The Cliffhanger

Episode Reviews (33)

Superb

Johnny DIES!

By ous3606, Jun 05, 2010

Abosulty amazing i was so surprised that they killed johnny but also very happy because i didnt like him much. They way they did it with kaitlan and him drinking at the beach then him climbing up the rocks to the top then slipping was very original and cleaver this is one of my favourite episodes because it builds a lot of emoition and makes u feel sorry for Marissa. This episode a lot of people dismiss but i really loved it one of the most exciting and emotional episodes of the oc. i hope u like it to .moreless

Alcohol, the easiest way to create conflict and drama in Orange County.

By ZaleIsBackAgain, Jan 11, 2010

Once again alcohol is portrayed as the scapegoat to manifesting a problem in The O.C. Johnny butthurt that Marissa rejected him, as if no one saw that coming, decides to act a fool, drink to his heartache's content, and then fall off a cliff. Unlike the whole Trey shooting, this one was a trainwreck; you saw it coming waaaaay before it actually happened which really ruined the excitement. And really this whole Johnny situation has worn itself out thin. Thankfully it's at least better than the previous terrible episode; it's actually kind of funny, but Seth's storyline sucks and Sandy's is meh, so so.moreless

Johnny is gone!

By sellie12, Jul 12, 2008

It's about time they got rid of that wet-rag Johnny! He was like the worst thing this series ever brought to the table! This was the final time we would have to hear him cry over Marissa and Ryan's relationship, the last time he would do something extremely stupid over Marissa and the last time we saw him! It was an excellent way to send out such a home-wrecker-esque charecter! Although the aftermath of his death was just hell. Because we have to deal with a delirious Marissa, a happy-moody Ryan, a pity-party Kaitlin and Sadie. So although it was good saying adios to him it didn't help the series in anyway.moreless

A true tragedy.

By Kadodian, Nov 08, 2007

well this episode was good.

Not the best but not bad.

Ok the acting of this episode was great.

The music effects were great.

But the writing was not.

I mean it's like the writers meant for everyone to feel really bad.

The character Jhonny has been a character that I am sure everyoe felt sorry for.

Jhonny's love to Marrissa although she dosen't love him back was sad and the fact he had an accident and almost couldn't walk was sadder but to end him in death and in not a cleverly-plotted one, I mean what are the odds of him getting drunk, wanting to climb the cliff and falls of.

To top it all of Katilin blamed herself but her balming herself wasn't the most dramatic scene.

So it wasn't written that well but the funeral was very touching.

The surf board funeral was a very great idea.

This episode gets C

I am sorry.moreless

The O.C. 'The Cliffhanger'

By Jordan_Alexa, Jul 19, 2007

I really liked this episode a lot. It was so fantastic and well writen, and it kept you guessing right up until the very end. The reason i put 'painful to watch' as my classification wasn't because it wasn't a good episode, because trust me, i loved it. It was the fact that Johnny was just letting himself go after marissa told him she was going to stay with Ryan. after she confessed to him in the letter he just moped around and i hated that because johnny was one of my favorite characters. I felt so bad for him and I knew something horrible was going to happen when he started drinking like crazy when he was with Caitlin on the beach. Everything from the point that he started climbing the rock to the very end was so stressful for me, i could hardly breath. His last lines were so sad too, because he was telling Ryan how he didn't want to be saved by him because then Marissa would just love Ryan more, and then he fell off. I tryed so hard not to cry, but that was just a horrible part.

I think this episode has to be one of my favorites! It was so good.moreless

The OC. Episode 14

By stella_lisy, Jun 03, 2007

After months of doubts and pain... Finally Marissa did clear her mind and choose between Ryan and Johnny. And of course when everything seems fixed, drama runs into: it turns out Johnny feels like practising a little bit of hiking. Following the principle of "DIB" - Drunk Is Better.

