The Crimson Hat

Episode Reviews (16)

Great

Next Season

By MarieS, Feb 16, 2013

Well... I liked the epiosde for sure. It had everything, Suspense, Romantic and Red John ! But truly spoken I would have wished for that Jane would change the sides. xD I mean it would just be interesting to see the battle between Team-Theresa and Team-Jane [only one member xD]. I wonder who would win. So you see I'm really anxious about a kinda Catch-Me-If-You-Can-Season. ~sigh~ but my wish wasn't granted.

Anyway, I will continue watching The Mentalist for sure.

One of my fav finale

By GraceTa, Oct 01, 2012

This finale leaves you with feelings beyond satisfaction

Jane has an advantage over Red John

By 7dixob, Aug 14, 2012

A fantastic episode starting 6 months after the previous episode when Jane was fired.In this episode we find out that Jane hasn't hit rock bottom but its a trap for Red John and for once Red John falls for it with this been a big chance for Jane to finally catch Red John.Thanks to Red Johns friend in the FBI he found out that Jane hadn't really killed Lisbon or Rigsby which is what Red John wanted him to do and this resulted in the death of Wainwright and Jane nearly having two of his fingers cut off but they get the advantage over Red John by arresting Lorelei who no doubt Jane will be talking to in season 5 which is a season i can't wait for.I also think that agent Darcy is working for Red John and that she told him about the trap.I know Red John apparently wants her dead but does he really why would he tell Jane who he was going to kill.

moreless

Did Jane fake a breakdown?Or did he fake that he was faking?

By LindaPiper-24714578964818517438475692804785, Jun 16, 2012

On a cold,wet Summer's day,it wasn't only the weather causing chills!I'm beginning to think that Patrick Jane is a closet psychopath.Certainly if this episode is any thing to go by.That last menacing comment to Lorelei,so quiet with his hands around her neck,telling her that she would break.It was a not so thinly veiled threat.The acting from all was superb and so was the script and direction.On edge the whole way through.The CBI members cast putting over subtly that perhaps Jane is not to be completely trusted anymore.A person that they must watch and be wary of now.The way that Simon Baker can switch from "cheeky chappy"; to an immensely damaged one in the blink of an eye has always impressed me.Since watching this episode today I am even more impressed.What is really hidden behind that broad grin and twinkling eyes? The way things are heading do we really want to know?Or is it too horrific?Awaiting developments in the next series with bated breath.Oh, and just a thought.I know it's been mooted before but IS Patrick Jane actually Red John? A con man conning himself?moreless

That is it

By Artbeacon, Jun 01, 2012

While on par with other episodes the character develop was good, the story was lacking. As another reviewer writes how long do you milk a dead cow. I would love to see them catch Red John only to learn he is under someone or a group far worse. Thus giving story development and growth. Its time for a new shadow to chase. This episode leads me to believe Red John is the true Mentalist, and Jane should give up. I mean after 6months of planning and it still falls through.moreless

Even better without a "cliffhanger" ending!

By mnementh01, May 23, 2012

A superb end to a great series.

Given the stunning ending of the last series, I wondered how the writers could possibly get near, never mind top that finish.

However, they managed, by the simple method of NOT having a cliffhanger at all, instead giving us a great storyline with a very satisfying conclusion.

I was absolutely certain, after the last episode, that Jane was pulling a fast one in an effort to bring Red John out and was proved correct.

Mind you, I was surprised that Jane spent the night with Lorelei (appropriate name, I thought) but the little smile after she left told the tale. He has steadfastly refused to get sexually involved up to now.

The required "gift" was a little unexpected since Jane had been away from the CBI for 6 months but obviously, RJ knows how strong Jane's feelings for Lisbon are.

By the way, anyone else notice the striking similarity in looks with Lorelei & Lisbon?

An obvious ploy to ensnare Jane, methinks??

This might also account for the "Love you" comment from Jane to Lisbon, as the situation stress got to him.

I, for one have no feeling that the show has "jumped the shark" as one earlier reviewer stated and I have rarely seen so many disagrees against a review.

As for one recent reviewers comment about milking a cow after it's dead, I imagine you should be able to milk it at least once, before all the gooey bits dry up!

This show has gone from strength to strength over its' four seasons and I can't wait for series 5.moreless

Oh common!

