The Office (UK)

Show Reviews (54)

Great

The most rewarding and exhilarating comedy show I have ever lay eyes on.

By dazinater04, Sep 20, 2010

The Office, despite a short lived show, ranks up there with the likes of Red Dwarf and Blackadder as one of the greatest British comedies on television. For what lacks in longevity, it makes up for pure mockumentary brilliance. The complex structure and the unique way it's filmed don't get in the way of it's high accessibility factor; no matter how much TV you watch, you're sure to find The Office appealing.

Everything in the program is on top form: it's quirky script, it's incredibly sympathetic yet lovable characters, the documentary filmed style, it's simple yet accustomed setting. Once you enter the office, you feel like you're a part of it.

David Brent is the main character, played by Ricky Gervais. Despite his vulgar remarks to situations, his "uncoolness", his egoistical approach to socialise: he has a high likabilty factor. At certain parts we laugh at him for his terrible jokes and his "trying too hard" methods, cringing at every little thing he says and screaming at the tele "Awww! Brent! Why would you say that!", and others we actually feel for him, when people don't take a liking to his awkward situations and don't respond the way he would think they do. And this is what Office is all about: pure awkwardness. I won't go into too much detail describing the support characters, but there's every sort of relationship jampacked into the office: love/hate relationships, love triangles, competition over friends, friendly bullying... and all these we can relate to.

There are so many funny scenes throughout the show, and when you think the current episode's hilarity peaks, the next episode comes on and completely blows it's funny factor away.

Both series equal in quality, and I honestly can't see one dip in the whole show. Apart from the dull, tedious new emloyees in series 2, it's pretty much consistent. If anything, the show reaches it's peak with it's two part Christmas finale, which is probably the most incredible piece of TV I have ever seen in my life. I was that sad when I knew the show had come to an end that a shed a tear or two... but they were more tears of happenis if anything because of the incredible viewing that was The Office.

Just watch it, I urge you. And if you consider, I am hugely jealous of the journey you are going to take watching the show. If I only I could erase it from my mind to experience it once again!moreless

Absolutely fantastic.

By insinity, Apr 10, 2010

Absolutely fantastic indeed.

A comedy show which makes us laugh so hard at a particular character one almost always feels embarrassed for him... that's how awkward his persona is.

Both seasons and of course the special/grand finale are masterfully constructed and couldn't be any better as far as I'm concerned.

A special mention to the special/finale which completely tied up everything that the previous 12 episodes offered while staying true to the characters and giving the show the happy ending it needed.

Another case of this is... yup, Extras! Which is another work by the masterminds responsible for The Office. Not a coincidence. Go watch it.moreless

Life in an office can be dull (especially in Slough). Docu style comedy following the day to day running of a paper merchant with an idiot as a boss.

By delboy71, Dec 18, 2008

One of the best British comedys, up there with Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers. Can watch again and again. Ricky Gervais is excellent as cringe worthy David Brent and along with his sidekick Gareth they make a perfect comedy team. As anyone who has worked in a corporate office knows there are people like these 2 about. The will they wont they saga between Tim & Dawn is very realistic and also the relationship between David and Neil is brilliant screen writing. All in all a classic show, that can be watched over and over again. No wonder the idea was sold to 60 countries. Haven'et seen the US version yet, but I cant see how it will be as funny and subtle as the British version.moreless

I'm not a fan of the show.

By more_ncis_now, Oct 25, 2008

I've watched parts of 'The Office' on a few occasions, but I'm never very impressed. I like the concept of the show - based around the goings on in an office - but the humour doesn't appeal to me, which I find strange as the show was written for an audience with a British sense of humour, which I guess I should have being a Brit, but this one just doesn't appeal. I'm not really a fan of Ricky Gervais so this could be skewing my perception slightly, but the show just seems slow to get going and unenthusiastic at times. Not the show for me!moreless

One of the best sitcom on television!

By anajones, May 08, 2008

The office is just one of the funniest sitcom on television.

Ricky Gervais is a pure genius. His character David Brent is absolutely unfunny while thinking his the funniest man on Earth. The faces he's making, the bad jokes he's telling, the songs he is singing...everything about him is amazingly hilarious!(David Brent song "Free love on the Freelove Freeway" is ridiculous and yet so addictive!). Gareth (Mackenzie Crook) is so ridiculous, but in the best way possible.

And Martin Freeman and Lucy Davis as Tim and Dawn are funny and so cute that you just want Dawn to leave her horrible fiancé for Tim.moreless

Just thinking about this show makes me break out into uncontrollable hysterics!

By Steph__x, Mar 28, 2008

I can re-watch an episode of The Office a million times and still die of laughter. It truly is on of the greatest things to brace any television screen. Rickey Gervais is an absolute comical genius!

Each episode is as entertaining as the next. It has all the great kinds of comedy: laughing until its hurts, laughing because it's just so embarrassing and laughing because all you can do is laugh.

Some people find The American one funny, but compared to the UK one...the American one is a joke (and not the funny kind!).

I love all the moments. The pairings in this show are gold; Gareth and David: blissfully unaware of how lame they are, Tim and Dawn: Spending most of their time making fun of Gareth, Tim and Gareth: They annoy each other so much which leads to some of the greatest arguments on TV, and Dawn and David: David thinks they are friends whereas I don't actually think Dawn can stand him...Hilarious!

If you've never watched The UK office...you have not lived!moreless

Laughter is the best medicine.

By InTheGiggleLoop, Mar 11, 2008

If you ever get a chance pick this up. It is much better then the American remake. The cast is amazing together and gets you loving and hatting a character at the same time,but much more loving. If you enjoy the American version you will be blown away with the sheer joy you get from watching this. The mockumentary form is just genius and adds a great deal to the attitude of The Office,one of the best British comedies ever. I would also check out Coupling if you like this. That is another of my favorite British comedies. Make sure to check this out if you want to LOL or ROTFL.moreless

Soccer vs Football, Metric vs. Imperial, British vs American version? Stop! No need to decide to between the two. Great in it's own way.

By lennydonkey, Feb 21, 2008

Somehow American vs British version of the show has become an all out culture war. But there's really no need to swear loyalty to one and rip apart the other. The British version was first and does many things very well in it's own unique way. David Brent as boss is incomparable. It's as though Ricky Gervas was born for the role. And the short run has a distinct advantage. It allows the characters, especially Dawn and Tim, to have a complete emotional arc rather then try to stretch a storyline for as long as possible. This version, while hysterical, also has the advantage of presenting some real heart tugging saddness and drama. This makes the final payoff that much more rewarding.moreless

UK all the way...

By deejayadz, Jan 14, 2008

The type of humour in the original UK version is ten times funnier than the US one.

The main boss (David Brent for UK) is supposed to be an embarrassing un-attractive boss, to add to the whole cringe factor.

The cringyness is one of the main things which makes it funny.

The acting is a lot more natural in the UK version also.

You actually believe your watching an office, not actors.

The American acting is good, but it's too 'Hollywood' - not enough like a documentary.

The musical comedy is also excellent in the UK version.

Ricky Gervais' expressions when he's playing the guitar are great.moreless

Load More Reviews