Bart the Genius

Episode Reviews (64)

Great

Great episode

By fsaenz0125, Aug 24, 2014

Bart is mistakenly placed in a school for "gifted children" after he cheats on an intelligence test at school. I thought this was a great episode of the Simpsons. Since it's the first episode to have the well-known opening, you'll noticed how different it is. It was only used in this season. The animation and the art looks terrible, but thankfully it'll get better later on. I understand people not considering this as their favorite season due to the show barely starting. The characters, especially Homer, noticeably the off-model scenes, looks different, as well as their voices. Well, the episode is not my favorite and there are a couple problems. The main problem was that it was pretty lackluster for some of the parts. Also, that scene when the Simpsons were in the opera was pretty annoying. Everyone but Marge was laughing at something and it was getting dragged after a while. There are only a few moments I laughed here, like Bart defining the word "kwyjibo" in which he describes it as Homer, Bart visualizing the test, Bart and Martin making Faces, all of the off model throughout the episode, Bart singing the opera, Homer chasing Bart naked because Bart cheated in the test. The two funniest scenes are the first and last I listed. I think that part where Bart made a word "kwjibo" was very funny as he use it to describe Homer, who chases him. He would do the same reason at the end and that was LOL funny. All in all, not the greatest Simpsons episode due to its heavy off model and horrible animation, but it's great.

Score 8/10moreless

Oh, the Bart we loved!

By SLionsCricket, Oct 08, 2012

Still not all that funny, this episode however was very well made. This is the mischievous Bart we loved, not a man who has turned into a criminal as of Season 20. I mean, in that "Beware my Cheating Bart" episode, I heard he dates this old woman or something. I mean WTF!?! This is the Bart we loved and I love this episode. Though, I don't believe this episode is somewhat rewatchable.

Superb

By jmbsonic555, Oct 17, 2011

The episode begins as the Simpson family plays Scrabble, in the living room, in an effort to build Bart's vocabulary for his aptitude test tomorrow at school. The game ends when Bart cheats and makes up an imaginary word, "Kwyjibo," and defines it as, "A big, dumb, balding, North American ape with no chin." Homer is instantly angered and chases Bart out of the room. The next day before class, in the schoolyard, Martin Prince, the school genius, tattles on Bart, for spray painting graffiti that defames Principal Skinner on the school building. Skinner orders Bart to see him after school. As the children file into class, Mrs. Krabappel hands out aptitude tests to everyone. When she instructs the class on taking the timed intelligence test, Martin raises his hand, and reminds her that Bart is supposed to face the window during any test so he can't cheat. A grumbling Bart turns his desk to face the window and the test begins. In an attempt to figure out a lengthy math word problem, Bart tries to visualize the problem so he can solve it. The visualization turns into a daydream and when Bart finally comes back to reality, Martin announces that he has finished his test already. Mrs. Krabappel sends Martin outside to read a book, during the remainder of the testing period. While Bart is still taking his test, he looks out the window to see a smug Martin sticking his tongue out at him. In retaliation, Bart makes faces back at Martin; Mrs. Krabappel spots Bart making faces and looks out the window to see what Bart is looking at. While her back is turned, Bart, who is seated at the front of the class, reaches over to Mrs. Krabappel's desk and steals Martin's test, replaces Martin's name with his own and then puts the test back on her desk. Bart then quickly fills out random answers on his own test and then writes Martin's name at the top and turns it in.Later, after school, Marge and Homer are called to Principal Skinner's office for a meeting about Bart's behavior at school. Skinner informs Marge and Homer about Bart's graffiti from earlier that morning. As he reaches for Bart's rather extensive permanent record, and is about to suggest something along the lines of expulsion for Bart, his secretary buzzes in and says that Dr. J. Loren Pryor, the school psychiatrist is waiting to see him. Dr. Pryor walks in on the meeting, and surprises everyone when he tells them that Bart is a "gifted child," and according to the aptitude test from earlier, Bart has an I.Q. of 216. Dr. Pryor suggests that Bart's history of bad behavior stems from a lack of interest in his school work, due to the fact that it is too easy for him. Skinner wants Bart retested, but when Dr. Pryor suggests moving Bart to a school for "gifted children" Skinner jumps on board with the idea, and Bart quickly agrees when he hears that the school doesn't have much structure and that you get to make your own rules. Dr. Pryor hands Bart some paperwork for the "gifted children" school, and he, Homer and Marge leave the meeting stunned.

