a show all of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's remember fondly.

Load More Reviews