The Originals "Crescent City" Review: A Mystic Falls

By Price Peterson

Feb 05, 2014

The Originals S01E13: "Crescent City"

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what we in the business call A HOT STREAK. (What is a hot streak?) Three absolutely fantastic episodes in a row, all of them with huge stakes and risky storytelling and the undeniable feeling that we're in the hands of experts. Prior to this particular run The Originals was solid-enough, but now it's basically must-see. Last week Papa Tunde thrilled and chilled me to my very bones mostly because he finally seemed like the colorful, formidable villain that this show needed to get everyone mobilized. While Sabine/Celeste wasn't quite as immediately compelling on the surface, in "Crescent City" she proved that she's a straight-up genius mastermind. Not only were her plans properly ambitious in this episode, it turned out that she'd been laying the groundwork for a witch takeover for a while now. Like, remember when she claimed that Hayley's baby was the anti-christ? Turns out she just made that up so that Elijah would murder a more powerful witch and increase Celeste's power! (Probably just a retcon for a go-nowhere subplot, but still!) Celeste is stone-cold. And now she's got two of the Mikaelsons in custody, she arranged for the murder of my least favorite character on the show, AND she manipulated a gaggle of naked hunks into doing her bidding. Whatever reservations I once had about Celeste are now way, way gone. Celeste is the best. Because she is truly the worst. (And I still love Bastiana so much. Literally welcome back, girl.)

I guess we'll talk about Klaus first because I can't shake the mental image of that self-burrowing dagger disappearing into his chest. What a straight-up nightmare that was! Anyway, the revived witch Bastiana attended Father Kieran's first services at his reopened church (which has an exterior now!) and immediately put a hex on him. It was the same kind of hex that made Cami's brother go on a murder-rampage all those years ago, so obviously he was not thrilled about it. But the it turned out this was a form of witch blackmail: If Cami agreed to bury that ivory witch dagger into Klaus' chest, the witches would undo the hex. So then the question was whether Cami would actually go through with it or not, and in a moment I basically cheered at, she simply immediately turned the dagger over the Klaus and told him everything. "If there's doing to be a war, I want to be on the winning side." Because YES. The Originals will win every war, just as they always had for the last thousand years. Say what you will about Cami's role in this world, but she ain't a dummy. Plus I just love an uneasy friendship born of necessity, you know? Two smart characters teaming up usually leads to good things. Well, except in this case.

After Klaus attempted to help Cami's uncle by bleeding him out (into the holy water!), the compulsion couldn't override his hex, so Klaus resorted to Plan B by kidnapping Sophie's niece Monique (who had hilariously burst out of a tomb in front of a bunch of tourists on a cemetery tour) and attempted to blackmail the witches right back. But after Klaus tussled with Marcel (who was not thrilled about children being used as bargaining chips), Sophie plunged the dagger into Klaus and it disappeared into his chest leaving him a screaming, paralyzed mess. As Papa Tunde told us last week, that dagger would do things to an Original worse than death. And sure enough, that's what it looks like. Poor Klaus!

Meanwhile "Crescent City" also gave us the first real full-moon of the series (right?), which was only useful to Hayley in that it meant she could finally mingle with her reverse-werewolf relatives when they returned to human form for a few hours. So like any former resident of Mystic Falls she knew what she had to do: Throw a house party! It was already a fun scenario when Rebekah offered to help set up (including boiling crawfish), but then the naked hunks began emerging from the woods. This show has gotten a lot right, or at least changed things to become better, but its biggest undeniable shortcoming has been the lack of beefcake. Not anymore! First a naked hunk walked into the kitchen and seduced Rebekah on the spot (she has a thing for beefy blonds apparently), and later another hunk revealed himself to Hayley as the wolf who'd been protecting her in the woods all this time. Oh, and get this: He and she were supposed to get married in an arranged marriage before his werewolf curse was reversed. So yeah. I'm guessing he's going to be a new character and he'll be complicated things in Hayley's life? Unfortunately for Rebekah, her hunk ended up being in league with the witches and she suddenly found herself attacked by werewolves out in the woods. I'm not sure I believed that Rebekah couldn't fend for herself against a couple of angry dogs, but fine. Rebekah has been captured!

