HBO Renews and Cancels The Newsroom

By Tim Surette

Jan 13, 2014

So much for Will McAvoy's America. Just like its buddy the printed-on-dead-trees newspaper, HBO's The Newsroom is dying. HBO announced today that it has renewed the Aaron Sorkin drama for a third season, and then put a damper on the celebration by also saying that Season 3 will be the series' last. Production on the final season will begin this spring. 

I don't know if HBO has a specific reason for canceling the show, but The Newsroom has to be considered a disappointment given all the excitement surrounding the network's initial announcement of the series. The ratings have been marginal, hovering around two million, but HBO generally places more weight on branding and stature and a show's ability to entice new subscribers rather than viewers. And that's probably where The Newsroom wrote its walking papers. Despite having the red-hot fresh-off-The-Social-Network Aaron Sorkin as its creator, The Newsroom struggled creatively in its first season and became the butt of many jokes (yet was still talked about come awards time). Improvement in the second season came too late, and now many people seem to be done with the show. 

Renewing and canceling shows seems to be a thing in 2014 for HBO. The network will have a fresh look in 2015, as The Newsroom won't be its only drama to say goodbye this year: Last week HBO announced that Boardwalk Empire will air its final season this fall.

Did you stick with The Newsroom through Season 2? Will you be tuning in for Season 3?

• Comments (139)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • OHSILLYMETX Sep 09, 2015

I'm a little late on commenting, I wish it would do some good, but pretty sure it won't.

For the first time in I don't know how long, that any of the Cable/Satellite Companies came up with a "Real" ADULT show, that didn't have vulgar language or subject matter. The idea of being based on real events made it even more interesting. As many have commented, we (Yes, WE, my husband actually got hooked on and enjoyed a series) enjoyed how easy it was to make a connection with the characters, as if we actually knew them.

HBO are such losers for not seeing the potential, and if it failed on ratings, it was their fault for not promoting it as they should of.

To the Writers and especially to the Actors of Newsroom, I say Bravo! Bravo! for your accomplishment, professionalism and true perfection in delivering one of the best hours of our week.

BOO HISS to HBO for failing to see the importance of this show, NEWS WEEK

• caisandra Jul 31, 2015

The Newsroom was an amazing show.

• markajv6201 Feb 26, 2015

The Newsroom was one of my favorite shows. It was well written, great acting, fantastic cast,, and a feeling that you knew these people. I am deeply saddened it has ended. I just finished the last show and I was in tears. How can such a great show get canceled yet stupid, idiotic shows like Two Broke Girls still be on the air?

• MorganrothMommy Jan 05, 2015

I canceled all of my HBO subscriptions because of this cancellation. No need to keep the pricey HBO channels and subscriptions around when they cut a show we clearly love and need. People need to see exactly what this show depicts. Bad move HBO, very bad move. One day you will regret this decision. I hope another network deems it as important enough to pick back up, legally of course.

• mgarside1970 Dec 31, 2014

Now that the Newsroom is over, I'll be cancelling my HBO subscription. There's nothing else that I watch on their network.

• deblynes7 Dec 31, 2014

I've only started watching the show recently and found it to be smart funny and engaging. Where most shows today are based on unrealistic storybook fantasy, this one is close to life!
    HBO KEEP the show!

• deblynes7 Dec 31, 2014

This show should NOT be cancelled !

• robertrandall16 Dec 20, 2014

Been reading a lot of posts about the ending of Newsroom since the finale last Sunday night. Raves from viewers loving the show have outnumbered anything like criticism (except from review columns) about 200 to 1 ... and the people liking it are pissed enough at HBO to cancel their subscriptions.

• patrickdicks7 Dec 18, 2014

HBO must be mad to get rid of this show. Brilliant

• EricJones Dec 18, 2014

This is a great show and put a different spin on many of the major events that has happened these past few years. I wish they would somehow bring it back.

• See More Comments (96)