The Pick Up Artist

Show Reviews (7)

Good
7.9

"Pick Up Artist" Erik Von Markovik AKA Mystery.

By SoylentYellow, Oct 01, 2010

Where did they find this Mystery guy? I first saw clips of this on The Soup and checked to see if its as weird as pointless as it seemed.

Yep, it is. Mission - get geeks dates using some weird guy who dresses up like some kind of geeky Metrosexual. What with that fuzzy hat? He also dresses up like a World War I fighter pilot? This guy is creepy. Most of the advice he dispenses is common sense. These geeks would be better off trying out for Beauty and the Geek. How did this Erik/Mystery guy manage to get his own show? Thats the real mystery here ...moreless

The silver lining for all nerds around the globe who suffer from sexual frustration.

By ZaleIsBackAgain, Oct 01, 2010

In the beginning you have eight AFC's struggling to get off the bus with poor and giddy body language, making their way to a mansion that they hope will finally kill their virginities. AFC is an acronym within the seduction community for Average Frustrated Chump. They didn't know what to expect, what challenges awaited them, but they had hope that their fear of women will be resolved. A tall and bizarre looking man named Mystery, who'll serve as the mentor for these eight men, will guide them through the life he has lived that has taken him his entire life to learn, and condense his teachings in just eight weeks to create the master pick up artist.

I'm not a big fan of reality shows. They convey artificial interactions that are not congruent to human emotions, but they do a damn good job of character development. I've learned to stay away from them, but when I heard Mystery was hosting his own show about picking up women, it was an irresistible watch. Off topic note, but I've read many of Mystery's books and watched some of his videos, and it was difficult to grasp the concepts of his teachings. It's the complete opposite here in the Pick Up Artist; his teachings are the same, though they're much more clear to understand.

The beginning of this show started off great. I saw eight men in front of me that I related to, and saw them stumble and fall, and even cry, as they failed field tests while being eliminated. Seeing them interact with each other as they pull through their journey from AFC to PUA--Pick Up Artist--was rewarding. It was almost like watching those generic save the world cartoons about a party of people with super natural powers that are unique to each member. The Pick Up Artist created great tension in its elimination process because you didn't want to see any of them go. It was almost like watching your circle of friends break apart one by one.

As the show progressed, expectedly with Mystery as your mentor, the character developments kicked up an entire notch. Those who remained experienced their game take a major step up as their fear of approaching women dwindling down to nothing. It's just sad to see that we can't see all eight of them develop as one, but like all reality shows, there needs to be a greater purpose than what the shows theme is based upon. Seeing the guys string together a successful pick up was not only fun to watch, but it also bred food for learning for those watching. Joe D, an overweight man, was self conscious of his outlook and was stuck in his parent's basement playing World of Warcraft. Next thing you know he looks like the perfect Pick Up Artist gaming on beautiful women. Brady looked like a total nerd in the beginning, and next thing you know he's making out with an exotic dancer.

Character development was flawless, but the interactions, which made the bulk of the beginning of the show, suffered. It was much too melodramatic. Sure they were all great friends and developed a deep bond over the past weeks, but they're all men! Crying, and even holding each other's hands while they await who was eliminated, almost seemed like a stepback from manhood to me. And while I thought Pradeep was annoying, the show made too much of a scene with his little slap on Joe D, and Joe D, along with everyone else, reacted to the situation almost out of context. It just displayed to me the thing I hate the most about reality shows; artificial interactions that are not congruent to regular humanly situations.

The shows elimination process, while a bit exciting in the beginning, was part of the show I did not want to watch. They override the tension, and suspense is lost. The results of the elimination seemed pretty apparent just by having an overview of everyone's performances. The dramatic symphonic music that compliments it makes it seem like a decision if Germany should go to war with America, again. To put it in simpler terms, while the song was catchy, it was not appropriate for the situation. Something a little less violins and trumpets.

