NBC Sets Summer Premiere Dates for The Night Shift, Undateable, Crossbones, and More

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 27, 2014

We're only a few days into spring, but it's time to start thinking about summer and all the TV we're going to be watching during it because we're allergic to sunshine and pool chemicals and fresh air and sand. NBC is the latest network to unveil its summer schedule, and with premiere dates already announced for unscripted shows like Last Comic Standing (Thursday, May 22) and America's Got Talent (Tuesday, May 27), all that's left are the scripted shows that were announced forever ago and that most of us only vaguely recall, plus one new reality series from Adam Richman (Man v. Food).

The Night Shift – Premieres Tuesday, May 27 at 10pm

A new medical series starring Eoin Macken (Merlin), Jill Flint (Royal Pains), Ken Leung (Person of Interest), Brendan Fehr (Bones, Roswell), Daniella Alonso (Revolution), and Freddy Rodriguez (Six Feet Under, Grindhouse). The Night Shift follows the men and women who work—you guessed it—the night shift at San Antonio Memorial Hospital. Macken's T.C. Callahan is an army veteran and doctor who enjoys blowing off steam with his friends and co-workers Topher (Leung) and Drew (Fehr) in between the terrible burden of having to save lives. That is, until their new boss (Rodriguez) comes on board and puts pressure on them to clean up their act.

Undateable – Premieres Thursday, May 29 at 9pm with back-to-back episodes

From the show-creating machine that is Bill Lawrence (ScrubsCougar Town) comes Undateable, a new comedy about a group of people who need a little bit of help to escape their "undateable" phase. Chris D'Elia (Whitney) stars as Danny, a confident man in his late 20s who decides to help out his roommate—a bar owner named Justin (Brent Morin)—and a few of Justin's friends. Those friends are played by Ron Funches, Rick Glassman, David Lynn, and Bianca Kajlich, and the group spends most of their time at the bar, where they help solve each other’s problems over beers, like rational people do.

Crossbones – Premieres Friday, May 30 at 10pm

Starring John Malkovich and Richard Coyle, Crossbones is NBC's pirate drama about the infamous Blackbeard (Malkovich). The show is set in 1715 in New Providence, where Blackbeard and his band of sailors, thieves, outlaws, and general miscreants have become a threat to international trade. Assassin Tom Lowe (Coyle) is sent to the island to take down Blackbeard, but eventually discovers that it's not so easy to beat a pirate who looks like John Malkovich. Plus, he kind of admires the guy's business acumen and political ideals. There's also something about a lady that Blackbeard cannot deny. But whatever, BRING ON THE PIRATES!

Taxi Brooklyn – Premieres Wednesday, June 25 at 10pm

Chyler Leigh (Grey's Anatomy) , Jacky Ido (Inglourious Basterds), Ally Walker (Sons of Anarchy), and Jennifer Esposito (Blue Bloods) star in this action-comedy police procedural that centers on an unofficial partnership between a New York City taxi driver and a driven NYPD detective.

Welcome to Sweden – Premieres Thursday, July 10 at 9pm

This new comedy comes from the Poehler siblings—the very famous, very funny Amy, and the less famous but probably still cool Greg. Based on Greg's own life, the series is a half-hour sitcom that tells a fish-out-of-water story as New York accountant Bruce (Greg) falls in love with a Swedish girl, Emma (Josephine Bornebusch) and moves to her native country.

Working the Engels – Premieres Thursday, July 10 at 9:30pm

Working the Engels is a single-camera comedy featuring a family who must band together to pick up the pieces after their patriarch passes away, leaving them a mountain of debt and a law firm to run. Andrea Martin (SCTV), Azura Skye (American Horror Story), Kacey Rohl (Hannibal), and Benjamin Arthur (Less Than Kind) star.

Food Fighters – Premieres Tuesday, July 22 at 8pm

Hosted by Man v. Food's Adam Richman, Food Fighters is an unscripted series on which the best amateur cooks in the country will compete against five professional chefs. As the amateurs knock out the pros and move ahead in the competition, the cash prizes they're hoping to win will increase. All dishes will be judged by a “Dinner Party” of fancy culinary peeps, who I'm 99 percent sure don't have names that rhyme with Shannibal Schmecter.

Do any of these sound good to you?

• Comments (48)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Greys_Fan Jun 14, 2014

Working the engles already premiered and finished in Canada if you want to find a dowwnload somewhere

• jmpowell63 Jun 04, 2014

Really love this show, my husband and I both agree this is a winner.

• saizen33 May 20, 2014

I'm glad to see Eoin Macken on my TV screen again. Crossbones looks good, too.

