The Ruff & Reddy Show

Show Reviews (4)

Fair
6.7

Get Set, Get Reddy Here Ruff And Reddy!

By TomAmos, Apr 01, 2013

This was Hanna-Barbera first TV cartoon and was a good show. The show about a cat named Ruff and a dog named Reddy as they go wacky adventure. Ruff and Reddy only lasted 3 minutes per episode so its easy to watch a whole season. Sadly Ruff and Reddy is NOT on DVD and does not air or Boomerang but you find a lot of seasons on YouTube what are you waiting for GO WATCH!

Hanna-Barbera's first show is still memorable to us baby-boomers.

By Uncatoon, Jan 23, 2007

By the standards of animation in 1957 and the standards that animation buffs expect, "Ruff & Reddy" was pure cheese. They were not aware that Hanna-Barbera made the cartoons like this not because they wanted to but because they had to. After much finnagling with NBC, they were only able to get $2700 per half hour, and that's why the show came out the way it did.

But two years before Rocky & Bullwinkle, "Ruff & Reddy" helped standardize the serialized stories pioneered in 1949 by Alex Anderson and Jay Ward with "Crusader Rabbit." Again, chemistry is formed by two animal characters who by nature should be mortal enemies: Ruff, the cute, smart kitten; and Reddy, the noble, dimwitted dog. This being Saturday morning, Hanna-Barbera's stories for "Ruff & Reddy" eschewed satire and any political undertones, so they wouldn't talk over the kids' heads but at the same time didn't talk down to them. The staging H-B would apply to later shows like Huckleberry Hound would not be present, but when you're hooked on the storylines, it's irrelevent.

It's a pity H-B wouldn't revive their debut stars like they did Yogi Bear, the Flintstones and Scooby Doo, although they did appear in "Yogi's Ark Lark" (1972) and Ruff had a cameo in a 1986 episode of "Yogi's Treasure Hunt." But given how the newer versions of Yogi, Fred and Scooby have hideously evolved into something no longer resembling what they were, it's just as well. While critics may beef about the production values, "Ruff & Reddy" looked like Disney compared to the show that replaced it on NBC in 1960, "King Leonardo & His Short Subjects." Those of us who tuned in to Ruff and Reddy in the late 50s and still recall it take them whenever and wherever we can get them.moreless

an memorable television series

By GeorgeJobson, Oct 16, 2006

I can clearly remember "Ruff and Ready" while watching the series as a kid. I watch them every chance I get. I watch them get into sticky situation and get back out of them again. I was made by hanna-Barbara and it was the very first television series and the other day, I was reading back issues of TV guide, and I found that "Ruff and Ready" aired on Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. way back in 1958. I saw the series 10 years later when I was l little kid. I had fun with the series. I wish they come back so I can see them again.moreless