If TV.com Ran the Emmys: Our Dream Nominees for Supporting Actor in a Drama

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jun 19, 2014

The 2014 Emmy nominations ballots are out, which means it's time to decide whose names we'd like to hear called on Thursday, July 10 when the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences announces the shows and actors who're officially in the running for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards.

I asked some of my fellow TV.com staffers to join me in choosing our dream nominees, and after hours of internal debates and monologues that would make even Scrubs' JD tell us to shut up already, we've boldly narrowed down our picks—and as you'll see at the bottom of this page, we're prepared to defend them, too!

Each day for the next couple weeks, we'll be bringing you our highly sought-after, well-respected, and very prolific thoughts and opinions on which shows and actors should make the cut. We've already conquered the comedy categories, revealing our selections for Supporting ActressSupporting ActorLead ActressLead Actor, and Comedy Series. Yesterday, we highlighted the talented Supporting Actresses of Drama, and today we're moving on to their male counterparts, generally the toughest race of the Emmy Awards.

Editors' Note: You may notice that some of our nominees don't match up with the official Emmy ballots. That's not a mistake; we've taken a few liberties because we're only "dreaming" about the 10 "major" categories, and we didn't want to leave out deserving performers based simply on their submission strategies and our coverage plans. In some cases you may see folks from the miniseries and guest-star races in our lead and supporting wish lists.

PLEAD YOUR CASE

WHY JOSH CHARLES: Knowing that Josh Charles was leaving the show, the writers and producers of The Good Wife crafted a hell of a swan song for him (and for the character of Will Gardner), a capstone to a five-year performance that has somehow only netted him one Emmy nomination to date. Throughout Season 5, Charles dug deep into Will, finding intense vulnerability and anger (hello "Decision Tree"!) in Will's hurt and rage at Alicia's defection, while never making him seem like the bad guy. While the Emmy is technically only awarded for an actor's performance in a single episode, a win here would feel like well-deserved recognition for those five years of soulful eyes, cockiness without annoying arrogance, and the deadpan humor Charles would break at just the right second by unleashing a rakish smirk. — Noel Kirkpatrick

WHY DYLAN O'BRIEN: When Teen Wolf called for a darker version of Stiles Stilinski in Season 3B, Dylan O'Brien fearlessly rose to the occasion, having already quietly usurped the position of series lead from his co-star Tyler Posey with his fan-favorite performance. Stiles is a character who's known for his sarcasm, wit, and humor, and most people don't think of him as a dramatic figure, but O'Brien's work as the character dealt with some issues showcased his range as an actor, pointedly drawing our attention to the fact that his talents go way beyond perfectly delivered quips and sarcastic remarks. No longer just a sidekick, O'Brien seamlessly oscillated between the spastic but lovable Stiles, a character who couldn't sit still if his life depended on it, and the subtler and more calculated movements of the evil nogitsune who took his form. He carried much of the weight in Teen Wolf's third season, and it'd be a shame for the Emmys to ignore his performance simply because he stars on a supernatural drama on MTV. — Kaitlin Thomas

Who would YOU nominate for Supporting Actor in a Drama?

• Comments (54)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • c07111 Jun 24, 2014

Jeffrey Wright (Boardwalk Empire)
    Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
    Peter Dinklage (GoT)
    Johnny Ray Gill (Rectify)
    Michael K. Williams (Broadwalk Empire)
    Dylan O' Brien (Teen Wolf)

• joejak Jun 24, 2014

I like the recognition of Michael Kelly. But all in all, I'd say that Peter Dinklage or Dean Norris deserve it. Peter for the amazing work he did in the latter half of this season. Dean because he managed to steal a few scenes from Bryan Cranston which is a huge feat.

• hockeyrick Jun 22, 2014

Paul, period!

• kareenpierre1 Jun 21, 2014

Tough choices here. I think either Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones), Walton Goggins (Justified) or Luke Mitchell (The Tomorrow People).

Why those last two ? Even though I didn't like Justified's last season and I thought The Tomorrow People pretty much ran itself into a wall, I think those two actors were still really entertaining to watch. For a teen show, Luke Mitchell was really good at playing a guy marred with many moral qualms (unlike TVP or PLL stars). It's too bad that the writing of that particular show wasn't up to par with his talented interpretation of the role.

• totomomo182 Jun 20, 2014

Peter Dinklegh should win every time is on screen he is astonding

• hedirebellion Jun 19, 2014

i can only think about one person: MADS MIKKELSEN?! DUH [if you consider him as supporting actor of course]

• thekaitling Jun 19, 2014

He submitted himself as a lead!

• missjudgment Jun 19, 2014

Josh Charles! Pedro Pascal! Luke Mitchell!
    All of them so good. Nice choices.

• MarlboroMagpi Jun 19, 2014

Josh Charles should really get nominated at least and recognized for the good job he done for 5 years.

• Josh Charles (TGW)
    • Peter Dinklage (GoT)
    • Michael K Williams (Boardwalk Empire)
    • Dean Norris (Breaking Bad)
    • Walton Goggins (Justified)
    • Michael Kelly (House of Cards)
    • Joseph Sikora (POWER)

• KayWatkins Jun 19, 2014

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Tim Surette's list too! I don't always see eye to eye with his reviews but we can agree here:-)

• Whedonrules Jun 19, 2014

Lets see???

1. Blake Ritson - 'DaVinci's Demons' - (Girolamo Riario) - I could probably watch him and Tom Riley (Leonardo DaVincii) play checkers together and it would be awesome.
    2. Torrence Coombs - 'Reign' - (Sebastian 'Bash' DePoitiers)
    3. Matthew Lillard - 'The Bridge' - (Daniel Frye) For the problems that 'The Bridge' had throughout its first season run what always stood out as the best part was the work done by Lillard in the great part he got to inhabit. Best work I've ever seen from him.
    4. Seth Gable - 'Salem' - (Cotton Mather) - Again, this is the best work in the best role Seth Gable has ever been given. Poor Mariana....
    5. John Slattery - 'Mad Men' - (Roger Sterling) As 'Mad Men' jumped back to first season excellence Slattery's 'Roger' has been given a lot to do and has been his usual excellent self in each performance.
    6. Ron Perlman - 'Sons of Anarchy' - (Clarence 'Clay' Morrow)
    There are too many great ones -

If they could pick 7 = 7. Zach McGowan - 'Black Sails' - (Captain Charles Vane) Who would have thought 'Jodi' - (Shameless) would be the best pirate!?!?

Best Supporting Actor in a Show that is otherwise a complete mess: James Purefoy - 'The Following' - Joe 'The Beard' Carroll

HM: Manu Bennett - 'Arrow' - (Slade Wilson/Deathstroke) - As 'Arrow' moved past its first season to become appointment television in its second - it was due largely in part because of Manu Bennett and his great performance in ill-fitting suits, Noah Emmerich - 'The Americans' - Stan Beeman, Hoon Lee - 'Banshee' - Job, take your pick from 'Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage ('Tyrion Lannister'), Charles Dance ('Tywin Lannister), and of course Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister) (Rory McCann did not submit his name but how great was Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane this season?) too tough to pick one because they were all phenomenally good this season, Bailey Chase - 'Longmire' - 'Branch Connally' Last season through this season Chase (my lone Whedonverse submission this year) has done a superb job. Branch has had a great story and Bailey Chase has been fun to watch. And finally Jon Voight - 'Ray Donovan' (Mickey Donovan) He hasn't had a role this good on TV since his days on '24'

• See More Comments (25)