Seth doing pot is definitely out of character but, when he was up to tell Summer how amazing the Cohens TV screen was, I couldn't help laughing. And what about his expressions after "Save the last dance"? LOL

It's not fair. Right now Kirsten's only task consists in:

- providing Sandy's lunch.

- helping Julie's love issues.

However, Julie spying on Neil was so hilarious. They're totally a perfect couple. And if they stick together, Marissa and Summer are going to be like step-sisters. That's nice.

Little Coop is the biggest troublemaker ever. I hope her winter holidays won't last that long.

By the way, Taylor is disappeared. Yay.moreless

Start of something new.

By Dammit_Voyeur, Nov 11, 2006

Johnny dies... I don't like his character too much, but I think that he could had a better ending than this one. And his death was a little forced, he was mocking Ryan and falled off a cliff?? Ok, weird, really weird. We saw Sandy in doubt about his business methods. I think that he will start to act more Caleb-like now that he saw that it's the only way to win in the lead of Newport group. Summer discovers the truth about Seth... This is gonna bring him trouble, it's guaranteed. And Marissa.. I think that she played with Ryan and Johnny for too much time. She had fellings for Ryan and traded him with Johnny, now she has some feelings dor Johnny (at least is what she shows) and abandon him for Ryan... She deserves neither of them. Was a good episode, I think that will change the story of the third season. Let's see about that.moreless

Not impressed

By mandytjie, Sep 30, 2006

There are so many more wonderful things you can do to a character when you get tired of him. In fact, there are so many other ways of dealing with a short term character, than leave his character so undeveloped we have all but guessed his demise before it happens.

I really liked Johnny, but I knew his days were numbered from Marissa's very first day at NU. Now see, the writers should take a good look at Veronica Mars and take a page out of their book when it comes to dealing with temporary characters. I don't think anyone was expecting Beaver to go, never mind go like that.

Anyway, I've rated the episode really low, but the fact remains that I am addicted to this show.moreless

Marissa confesses her true feelings to Jonny which does not go down well with him and he takes a dangerous climb.

By theoc_dandj, May 13, 2006

Even though what was going to happen was predictable, I was sitting in front of the T.V crying! I found it funny when Seth and Summer was watching the movies and Seth finds the glowing blue screen as amazing as the movies they watched! I found it nice when Marissa was comforting Kaitlin when Jonny was at the top of the cliff and Ryan goes up to help Jonny... then Jonny and Ryan had an argument and Jonny askes Ryan what was he going to do save his life and then he slips and Ryan tries to save him but misses... that was why I labeled this review tear jerker... it was so sad. My brother said they should have shown him all mangled at the bottom of the cliff or something but it was already sad enough! Great ep!moreless

In what is probably the most exciting episode of the season, Johnny's time with Marissa is tragically cut short while Summer does some investigating and Julie bites off more than she can chew.

By Mousemat, Apr 23, 2006

This episode had everything i've wanted all season.

S/S was awesome. Back to making me laugh. Loving StonedSeth!

Johnny actually ACTED.

They were actually able to make me interested in the Newport Group plotline, more than I have ever been this season. There was a lot more Kandy, and i appreciated every second.

Julie was flawless! I laughed out loud when she wore the shades and black hood in the restaurant. Hot Pockets. "I know you've been married for like 200 years" Best line of the night.

Ryan being... Ryan for the first time in forever! Called Marissa out, and the scene with him and Johnny in the poolhouse was great. I love Ryan all over again. Him and Marissa had perfect chemistry tonight. Though it involved a lot of question about their relationship, it was great to see real interaction between them. Loved their brief makeout, it was hot.

I really enjoyed the part Kaitlin has come to play in everyone's life recently. She seems to be shedding light on a lot of things, and it may be causing drama, but good drama nonetheless.

Fall at your Feet was the perfect song for the beach scenes. I loved everything about it. There was actual emotion from each actor, and Ryan's face when he didn't catch Johnny, that hit hard. I teared up a tad bit.

My favorite episode of Season 3moreless