The Next Food Network Star

Good
7.7

GIADA

By victoria422, Apr 12, 2014

IRON CHEF bobby flay owns multiple restaurants and has about a gazillion shows on the food network channel and he is all over the other food network channel. alton brown also has a bunch of shows he hosts (good eats, cutthroat kitchen and iron chef.... to name a few) plus he knows EVERYTHING about food. i mean he is on a genius level when it comes to knowing about every product, what it is, where it comes from, what will go with what etc. need i say more about these two being mentors in searching for the next food network star! but GIADA???? WHY DID THEY PICK HER!!! she has one, maybe two sometimes, shows on far as i know, she is a stay at home mom (there is nothing wrong with that) but she doesn't own any restaurants, she doesn't do any other show, she doesn't host or judge anything else besides NFNS. i mean there is no comparison between the 3 of them. food network should have picked someone else for this job. just to name a few IRON CHEF alex guarnaschelli, rachel ray, ina garten etc... they had so many choices and i don't think she is the right person for the job. she seems kind of stuck up, with no patience, she barely ever has something good/nice to say it seems. im almost ready to stop watching because of her. plus, she always stays in her comfort zone by almost always making italian food. how about one of the wonderful, full of knowledge and can cook anything they are handed, women i mentioned. i think she should be replaced either by rachel ray or alex g. im just not on the giada bandwagon but i love bobby and alton, one last thing, idk what happened the year that justin won and why his show wasn't produced but i do know that i liked that format of mentoring better than last year. the mentors really connected with their contestants. i mean when we saw alton break down when justin and the other girl were both picked as finalists in his group (unfortunately i can't remember her was it Marnie???). it was heart warming. it showed that they really connected and they wanted them to become the best chef (win or lose) that they could be. last year left me feeling that they didn't care as much. idk how to explain it but it just seemed they didn't have as much time with their mentors. the year justin won was the best format of the show, you could see the mentors really believed in the person who was up for elimination, if they continue with how they did the show last year, i know that they just lost one viewer, and food network executives replace giada with someone who has a wider range of knowledge and is more caring and sensitive and that has more than one show she is on. I MEAN IS SHE REALLY THE MOST QUALIFIED WOMAN FOR THE JOB?????? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!moreless

ridiculous retreds

By waynebarber2013, Sep 28, 2013

out of all the talented cooks out there, why does the food network keep recycling past competitors. for the most part these are past losers. it's almost as if the FN seems determined to create a spot for someone who just hasn't cut it previously--typically someone who is ridiculously extroverted or ridiculously controversial (taking a stupid page from Hell's Kitchen). it seems a channel called Food Network would make their primary focus culinary skill, not controversy. the most recent example I've noticed was that stupid, selfish bitch Davidi on Cutthroat Kitchen. I know I've seen her at two or three times already. Food Network could take a page or two from Top Chef--most of whose contestants could cook circles around almost anything the FN has to offer (including most of the Iron Chefs!) Everything about Top Chef is very professional from the contestants to the judges. I used to have a good half dozen FN shows I watched religiously; now I'm down to just two or three, especially Chopped which thankfully still has its real focus on food and cooking. come on, Food Network, let's get back to real cooking!moreless

Bring Stacy back!

By foodnetworkfan, Aug 05, 2013

Giada said Stacy was guarded and not genuine. Really Giada? Love your show but I do not consider you to be genuine and real on tv at all!! Also, people I know who have seen your show feel the same. Yet, we love your recipes and that is why we watch you. Stacy is someone

Everyone could relate to. She is the real deal. Great concept for her show too. You voted her out unfairly from the beginning. Sad.

