Seth Meyers Will Host the 2014 Primetime Emmy Awards

By TV.com Staff

Apr 25, 2014

Seth Meyers used to be some guy who did sorta-fake news once a week on a late-night Saturday show. But look at him now! He's the host of his own late-night talk show right behind Jimmy Fallon, and today NBC named him the host of the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards.

The Emmys won't be Meyers' first time hosting an awards show. He helmed back-to-back ESPY Awards—ESPN's trophies for jocks—in 2010 and 2011. 

Meyers follows Neil Patrick Harris, who hosted the Emmys for CBS last year, and prior to that it was Jimmy Kimmel (2012), Jane Lynch (2011), Jimmy Fallon (2010), Neil Patrick Harris (again; 2009), and the travesty that was all those reality show hosts sharing the responsibility (2008). 

The 2014 Emmys will be broadcast on Monday, August 25 at 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific on NBC. 

How do you think Meyers will do as a host?

• Comments (31)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • rishabhpb Apr 27, 2014

SO much negativity. It is the internet after all. The host has very little responsibility for the Emmys, all he really needs is a good monologue. And guess what, that's his biggest strength if you've seen him host the ESPYs. He also contributed to Tina and Amy's Golden Globes material.

• Jamescush Apr 26, 2014

Did the Emmys lose a bet or something?

• marls_luj Apr 25, 2014

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler should host everything

• JT_Kirk Apr 25, 2014

Badly, he's going to do badly. But there's enough money behind him that he won't fail, it won't be James Franco at the Oscars level. He'll be awkward and loud and a little clumsy and mean. The biggest issue will be a low energy level and little response from the room.

• kevekev302 Apr 25, 2014

Really?? You're going to host the Emmys? Really??

• ben45tpy Apr 25, 2014

Carl from Aqua Teen would be a much better choice.

• danield222 Apr 25, 2014

I like this guy, Weekend Update was my favourite until he left then I started watching his show from the beginning, it was bumpy at first, but it's getting better and better.

He's a far better interviewer than Conan or Fallon, his monologues are the same level as Fallon's and Conan has better Skits, mainly because of his remotes, game reviews and Andy Richter.

Overall i like his show the most, because I watch these shows for the interviews. We don't have Fallon's over the top persona or Conan's awkward "I-don't-know what-I'm-talking-about-so-I-look-down-and-read-slowly-from-my-cards" situations.

• radrobd Apr 25, 2014

Meh.

• tamaabi Apr 25, 2014

NPH is a pretty hard act to follow. But hey, it can't be worse than Seth MacFarlane's Oscars...!

• JT_Kirk Apr 25, 2014

Tell that to James Franco and Anne Hathaway.

• FriendsSherlock Apr 25, 2014

I think he'll be great. But it's gonna be hard following NPH. NPH is like a god when it comes to hosting awards shows.

• FamilyDutyHonor Apr 25, 2014

Ehh...

• See More Comments (5)