If TV.com Ran the Emmys: Our Dream Nominees for Supporting Actress in a Drama

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jun 18, 2014

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards.

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too!

Each day for the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We've already conquered the comedy categories, revealing our selections for Supporting Actress, Supporting ActorLead Actress, Lead Actor, and Comedy Series. And today we move on to the women of drama, specifically, those in the supporting category.

Editors' Note: You may notice that some of our nominees don't match up with the official Emmy ballots. That's not a mistake; we've taken a few liberties because we're only "dreaming" about the 10 "major" categories, and we didn't want to leave out deserving performers based simply on their submission strategies and our coverage plans. In come cases you may see folks from the miniseries and guest-star races in our lead and supporting wish lists.

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY ANNET MAHENDRU: Da, a thousand times da, Nina Sergeevna! Annet Mahendru is another classic case of a TV show only booking someone for a short arc—but after seeing what they bring to the role, keeping the character around for much longer than initially planned. The actress was wholly deserving of her promotion to series regular in The Americans' second season, bringing an incredibly complex character to life as Nina rose to double-agent status and cunningly played multiple cards—in multiple games—at once. Mahendru's got one hell of a poker face; yes, it's gorgeous, but it also proved to be an invaluable asset in the game of Cold War spying, as she portrayed a raw, endlessly compelling mix of human emotion and needs, cunning survival instincts, and a TCB attitude toward espionage. It'll be a true shame if this is the last we've seen of her on the show. — Jen Trolio

WHY MAE WHITMAN: If Kristina's cancer storyline was Monica Potter's crowning achievement on Parenthood, then Amber's complicated relationship with Matt Lauria's Ryan and the emotional roller coaster the couple experienced in Season 5 is what will play during Mae Whitman's highlight reel. As a young actress starring on a show that boasts one of the largest and most talented ensemble casts on TV, Whitman could easily let her elders do the heavy lifting, but she's proven on more than one occasion that she's not only capable of carrying her own weight, but that she can tackle serious and emotional storylines even better than some of her castmates. The actress showed impressive range as Amber worked through the spectrum of human feeling, from euphoria to sadness to fear and anger; she took what was written on the page and elevated it in a way that made it palpable, sometimes making viewers cry with just a tremble of her lip. It could be that Parenthood's writing is just that good, but I'm pretty sure Whitman deserves most of the credit. — Kaitlin Thomas

Who would YOU nominate for Supporting Actress in a Drama?

• Comments (49)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • capslocke Jun 26, 2014

Anna Gunn- Breaking Bad
    Melissa McBride- The Walking Dead
    Christine Baranski- The Good Wife
    Annet Mahendru- The Americans
    Kiernan Shipka- Mad Men
    Emilia Clarke- Game of Thrones

• c07111 Jun 24, 2014

Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad)
    Hayden Pannettiere (Nashville)
    Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men)
    Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones)
    Christine Baranski (The Good Wife) - I put her for lead but since she's probably in this category, I'll go with it.
    Meaghan Rath (Being Human)

• anieverdeen Jun 21, 2014

JUST NOMINEE JENNIFER CARPENTER FOR GOD' S SAKE

• hurtlocker10 Jun 25, 2014

I love her so much.

"Shit a brick and fuck me with it"
    "Thank the sweet fuck of baby jesus"
    "I would rather put a campfire out with my face"
    "Mother Fucking Suck Bag, Fucking Fuck Nugget" http://youtu.be/PZfhlBOHHYs

Sorry, too much love for Deb. One more:

"Do you really want to play the "what if" game? What if you wasn't a serial killer? What if Harry had left you in that fucking box? You know what, El Sapo's not the first person I fucking shot, Dexter and he may not be the fucking last. Anything can happen in this hellhole that is now my life. Your gift to me, Dexter."

• GirishKrishna1 Jun 24, 2014

Fatherf*****g asshats! They should have given her an Emmy already!

• tnetennba Jun 21, 2014

She should have won several times already. It's absurd that she was never even nominated, not even for the good seasons.

• kareenpierre1 Jun 21, 2014

Maisie Williams or Sophie Turner (GoT).

Maisie Williams, for her laugh.

Sophie Turner, because although I knew she was telling a lie, she fooled me. (GoT)

• ABCRobbieB Jun 20, 2014

The girls from Grimm.
    And Kenzie from Lost Girl, she's ace!

• rroth Jun 20, 2014

I doubt that Amy Acker will ever get nominated for an Emmy. I mean she wasn't even considered which is blasphemy, because her acting is top notch.
    #AnEmmyForAmyAcker

• tnetennba Jun 21, 2014

Who goes on the ballot isn't determined by the same people who vote for the nominations and the winner. She could have just told them that she wanted in (OK, maybe there's also a form to fill out or something), and she would have been on the ballot.

If she had been on it, she would have been my favorite to win it. It makes me sad that she didn't submit, or that the producers or whatever didn't submit her. I wonder if the other POI actors submitted themselves, or if someone like Jonathan Nolan did it for them.

• No1Slayerette Jun 19, 2014

I think if Anna Gunn just submits that picture the staff used in their picks she'll win.

• xanderodell Jun 18, 2014

Maisie Williams - Game Of Thrones
    Emilia Clarke - Game Of Thrones

Emily Bett Rickards - Arrow
    Alona Tal - Burn Notice
    Kim Rhodes - Supernatural
    Meaghan Rath - Being Human US

extra...
    Frances Conroy - American Horror Story

• totomomo182 Jun 18, 2014

Michelle Fairley 24

• MarlboroMagpi Jun 18, 2014

Tim watches Nashville? Ha ! And Hayden Panettiere really should be nominated for Actress not supporting Actress.

My choices would be

1) Annet Mahendru (The Americans)
    2) Bellamy Young (Scandal)
    3) Lena Headey (GoT)
    4) Christine Baranski (The Good Wife)
    5) Robin Givens (House of Cards)
    6) Olivia Munn (The Newsroom)

• Ian281099 Jun 18, 2014

Robin Givens? I think you mean Robin Wright, and she's in the Lead category.

• MarlboroMagpi Jun 19, 2014

Oops...why was I thinking of Givens? Ha !

• See More Comments (18)