Beween Klaus' takedown, Rebekah's abduction, and also Hayley's plantation house burning down, Elijah had to make a tough call. Celeste had incapacitated him with poisoned lipstick, Poison Ivy-style, leaving him with only enough strength to save Klaus, Rebekah, OR Hayley. Obviously he chose Hayley because his siblings are indestructible, but he felt plenty guilty when he couldn't save the other two as well. He arrived back at Marcel's patio nightclub and threw some chairs and vampires and raged about how the vampires needed to get their acts together. Angry Elijah is a good look on him, I have to say. I'm getting the sense that fans love to see Elijah simply stalk the shadows in dapper suits while saying pithy observations but I think it can often verge on boring. I love seeing Elijah get his hands dirty and it looks like he's really going to have to now.

Which brings us to the final, shocking moment of the episode. We were meant to believe that Papa Tunde's death caused one of the original harvested witch girls to be resurrected (thus foreshadowing that Davina will return only when the remaining evil witches are taken down). But it turns out Monique did not return an innocent. In the afterlife (or whatever), she became militant about her pro-witch ancestry, so when Sophie tried to take her out of town to avoid the conflict, Monique HEXED HER TO DEATH. That's right, not only did Sophie ostensibly die, she died in the most gruesome possible way, blood streaming from every orifice, pooling on the asphalt, and flowing into the gutter. Guys, I don't need to tell you how annoying I've always found Sophie. VERY annoying basically. Her plans were always terrible, her motivations always baffling. So yeah, I MAY have clapped when Sophie keeled over. I'm not saying she's dead forever (witch deaths, especially on this show, have become sort of meaningless and temporary), but if she is, it's the final and most powerful example of just how well this show has figured out what wasn't working initially and has changed things for the better. Few shows are born perfect, but the truly great ones fix their own mistakes early on. Consider this mistake fixed! (For now?)

I honestly had no problems whatsoever with "Crescent City." Oh, maybe this one: TWO WEEKS of reruns now? The Originals has just hexed us all!

QUESTIONS

... Is Sophie gone for good?

... What do you think Rebekah and Marcel did to Genevieve back in the day?

... Have you ever been stabbed in the heart with a self-burrowing knife?

... Who was your favorite nude hunk, the blonde or the brunette?

• Comments (288)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • nickmoose Feb 23, 2014

Anyone else think Genevieve looked way more adorable with her 20's hair?

• dimakosrou Feb 17, 2014

If Rebekah wasn't captured by some wolves, that would be a great episode. If she wasn't so dumb to understand that the cutting bodybuilder imposing a werewolf was a bait, it would be a fantastic episode. And if Sophie wasn't to appear out of thin air to stab Klaus it would be a superb episode.

PS. I found co-founder for the Bastianna Natale fan group. Officially my fav character this year. Price Peterson, let's love the witch before she goes "torsion fou, mort de l'esprit" on us. Hexing leaves a nasty tattoo, bleh! ^_^

• nickmoose Feb 23, 2014

No way! Father Kieran is the best (minor) character, I hated Agnes because she hexed Shaun-and now I hate Bastianna for hexing Kieran!

• Madelynn1984 Feb 12, 2014

This episode was amazing! And I love scary Elijah. Also all of the other Elijahs.

• nataliascurtu1 Feb 12, 2014

Can't wat! I'm gonna love watching some episodes with pissed Elijah in the center of it!

• SesseKitty Feb 12, 2014

Great episode but isn't Celeste annoying with the "choose one" crap. As Price mentioned, obviously he picked the vulnerable human (and the unborn relative) first, not to mention he didn't actually know where his siblings were at that time. That's not exactly turning your back on your family you know. Like I might be slightly pissed if my brother chose to save me before my 6yo daughter for example. The witches are so disgustingly smug anyway that I will enjoy seeing them go down one by one.

I love the gentleman Elijah but I think it's very needed to see his smooth exterior crack a bit too. He used to be really badass in the early TVD, I don't mind having that back at all.

And with show having Elijah and Klaus as their main characters certainly does not lack any eye candy. Perhaps they aren't beefcakes but I don't really miss that. But the blode hunk was better, I could sense the sparkles between him and Rebekah. The other one was handsome but basically just a whiny obstacle between Elijah and Hayley.