9 out of 10moreless

Second Episode.

By fenway98, Aug 10, 2010

This episode begins with the family playing scrabble to prepare Bart for his quiz. Bart plays the work Kwyjibo, which he describes as a fat, balding, North american ape(with 2 chins)

On the day of the quiz, Bart switches his test with Martin prince's, the smartest kid in the class. Homer and Marge get called to the school, when The Principal sees Bart's "score" on the test. Bart is soon sent to a school for gifted children. He dosn't fit in there, seeing that he's not actually a genius. He finally tells Homer this, and he chases hin through the face.

This was pretty good, considering that it's only the second episode. But there were still a few funny bits, like the opera scene, and Homer's messy handwriting.

Overall Grade:75%/C+moreless

Bart cheats on his achievement test and he is deemed a genius.

By Hornets3, Jun 25, 2010

Facing the prospect of flunking an intelligence exam, Bart changes the name on Martin's test to his name. The school psychologist advises Homer and Marge that Bart has a very high level of intelligence, calling him a genius, even. Bart is enrolled at a new school for smart kids, where Bart feels out of place with the other students. When his Science project explodes, nearly destroying the school, he admits to the psychologist about his scam. As you would imagine, Homer is furious and chases him around the house.

This is a very underrated episode. I found the plot to be nice and the jokes were funny. I always loved this episode and even tho its in season 1 I find it enjoyable to watch.moreless

the switch of the tests

By cube2k8, May 04, 2010

bart switches test with marten and gets a huge iq and goes from being stupid to being put in with the highly intellegent. but bart does not fit in because he is really not as smart as them and is used to goofen off and pulling pranks on people.so when he tells homer what he did homer chaces him around the house and lisa says bart is stupid again. i think it was a good ep and was the start of something good for the simpsons and it was only second ep of the show and it still drew in alot of viewersmoreless

Bart? A Genius? Wha-?

By futuramarama, Nov 04, 2009

Bart cheats on an intelligence test {switching it off brainy Martin Prince} and is mistaken for a genius who is "bored of ordinary school." So he goes to a genius school where the other kids can tell he isn't smart and take advantage of him. He tries to tell Homer this. In the end he does and he is chased through the house by a very angry Homer. Things go back to normal.

A pretty strong offering with a good plot. It had some funny moments and some really nice introduction to some more characters who weren't in the pilot.moreless

Bart switches test's with Martin Prince, and gets an IQ of 216. Bart Gets sent to gifted school, but struggles deeply. He owns up to Homer, but Homer gets mad and chases Bart. Lisa says the line to marge as they observe "I think Bart's stupid again."

By MrPlow123, Nov 02, 2009

The second episode of The Simpsons, I think it was another classic. This Episodes alot of new characters, and shows the true coulours of some. Bart isn't the smartest, Martin is. Homer seems to be angry in earlier episodes, as he shows alot of rage towards Bart in this one. This episode wasn't the best, but it did deliver. It was enjoyable to watch, slightly more funny than the first one, but maybe the story wasn't as enjoyable. Then again, I'm quite happy watching this one at home, This was Jon vittis favourite episode he wrote from an interview in 1991.moreless

A funny episode delving deeper inside Barts mind.

By robbiebrack, Sep 06, 2008

This is one of my favourite episodes ever. I love how easily Bart can change his report card and Martin isnt so geeky. I used to sit and watch the train question for ages in slow motion and I said to my self DAMN am I ever goin to answer this question. This is also delving deeper into Barts mind and his actions. I love the theatre scene where Homer Bart and suprisingly Lisa are messing around. The ending is a classic where it ends with Homer and Bart having a father son chat and then Homer becoming furious with Bart for cheating.moreless

Shows Bart's Personality.

By Gibson3445, Aug 06, 2008

Bart is treated like a genius after switching his paper with Maritn Prince on itelligence test. He is sent to a different school where the kids use their intelligence to make fun of him. Marge tries to nutures his mind by taking him to events like opera. At the end they relize he isnt a genius but isnt so dumb ethier.It shows how bart acts and is treated at home and at school. This isnt a funny episode at all but has a good plot. It is mostly a character devlopment episode. It is an average classic episode I give it a 7.0 .moreless

Load More Reviews