Niecy Nash Will Recur on The Mindy Project as Mindy's New Rival

By Kaitlin Thomas

Aug 23, 2014

Watch out, Mindy! There's a new doctor in town.

Getting On and Reno 911! actress Niecy Nash is joining The Mindy Project's third season as Mindy's new rival, TV Line reports.

Nash will play Dr. Jean Fishman, the new chief of medicine at Shulman & Associates' admitting hospital. She's also a lesbian and a Boston native who's described as a "take-no-prisoners type."

Also joining The Mindy Project this season is Cheers veteran Rhea Perlman, as Danny's mother Annette

The Mindy Project returns Tuesday, September 16 at 9:30pm on Fox.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

• Comments (7)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • irehawk20 Nov 03, 2014

Well I change my mind about the Neicy situation. She's worser than Xosha, so keep Xosha and don't add Neicy!

• irehawk20 Aug 26, 2014

Yeah I agree about adding both Niecy and Rhea as two additional members of this show's main cast. We can get along showing some increasing interaction along the way, even if they both are starting off as rivals.

Xosha can gain complete relief if Niecy becomes a comrade.

Beth can gain more relief along the way if Rhea becomes a comrade.

But even if they put Zoe as a reduced guest, they should put her back into the main cast to make it stronger.

Finally, the 15-episode order should return back to a 22-episode order in a full season.

• ludoTV Aug 23, 2014

Sounds like Mindy is going to face a few tough ladies in Season 3... That could be good as that would mean there should be enough conflict for her without the show having to add drama to the dorky yet lovely romance between Mindy & Danny (sigh) Castellano

• irehawk20 Sep 02, 2014

Well Tamara might face a tough one against Neicy or Shonda instead.

• PhoenixTremayne Aug 23, 2014

I'm a big fan of Niecy Nash she should be a good addition, wish she was a regular, she knocks it out of the part on Getting on and does a good job on Soul Man, looking forward to seeing her be a rival on Mindy, I hope Rhea Pearlman is the mother from hell if we're lucky.

• missjudgment Aug 23, 2014

I don't mind the guest stars, they usually make it work. Then again, I love this show. Can't wait for the new season.

• WavSlave Aug 23, 2014

Sigh, this show just can't/won't break its habit of constantly bringing in guest stars. And it's so unnecessary given how strong the core cast is. Then again, the core cast itself keeps undergoing minor changes, too. Just settle down and mine the talent that's already there week in and week out.