• karenmulhern May 17, 2014

i swear they aired a few eps of the Night Shift during 2013. i KNOW i saw commercials advertising it for last fall and i know i saw the pilot already and it was AWFUL! Am i the only one who remembers this?

• ArkhamNative May 27, 2014

Are you thinking of "Do No Harm"? A sort of Jekyll & Hyde story from Winter & Summer 2013? As for Night Shift, I saw that some sites gave their impressions of the pilot mid-2013 ("tired", "nothing new"), but there's no indication that it's been aired yet.

• JT_Kirk Mar 28, 2014

Undateable - it's got Bill Lawrence and Ron Funches, so I guess i'll look this thing in the face. Also Bianca Kajlich isn't so bad.

Crossbones stars John Malkovich? Fuuuuuuck, I'll watch that. I suspect not for long though, it's still NBC.

• ToddMurray Mar 27, 2014

The Night Shift - ugh, yet another hospital drama. Makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I guess some people like this crap. Grey's Anatomy is really terrible now, yet it's still on the air (with apologies to my friend who was just on the show, you were great :) ).

Undateable - I trust in Bill Lawrence, so I'll check it out, but it doesn't sound very interesting to me. Even if you're not datable, hang out in a bar long enough and you'll eventually hook up with someone. Thanks alcohol!

Crossbones - looking forward to it, but imagine it will get the typical NBC treatment - if it doesn't find an audience in two weeks, it will get banished to Saturday nights, even from Friday.

Taxi Brooklyn, an action-comedy police procedural - wonder where they got that idea (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, *cough cough*). At least Jennifer Esposito is out of her Blue Bloods deal finally. Apparently, her extremely managable

Welcome to Sweden - didn't even know Poehler had a brother, but I love her, so I'll definitely check it out.

Working the Engels - someone dies and leaves their family with a mountain of debt, sounds effing hilarious! No wait, it's the exact opposite of that. Pass.

Food Fighters - as if we didn't have enough cooking competitions on tv already. That's basically all Food Network is now.

• Sanity_Bleeds Mar 27, 2014

I'll give Crossbones a chance, sure it won't have all the delightful nudity and profanity of Black Sails, probably not the caliber of acting either (sans Mr. Malkovich) but with any luck, it'll at least have a more compelling story and we'll actually see more than 2 isolated incidences of piracy in an entire season!

• Svanehjerte Mar 27, 2014

Crossbones sounds good! At least better than the crap on Starz. :)
    The rest doesn't sound interesting.

• osdawaya16 Mar 27, 2014

There isn't a date for Crossing Lines... I'm really looking forward to that show's return.

Also, I'll probably try The Night Shift because of Brendan Fehr and Ken Leung. Yay!

• RachaelChan Mar 27, 2014

I know I'll probably get flamed pretty bad for this, but I am seriously bummed that we're not yet seeing any sign of a Siberia Season 2. The show had some flaws but the premise was fantastic! Also, I was entranced by the unfolding mysteries. Argh, that season 1 finale cliffhanger though - not cool to leave us hanging like that with no answered questions! Especially if we don't ever see a second season. There is a fine line between a finale I would consider successful - one which answers questions, takes the storyline a bit further, and then ends with a cliffhanger - and a finale that's a stinker - one which doesn't answer any real questions, only builds up more questions, and ends on a cliffhanger. I suppose NBC's release of premiere dates sans-Sibera is not that surprising... But I really would like to know where they were going with this. Hey, maybe another network or perhaps a streaming company will pick it up. Here's hoping.

• Sanity_Bleeds Mar 27, 2014

Considering they didn't even show the last bit of Siberia that was supposed to be the finale, I doubt we'll likely see more of it. Much as I enjoyed Siberia, NBC didn't market it worth a damn and the larger majority of people who did check it out were literally too damn stupid to realize it wasn't another reality show, but a fantastical mockery of one.

• RachaelChan Mar 27, 2014

I agree with everything you said. NBC's marketing - or lack thereof - set Siberia up for failure from the beginning. I saw those posts from people saying "this is so fake!" and "a ripoff of Survivor" - I honestly couldn't figure out how they could get this impression.

Question though - what was the last bit of Siberia that was supposed to be the finale??? Where can I see/read about it?

• Sanity_Bleeds Mar 28, 2014

They sort of stripped down and spliced eps 11 and 12 after the William and Kate's baby was born and it threw off their schedule but it never made any since with how they truncated it all together. Apparently the Season 1 DVD set only has 11 eps as well and doesn't feature the original formatting either. On the plus side though, NBC still hasn't officially cancelled it, and rumors from the park where filming took place is the cabins and the rest of the sets are still set up as of this last month, so who knows?

• See More Comments (22)