The New Normal

Mediocre
5.9

No shock

By roflindy, Jul 11, 2013

I hate to say it but this comes as no shock. The writing was absolutely terrible. It had so much potential but the writers pretty well sank this ship. The show started off string and Nana was the perfect balance. But you saw less and less of her and what you did see was toned down greatly. Instead you got endless episodes of social statements shoved down our throats and obnoxious Shania that just wouldn't shut up. I started out as a big fan of the show but by the time the season was over I was almost glad to see it go. That is rare for me. This show was the reverse of Partners. For me that show started off very weak but got stronger and stronger as the weeks went on. Unfortunately it got axed as well.moreless

This is BAD

By tandiekepler, May 12, 2013

I can't say I am surprised this show was cancelled. I am actually really tired of these Ryan Murphy projects. Can't he go and hide in some island for a while and just make room for others to make pitches? I am sorry for Justin Bartha but then again it was his fault for choosing to work in such a bad show.

Holding Both Thumbs Down

By mathewmorgan1, Apr 30, 2013

I'm a member of a group who all watch the same show to be discussed on Facebook. Hadn't seen a single episode, quite frankly, had no interest in watching because I'm not a fan of NeNe Leakes after watching one episode of her loud mouth on Housewives. Watched to give an unbiased review and it was difficult staying tuned. Read some of the reviews about "Gays" and that's not the reason I don't like it. Plain and a bad show.

Bad Television

By dougmartin904, Apr 30, 2013

Two Words - Strongly Dislike!

Rip off of Modern Family

By daniellesumme, Apr 30, 2013

Keeping this short and to the point - Tried watching the show and changed channels half way through. It's a rip off of "Modern Family" and a bad version at best.

An Interesting Roller Coaster Ride of a Show, but Good

By modernfamily120, Apr 15, 2013

This show started out great. Sure, it had a couple of bad episodes here and there, but it was generally good. Nana was hilarious. Shania, when not obsessed with something, was good. Goldie was really sweet. Though, Rocky was fairly invisible. Then, in January, the show crashed. the episodes were not very good. Nana rarely appeared. Rocky, though, became the best part of the show. Rocky became a sweet, lovable, hilarious character. But, besides her, the show was not good. The usual bad plot ideas actually made bad episodes, unlike in the fall. But, when everything seemed totally downhill, the season finale was at the level of episodes 1 and 3. It got its funny back, which it did not have at all January-March. Overall, a good, but not great, season.moreless

On its way up

By drrjames, Apr 01, 2013

In the beginning episodes, I enjoyed the show, but did not think it had a chance. As time goes, the writers have hit their stride. Each episode for some time now has had a good moral message without sacrificing the overall format of the show.

I think it needs a second season to really hit it stride. It has the same potential as Modern Family. The actors do a great job! I would miss each one of them if the show were cancelled.moreless

People are not ready for this show is brave.

By stephenbekker, Mar 05, 2013

I think the audience in the USA are not ready for a GAY driven show. Will & Grace? Grace was straight. Glee? Many straights and a few gays. "Brothers & Sisters" 3 Gays and many straights. The point is that all these shows and the shows that the other commenters mention were not solely driven by Gay-Protagonists.

New Normal is the only and first real primetime American gay character driven scripted comedy (The plot is moved by the GAY protagonists and their funny or sometimes insulting supporting cast).

And all you commenters that want "REAL" gay people portrayed, would have said that it was too real if they didn't use stereotypes to portray these characters. Stereotypes are used to protect people by allowing them to watch something from a distance, to objectify and create opinions from a safe distance.

Would "REAL" gay characters be great to see on TV? YES! But how long did "Queer as Folk" last? QAF was a "REAL" gay show, it even had Lesbians and dealt with "REAL" gay characters. Why was that canceled? Too real?

I am gay and am offended that some people want the show to show more "Normal" guys that just happen to be gay... Really. It is insulting to feminine gay guys. Yes I am butch and manly and most people have no idea that I am gay but I have many "Fem" friends who are more feminine and loud and openly different in the way they dress and act.

This show is brave because it gives the openly gay guy the freedom to be openly gay. It doesn't just show you the socially accepted Gay Jock Butch Gay, that doesn't look gay, heaven forbid a gay guy should look gay. And to the older gay man that cannot relate I can only say that it is an age and generation issue. My generation totally relates to this. I have a serious boyfriend and we want to use a surrogate one of these days and this show really gives us an amazing look into that process.

So the audience might not be ready for liberal, gay driven plots yet. It is sad that a show like this gets slammed but something as lame as "Big Bang Theory" will run for another 4 same old same old seasons not adding to the world anything more than funny one-liners. New Normal is trying to showcase a NEW normal, hence the title. This is my normal, and I think just because it isn't yours do not hate it.

I hope the network will be as brave as the writers and creators of this show is.

moreless

Pretty good!

By jamieosborn54, Feb 11, 2013

The show is kind of cute. I was desperate to find something on Hulu Plus and don't have TV, so I found this. It is pretty good. To me, it is entertaining and the acting is very good, especially by Ellen Barkin and the little girl. When she does the gray garden impression, I was hooked. It is just a good, basic show, just like the Mindy Project. Not as good as Dexter, Madmen or other shows of that nature, but for its genre, its pretty good.moreless

Load More Reviews