Sophie's death was brutal. Some people protect their relatives here and others don't. Sheesh. I didn't exactly love her either but I still felt bad.

• Panther927 Feb 08, 2014

I'm kind of speechless!! i mean never in a million years would I have thought that some witches can have the three originals in danger at the same time.This actually makes the show more interesting to watch cos they removed the whole originals are untouchable part.But still seeing klaus,elijah and rebekah in danger actually made me cringe.

• PaulAZ1133 Feb 08, 2014

Price, you are more googled than "Price per ounce of gold" which basically makes you Beyonce.

• PaulAZ1133 Feb 08, 2014

Sophie is gone, Daniella Pineda has been cast on a NBC pilot. i really LOVED this episode, one of my favorites. The backstabbing blond hunk wins over Hey-Im-Here-to-cause-problems-to-the-haylijah-ship werewolf anytime.
    I think i know what Marcel and Rebekah did to Genevieve: in the promo, Rebekah seems to be in some sort of abandoned asylum, so i think Marcel and Rebekah put her in an insane asylum to get rid of her.

• nickmoose Feb 08, 2014

I thought Genevieve looked a lot cuter in her flashback scenes than she does now. And who comes back from being dead for a hundred years, gets to be in a bar again and have a drink, and orders TEA!? Man, at least get coffee girl! Alaric new how to do it right when he came back to life, went straight to the secret booze locker!

• SesseKitty Feb 12, 2014

What? Tea is very good, some people don't even drink coffee. I doubt alcoholic drinks would be my first priority either after being dead for a hundred years and then getting a chance for revenge.

• nickmoose Feb 12, 2014

I'm pretty sure nearly everybody's first priority on both this show and TVD is alcohol. Case in point, when Kol came back from the dead and had a limited window to exact his revenge before the veil went back up for the Other side, he STILL took a minute to do a shot!

• Klaus-loves Feb 08, 2014

Let's face it, Sophie is dead. Even if she survived the witch attack she won't survive the wrath of Klaus after what she did to him. Karma love, who has ever hurt Klaus and got away with it? And yes I am incredibly biased and will stick up for him whether he deserves it or not. Can't wait for him to rip bastiana's heart out.

Trying to create this dramatic 'who will he choose?' Scene was rather silly because Hayley is so much more vulnerable. It didn't really tell us anything other than Elijah knows risk assessment!

Rebecca's could have run. End of.

It is good to have actual threats though the show needs it.

If this show tries to kill Kieran I will be so mad but I like the idea of him going a bit mental for a while. I loved when Cami handed over the blade despite her dislike for Klaus, he doesn't see evidence of people unwilling to turn on him very often. It also made her very likeable.

• nickmoose Feb 08, 2014

Who has ever hurt Klaus and got away with it? Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Tyler, Jeremy..etc. For some reason he is just very forgiving of Mystic Falls residents.
    In the case of the Salvatore brothers, I'd like to think it's because Klaus actually likes them, whether he'd admit it or not.

But Sophie is dead. The actress has already been cast on another TV show.

And I could deal with them killing anybody on the show except the big four Klaus, Elijah, Rebeka and Marcel -or Father Kieran, who has strangely become a break out character for me.
    Actually I'd also be mad if they killed Josh.

• tdm260 Feb 18, 2014

Eh, Tyler didn't actually get away with it. He lived to tell the tale, and that was only because Klaus decided he wanted Caroline more than he wanted Tyler dead. Plus, sometimes there are worse things then death, and Klaus knew that was true for Tyler. I'm fine with that.

• nickmoose Feb 21, 2014

Personally, I think that was a weak excuse to keep Tyler alive. If Tyler really wanted to die that bad he could just kill himself. Plus being dead in this reality means that you go to the other side, so whether Tyler was dead or alive, he would still just be meandering around miserably, not being able to kill Klaus. I think the truth is that Klaus still didn't want to hurt Caroline by killing him. The only fate I can think of worse than death on this show is "the Garden".

• tdm260 Mar 10, 2014

True, but suicide is considered the coward's way out, and Tyler doesn't want to say he just gave up, he wants to say he took Klaus with him or died trying. And people don't think about the Other Side like that. I don't think Klaus was even around for those descriptions so he wouldn't know that.

• See More Comments (123)