Still, my family and I love food network.moreless

the next food network star should be someone viewers will actually watch

By mirandamcgr81, Apr 23, 2013

I would like to be on this show. I have one tape on you tube, but I don't have a camera crew so my progress hasn't been as great as I would like. But here is the link.....0UJ4NzHSyso. Or search Fancy Your Feast.

the next food network star should be someone viewers will actually watch

By tvbloom2162, Jun 05, 2012

I don't get why viewers don't vote throughout the whole season. Do the judges even know who watches their shows? Honestly there is no room for another Italian, Mexican, Southern or Indian food show. I don't want to watch a meal being cooked in 30 minutes, under 10 dollars or under some other premise that may or may not be possible. Ten dollars gets you a lot more in some places and heck, I can make a meal for 4 for under $5 and throw together a deli tray in 10 minutes. The only three I would watch from this years contestants are retro girl, the kid who's totally out of the box (he might even be in another box altogether) or Ippy- I don't know a whole lot about Hawaiian cuisine. I haven't watched a whole show from the last 2 winners but I'm hoping they get it right this year.moreless

Eric?!?! Really??!!??!!

By The_Chef_Scout, Jun 04, 2012

This has to be probably the most assanine decision you guys have ever made .. or at least since the JAG fiasco. You take the one guy ... the one true chef in the competition ... and you can him. Actually, you had two of the better ones on the chopping block while keeping the "butch" cook, who no one will watch (and you know that without any prejudice at all), and the "babbling blonde, who can't put together a whole line of thought. Both of those should already be gone, but they are still there and the real chefs are being cut. Talking about cutting your nose off to spite your face!!!! This is as bad as the time you canned JAG and then, a few weeks later, decided to keep Robert Irvine after finding out he lied (double standard). None of that worked out well. And to make the whole Irvine thing worse, you now have him entertaining Michelle Obama. What next??? Have you really stooped so far that you will sacrifice actual food artistry for political correctness??? Unbelievable!!! Why do politics have to pollute this area of our lives too????moreless

It's no wonder they don't let the audience decide!!! The finale was a farce.

By wendykc666, Jun 17, 2011

I like cooking shows, and I didn't watch reality shows until the cooking ones came along. I think Food Network is a great channel, but the finale this season was ridiculous.

I liked Lisa because she was polished and focused, plus, she's a Texas girl, so I had to root for the home team. I'm not a big fan of pearls and high heels in the kitchen- but to each ones own. She definitely had a point of view, and the knowledge to back it up.

Aaron. Hmmm. What I found strange was that he was so personable when he was "off camera," but every time the challengers had to demonstrate on set-he froze, or flubbed, or just didn't seem comfortable.

Adam was a charmer, and even though I feel like a traitor to Lisa, I was really rooting for Adam. He had a built in gimmick for his show. He made the audience laugh, and he was pretty consistent in looking good on camera. I did wince a little when he sang to Martha Stewart, but I appreciated the fact that he just went for it. Because he didn't hold anything back, what could have been a train wreck actually turned in to a rather cute moment.

I would have been happy if either Lisa or Adam had won, and once I realized that-I knew that they would pick Aaron, so I can't say that I was very shocked when they announced. Just terribly disappointed.

What I think is very telling is the fact that they made it a point to say that the new show would air in one week. They've obviously learned from their past mistakes. The girl from last season-the one who wanted to bring French cuisine into the home? (remember? I barely do) I watched and watched for her, and somewhere around 6 months after she won, they put her show on at, I think, 8:30 in the morning. Some unholy hour, like that. I taped the first episode (yawn) and as far as I can recall, they only aired about 4 or 5 more, and then she was gone, gone, gone.

I like this show because natural cooks are as welcome as trained cooks, and I'll keep watching the show. But sometimes the network executives are not as in touch with their viewers as they could be.

I hope Bob reads the boards. Maybe next year we'll actually get a winner who deserves it.moreless

Lousy contestants. The last two people:

The woman did not qualify to be a contestant.

The man was a disaster with the risotti. He knew it would be and he did it anyway; and he spent $317! I was not impressed with 99% of these challengers.

By lemonice20, Jul 27, 2009

Lousy contestants. The last two people:

The woman did not qualify to be a contestant.

The looks on the faces of the judges throughout the week told it all; not necessarily the words that came out of their mouths; just their facial expressions.

I guess out of the last two, I would go for the man because he meets the criteria of the challenger.

