If TV.com Ran the Emmys: Our Dream Nominees for Outstanding Comedy Series

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jun 17, 2014

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards.

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too!

Over the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We've already worked our way through most of the comedy categories, having revealed our selections for Supporting ActressSupporting ActorLead Actress, and Lead Actor—so all that's left to discuss before we move on to drama are the shows themselves!

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY ENLISTED: Enlisted is ridiculous. It's a show where, in any given episode, characters might recreate a stage from the Donkey Kong, square off against poo guns, or deal with a commanding officer who wants Annie Lebovitz-esque photos of himself. All of it's funny in a madcap way that could likely satisfy on most other shows, a sort of early M*A*S*H for the contemporary sitcom audience. What elevates Enlisted for me is its eagerness to tackle Army-related drama without sacrificing the humor, something that later M*A*S*H sometimes struggled with. Episodes like "Pete's Airstream" dealing with PTSD and "Vets" dealing with other repercussions of war find comedy in the grief while never diminishing the actual grief. It's a tricky balancing act, but it's one that Enlisted manages to pull off, and with real panache... sort of like its characters' ability to find a moment of victory in sweeping up horse poop. — Noel Kirkpatrick

WHY SILICON VALLEY: My response to most network comedies is a resounding "NO THANKS." Cable, which is already home to television's best dramas, has been making big strides over the last few seasons to catch up on the comedy side of the spectrum, and in short order has left broadcast sitcoms in the dust. Meanwhile, HBO has finally figured out how to do funny, and Mike Judge's Silicon Valley—to borrow an oft-used phrase from the tech world it satirizes—killed it in its first season. The show bounces between biting, smart parody of an industry that's begging to be mocked and epic dick jokes that satisfy the sophomore in all of us. Like its Sunday-night schedule partner Veep, the show tells serialized stories that we need more of in comedies, and the jokes start with an amazing cast, led by Thomas Middleditch's breakout performance. It's utterly ridiculous and incredibly funny. — Tim Surette

What shows would YOU nominate for Outstanding Comedy Series?

• Comments (68)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • capslocke Jun 26, 2014

Louie- FX
    Veep- HBO
    Orange is the New Black- Netflix
    Sillicon Valley- HBO
    Enlisted- FOX
    Parks & Rec.- NBC

• wudntulik2know Jun 21, 2014

Re-watch the David Lynch arc of Louie, if you are still an idiot and think Modern Family or BBT deserve anything. Then again, stupid is.

• No1Slayerette Jun 19, 2014

And not a single New Girl mention, it's quality dropped oh so much this season.

• No1Slayerette Jun 19, 2014

As I want OITNB to win all the awards I'm going to ignore the fact that Netflix thinks its a comedy, because it's clearly not.

• juice10148 Jun 19, 2014

Sirens
    Silicon Valley
    Episodes
    Ground Floor
    The Crazy Ones
    Enlisted

• epdochat Jun 18, 2014

The Middle
    Brooklyn Nine Nine
    Enlisted (RIP)
    Trophy Wife (RIP)
    The Big Bang Theory
    Parks and Recreation

• RamonaVenema Jun 18, 2014

Orange is the New Black
    The Mindy Project
    Parks and Rec
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    Silicon Valley
    Modern Family

I LMAO at Silicon Valley, but I'd be okay with pretty much anything off this list winning.

• dude19 Jun 18, 2014

Veep, The Mindy Project, Orange is the New Black, Parks and Recreation, Community, Inside Amy Schumer

• slipknot1485 Jun 18, 2014

Silicon Valley, Community, The Middle, East Bound & Down, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Workaholics. Also I'm throwing in there Happy Endings even though it missed the cut off date by a month.

• eliana1st Jun 18, 2014

actually the only comedy that makes me laugh for real these days is modern family,... but haters gonma hate,...

• See More Comments (31)