Reality shows is not my favourite genre, but they almost always have great character development and that intangible feeling of not wanting to see a person leave the group. What separates The Pick Up Artist from others of it kinds is that it teaches you invaluable methods instead of waiting to see if that guy is going to go out with that overrated looking celebrity. Not only do the contestants transform from AFC to PUA, but you're being taught all the while. Let me tell you; I much more enjoyed myself watching this show than all of those confusing videos of Mystery explaining the whole process without ever pausing for a break between sentences. Overall, The Pick Up Artist had a lot going for it, and it was a very enjoyable watch on many levels. It's too bad Spoon disgraced us all asians and quit after the first field test.moreless

A great TV Show all around yet Mystery doesn't expose all the methods for obvious reasons, yet very entertaining and aspiring to PUA's and non-PUA's alike ( http://www.puagathering.com )

By hotttness, Nov 04, 2008

I cant believe its only been like a year since I started reading up ton the game. I competely changed my appearance, I sarge all the time, im active on the internet, and yup i signed up at PUA Gathering ( http://www.puagathering.com ) if you havent checked that out yet.

For anyone just getting into, definitely check it out and read the material, the show barely exposes it for obvious reasons. Yet this a show designed to inspire AFC's into wanting to become PUA's, its worth the journey, and I love the Mystery Method show and Vh1's pickup artist, all the way. lolmoreless

This show is informative, Cutting Edge Information, Off the Wall, Ahead of It's Time, Personal Favorite etc......It just got it all.

By Sagitariusbri86, Oct 09, 2007

I say that in my summmary because as I was watching this show I was so intrigue and surprised at the same time with this show. Well because as a girl watching this you see how females reacted to the things he was telling his guys to try and these were guys who can't get a date even if Donald Trump paid them to and these things or tips were working and are very true about women and I was shocked cause at first I wasn't going to watch this show so I missed a couple of episode now I wish I would of caught the first show to see each tip he gave those guys just so I can have an advantage on the guys. So this is good for both guys and girls on the dating scene so if they come back with a new season I will catch every episode.moreless

The Geek Squad meets Hugh Hefner.

By wzychee, Aug 18, 2007

First off, I'll just say that I'm not a fan of reality shows... in the least bit. I'm the quintessential antagonist in their plot to ruin television programming as we know it with their cheaper production costs and writers that don't qualify for WGA benefits. That said, flipping through the channels, half drunk, at 1:00 in the morning, it caught my friends' eye. Half a dozen or so losers of the utmost caliber are brought into an expansive mansion, and trained to pick up the most gorgeous of women by self professed uber "Pick Up Artist" Erik Von Markovik, who travels in the community under the pseudonym Mystery.

This guy has a few books that are written by, about, or with himself, and has a series of DVDs based on seminars that he instructs on the subject of the Venutian Arts (picking up gorgeous woman). After watching the pilot, I was intrigued enough to check into some of these things to see how the show might play out. I was relived to see that he actually goes about things from a quote, scientific standpoint, end quote through the field of psychology. And the entire concept behind his theory is to get the target (beautiful woman) to unwittingly pick you up.

He incorporates this method into the show, instructing his temporary apprentices to recreate themselves with an image of sexual appeal, a curious allure, and an entire thesis worth of stories of reverse psychological warfare designed to disarm and manipulate. His apprentices are half virgins, and the other half are just terrible enough with women to almost qualify in the same category. I think it might have been a more interesting show if they had just normal guys to use this method and test it. These guys having to get up the nerve to talk to women at all puts the game back a step or two, but it's still interesting... extremely uncomfortable, and, at times, heartbreaking. The latter two in reference to the fact that these guys are put into the field on their first night to go at these beautiful women alone.

The show is interesting enough to watch, just to see how the women react to the various methods applied, how each different guy takes these methods into the field, and, of course, to see if this theory is plausible enough to turn a hardcore loser into a bona fide chick magnet. At the second episode, the fat guy is in the lead of all the potential pimps, though. So maybe this thing works after all, and we should all be at the club after each episode! It's not groundbreaking, but it's entertaining.moreless

introduction to people involved, first appearance in a bar (looks like a huge tent), critiquing

By limbodrive, Aug 07, 2007

This reality show is about training guys on how to pick up women successfully by three so called pick-up artists. I didn't count the number, but maybe eight of them came off a bus into a large house meeting the Mystery over a cell phone. The ages mostly were in the mid twenties. One guy is 45 years old and virgin. I think there were about 4 who were. The artists did explain as they viewed the greenhorns at work, what needed to be done or what was done wrong. The disclaimer did say no actors and these artists switched places and kicked but leaving the women basically with wet pants where they were.moreless