I could never see any of them becoming Flay.moreless

I've been disappointed the direction Food Network has been turning as they re-envision their charter, and I believe this show is a prime example of their problems.

By layle1, Aug 01, 2008

I admit I have a softer spot in my heart for Top Chef because it was one of my first guides, but I don't believe that view radically skews my opinions of this show, although the gentle reader may grow weary of the comparison. These comments relate to the recently completed season four.

While discussing the show with a friend, I said it was like watching Top Chef on Valium, but it's more accurately Top Chef on Valium and Prozac with a little Digoxin thrown in for good measure.

The Show Overall: These episodes move so slowly, but you still feel unsatisfied at the end of the hour. The editing is choppy, leaving no coherent story arc (or whatever it's called in the reality genre). There's so much detritus footage that makes no difference to the episode resolution, but it's there every week. I want to see more of the selection committee, I want to see more cooking, I want to understand the decisions better. I want, I want, I want. I shouldn't end each week with this feeling.

The Challenges: They devise ridiculous challenges that neither test the finalists' skills nor relate to any kind of studio work they'll film (The Digoxin part -- you know, psych drug, psych drug, cardiac drug. Which of these doesn't belong?). This season alone they had to cook on a moving train, a carrier at sea, perform different skills set demonstrations with no prep time, etc. None of that remotely represents what they'll find if they win the show, when culinary producers and crews create scripts, test recipes, basically eliminate the need for the cooking skills at all. Now I'll admit that Top Chef has had some stupid challenges, the gas station and vending machine ones come to mind, but they were at the QuickFire level (Mini-Challenge on NFNS), not the Elimination (Main Challenge on NFNS). What should have been a logical progression of introductory to proficient camera skills and basic to chef-level cooking technique demonstrations ended up a hodge-podge with no clear organization or rhythm.

The Editing: All due respect to my sister: I know that editors are sometimes limited by the whim of the producers and/or clients. The thing is, someone should have stood back and realized that the product was milquetoast. Crisper editing with a view to the story for the episode would have made a world of difference. Getting rid of a quarter of the inane comments by the finalists -- some of which were obviously scripted -- would have breathed life into the franchise. There's only so much illumination that can be cast on a scene by an off-set remark. Only Adam actually fulfilled the typical role these usually take: a funny or sarcastic reflection on what happened. Skillful editing includes the expression on faces as things happen, so the subtext isn't needed to understand what's going on.

The Finalists: A more boring batch of contestants I've yet to meet, with the exception of Kelsey who was the most annoying, plastic replicant ever to dull a show (Marcel from Top Chef is still no. 1, but Kelsey may edge out Richard Hatch for the no. 2 spot). I keep harping on the editing, but either no one had any personality, or any flares of realism were left on the hard drive (or cutting room floor, depending on your era). The weird thing is that Top Chef began with contestants like this their first season, but each year the talent pool gets better and higher up the culinary food chain. This is not a perfect analogy, because it's very clear that Food Network is no longer looking for skilled chefs, but that wouldn't prevent them from looking for more talented amateurs.

My disappointment in this show is not that it's failing to become a Top Chef clone (believe it or not), but that they've watered down the competition and created such a bland product that it's boring. Whether through editing or elimination decisions, it was pretty clear from the beginning who was being groomed. It's hard to invest in a finalist if you know his or her days are numbered. Obscure judging also didn't help things. In this season's final episode, the criteria cited by Susie or Bob was that the winner had to be able to start filming the next day. This could mean one of two things (well, it could mean more, but these are the two I came up with): Either two of the finalists had family obligations or only one needed the least work to become camera-ready. If it's the former, what a stupid way to make a decision, if it's the latter, I do not see how they chose the winner they did. But how would we know? Not one decision was ever explained on camera either to the contestants or to the viewer.

Even understanding that they are focusing on camera skills, rather than cooking ability -- a sad trend throughout the network -- I believe this show could be so much more than the rote entertainment it is.moreless

Load More Reviews