By Bujemi, May 21, 2012

I have been watching this show since the beginning, and i have really enjoyed it, for a while there it started to feel a little bit like Frodo and how the ring made him feel: outstretched. But i forgave that because of the wonderful ending last season. Finally a great ending to that neverending feud with red John. But no! The writers apparently dont belive this show can survive without the shadow of a smiley face, as long as its there Jane still has a purpose for existing. So what they did infact was to create a scapegoat, someone who they could kill off just for the sake of it, and yet again we would feel, oh how smart that red John is! I mean this show should infact be called Red John, not the mentalist, Or maybe i have misunderstood the meaning of mentalist? Maybe it means someone that is utterly fooled in the end of every season? So common! how long can a cow be milked after its dead? STEP BACK FROM THE COW!!moreless

The Mentalist finales NEVER disappoint.

By herr_sebbe, May 21, 2012

Ever since the very first season have the finales been the backbone of The Mentalist and they have yet to disappoint. Next season I may have to adjust my personal rating system, because I've given three 10 star reviews this season and at least two of them pale in comparision with this.

This one has it all. Romance, humor, suspense... Oh, the suspense. Obviously I was enjoying this episode with some snacks and as dramatic as it may sound I literally dropped whatever little pile was stocking up in my hand at least three times. Those who have felt bored during earlier episodes this season will not be repeating themselves with this one.

One of the strongest scenes is right at the beginning when Jane and Lorelei first meet. At first it serves as a follow-up to show us what has become of Jane during the six months that have passed and an introduction to a charming cocktail waitress. On second viewing it will be seen in a whole different light.

Next we see Lisbon and the gang. What at this time seems like another irrelevant case stalling for time in this myth arc episode still managed to keep my interest, at first by showcasing the characters feelings about Jane's disappearance, then by introducing a very energetic witness and then again by being one of the first cases solved without Jane's help. And to top it all off, it turns out the serve a very necessary part of the main plot.

There is beauty in more than two ways when the adorable Emmanuelle Criqui shares her second scene with our main character. I'm still not sure whether the scene is meant to establish character or establish her cover, but when they lie in the motel watching animal channel and she keeps looking away to eventually find eye contact with Jane there is definitely some unique direction. Lisbon's walking scene following the same set-up is another plus. Chris Long has done a great job on this episode, same as Bruno Heller and all the actors.

Then we found out about Lorelei's true motivations, interestingly enough played right in the open. This might just be one of the most interesting Red John accomplices yet. The way she talks about Red John as though just another casual topic is spooky, yet intriguing. Lorelei doesn't feel quite as messed up as former in her line, and that just serves to make her seem more messed up than any of them. There's the way she nods when Red John is talking in the end, the way she immideately goes for Jane's most important finger when to cut one off and the way she keeps calling him "lover" in the end. Like there's nothing to it. If they had to choose one accomplice to stick around and it couldn't be Timothy Carter, I'm glad they chose this one.

There is some closure to this episode, with this particular arc of the Red John saga actually being over. It doesn't like last year end on a cliffhanger so much as the CBI finally getting the advantage. Next year's premiere will probably be about Red John attempting to kill Lorelei and the fact that she's signed on for five more episodes tells us he will not succeed. Fans wanted solid information on Red John. She will probably give it to us. While we didn't get more than hearing his voice again (which is great in itself) in this episode, the season ends on the promise that there will be more next time.

I'm going to wrap this review up by commending all of Season 4. This has been a great season from beginning to end and my second favorite after Season 1. The way it ended on a nine episode high leaves me with high hopes for what is to come in the fall. See you all then! ;)moreless

Now that's what I call a good finale.

By mrsquinto, May 19, 2012

This season's finale might not have been as suprising as last years, the last couple of scenes in the Mall and thinking "How is Jane gonna get out of this one?" were brilliant. But we all probably suspected there was no one in the back seat of that ridiculous limo (by no one I mean NOT Red John) AND I kinda knew that Wainwright is either on Red John's side or just not on Patrick's. Nevertheless, even if it was predictable, the finale was very and entertaining, from the sudden revelation that Lorelai was sent by RJ to the chase at the end. Right now I am fully alert and suspecting everyone, trusting no one. Rigsby and Cho may as well be Red John's friends, so can be most of the CBI precinct.

Even tho I know that as soon as RJ identity is revealed the show will go downhill I am still hoping that we will at least see his face at some point.

How sad was Lisbon when she asked Patrick to repeat that heartbreaking "love you" before he shot her? I am sensing some major drama next season, now that Patrick has taken a lover - even if she might be a cold blooded's psycho.

moreless