We Just Decided To

Episode Reviews (11)

Great

The West Wing in a newsroom

By djmichaelsky, May 31, 2013

Ok. I get it. Alan Sorkin can write a tv show. But does it have to be the same show every time? The Newsroom is just a rehash of The West Wing. Based in a NYC Cable News office. That said, comparing it to the best show ever created (The West Wing, at least the first 3 seasons) is not fair. But I still will.

Intelligent Television is back! Oh and Sorkin too...

By tvnut77, Jul 16, 2012

This is what I'm talking about! Six years since The West Wing left us and I've been wondering ever since if I would be able to watch a show that made me think ever again. This show is vintage Aaron Sorkin and I soaked up every second of this wonderful series premiere.

Set during the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, the news show is transformed to what we always wanted our news to be - honest and fair; not balanced but fair. I only wish the real world could be the same. Mackenzie is witty, smart and sexy. She is the center of the show despite Will being the anchor. Sorkin's idealism bleeds through the script at every turn and inspires me to change my life and positively effect the world.

I can't wait to see how the show holds up over the rest of the season and hopefully for many more to come. I highly recommend it.moreless

I love How the programme touches on the state of emotions not only in America but also in the whole world.

By lettie134, Jun 30, 2012

America is not what is use to be, be it can be what it was. That is such a optimistic aspect to the currrent social tempo in America right now. Not only is it what everyone is thinking and will not say out loud but it also shows just how deflated but humble American's ego has become (espicaly the news channels). At first I was taken back by the raw emotion of the drama. The tempo was hightened by the relevant descion of Obamas campaign and how he has shaped the country currently. The cinematic conventions had brought a welcomed mysterious atmosphere to the debate, with the camera focusing in and out. It was as if the convesation had made us dizzy with exhaustion. When in fact the main protagoinst, Will McAvoy,himself was completely underwhelmed by the situation. We realise by the quick jokes and easiness of his glance that he had been hear before. After his dribbling rant about the state of America, he comes to work and finds his life completely upside down. And some more raw emtion is spilled and in the most honest and inpolite way possible. I adore the heated dynamic of the show and it intensifies even more when Mckenzie arrives. Awomen who has a history and a past that effects everyone int he story espically Will as she is is ex , and he did not know she was coming. Mackenzie has style and class and is sure of her self. As a Brit, I loved the apearence of Dev Patel, Nel, he brings some romantic nostalga to the casting crew. Duo to his role in Slumdog'.

moreless

Finally Sorkin is back

By MechoValchev, Jun 27, 2012

Finally!!! I have been waiting for this since some idiot canceled studio 60. Another fast-pace, great dialogue, actor-centered show from Sorkin. It's like the show is about the show. YES good TV can be intelligent. I just finished watching the episode and can't wait for the next one allready

Exactly what I was missing... the Aaron Sorkin pace

By AkumaHu, Jun 26, 2012

Wow... I had forgotten how much I liked the West Wing until I saw this. Though it will be weird if the show is going to be set a few years in the past, I can see myself becoming just as addicted. The time setting is necessary for the show so I will trust the production team. Now the cast is absolutely amazing and the ease in which I believe them in their roles (despite having seen most of them in other roles) is impressive.

Cannot wait for the next episode!moreless

WHOA! This is Awesome!

By mindmalfunction, Jun 26, 2012

I hadn't heard of this show until TV.com showed it as a listing for the nightly episodes. I can't believe how good this show is and why I hadn't heard of it before. I wish I heard of it before so I could have anticipated how great this show would be. LOVE IT!

Finally

By Filly, Jun 25, 2012

It's been a couple of years since I've seen a pilot that left me 100% sure of watching all other episodes of its show. Just like then, it is the cast that really captivated me. Jeff Daniels is just the perfect man for this job. He's supported by very promising young talent, some familiar faces. In this episode the young crew really set the bar way up there. Can't wait for more.

Solid start, hoping the supporting characters play a big part

By patsully, Jun 25, 2012

Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer were great at making speeches, but it was a little too much for me in the first half of the episode. The vast majority of their dialogue covered everything from the current state of American news, politics and patriotism, but it was the supporting characters that stole the show. The battle for the newsroom between Jim Harper and angry Don was great and set up what should be an entertaining romance going forward with Maggie.

That said, the end of the episode was awesome - I loved the reveal of Mackenzie's notepad. So well done. Oh and drunk Charlie Skinner should be a fun dose of comic relief all season. Can't wait for more.moreless

Aaron Sorkin, you brilliant douche!

By NickStewart1, Jun 25, 2012

Everything about it was perfect. You know by watching this that it's Aaron Sorkin material judging by the witty dialogue, fast paced intellectual rambling, character development, and the comedic cynical protagonist that has a unique view on life.

A compelling new show that gives you chills in ever scene and leave you breathless till it cuts to credits.

AARON SORKIN YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN.

Load More Reviews