The Simpsons "Brick Like Me" Review: Different on the Outside, Same on the Inside

By Tim Surette

May 05, 2014

The Simpsons S25E20: "Brick Like Me"

Even though we don't regularly review The Simpsons here on TV.com, I wanted to put together some quick thoughts on "Brick Like Me," the animated comedy's extra special Lego episode—and its 550th, too. The result of a couple years—years—of planning, it wasted no time in addressing the union of two colossal brands: "It's not selling out, it's co-branding! Co-branding!" Homer said as he awoke from a dream in the first moments of the episode. And he was right: "Brick Like Me" was as pleasant as any combination of two multi-billion-dollar brands could be, even though it was essentially just gorgeous window dressing installed over a typical episode of The Simpsons

In fact, the Lego portions of the episode looked so great that it it barely bothered me when the story either didn't make a lot of sense or was shoehorned into making just enough sense that Legos could fit into the world of The Simpsons. Even Plastic Comic Book Guy said that the plot of Homer creating an alternate universe in his head so that Homer and Lisa could play together forever was "second-rate science-fiction." I mean, by the time Bart came out in his twisted mech suit and barfed out lightsabers, "Brick Like Me" was just a grab bag of random pieces coming together in an effort to form something bigger—kind of like the handiwork of a kid who showed up late to a Lego party and didn't get his pick of the pieces so he built whatever he could from odds and ends.

But visually, "Brick Like Me" was a stunner, rebuilding Springfield in bright, brick-by-brick 3D, and that's what the episode will forever be known for. What did you think of it?

LEFTOVER PIECES

– I haven't seen The Lego Movie yet. How many references to that did I miss?

– Ugh, Super Nintendo Chalmers and Lunch Lady Doris making out in the broom closet? Legos are ruined forever!

– Ralph: "Yo soy language lab!"

– Ha, Homer called ninjas "pajama guys." 

• Comments (44)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • MajLorne May 09, 2014

I haven't watched the simpsons as much over the past few years, but i like the lego toys and tuned in for that. Visually great, storyline was ok, but not that bad. I enjoyed it. I too have yet to see the lego movie.

• meathead704 May 05, 2014

It was not the best episode of The Simpsons I have ever seen, but I did enjoy it and thought it was very entertaining. My favorite part of the episode was the terrific parodies of The Hunger Games.

• JT_Kirk May 05, 2014

This was cute, but it felt hamstrung by a simple story that couldn't be as edgy as it wanted to be.

I had a difficult time getting past the choppiness of the stop-motion and pseudo-stop-motion animation. This did not look as good as The LEGO Movie, but I've seen fan stuff and other projects that look better. I'm not sure using as many real bricks as possible was a great call either, the LEGO Star Wars CGI specials "The Padawan Menace" and beyond look better, are written by a Simpsons writer so they're funnier too.

So, not terrible, not brilliant.

• sleepy-sonic May 05, 2014

Visually the episode was great and the story was so-so for me but as a whole I liked it.

• No1Slayerette May 05, 2014

I'm a huge Lego fan, so I was always going to love this more than most, but I have to agree with you though, Tim, the episode looked great, but other than that, it wasn't anything spectacular.

I don't mean to spoil anything, but the plot of this episode was quite similar to The Lego Movie, and it was handled a lot better in the film (which is completely understandable because of the runtime and The Simpsons having to work around a pre-existing world instead of oresenting an entirely new one like in the film).

• antdude May 05, 2014

It was OK. Some of the animations were nice, but choppy. Maybe the animators ran out of $$$ and/or time? :/ This episode reminded me of that 3D rendered episode/skit. Also, too many LEGO videos today for me since I watched Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles episodes.

• ben45tpy May 05, 2014

I just can't watch The Simpsons anymore. Not even when they do a shameless product placement-a-thon that may or may not be better than average.

• StrawDog May 05, 2014

Tim, what are you doing with your life that you haven't seen The Lego Movie?

• dodge_hickey May 05, 2014

Maybe he doesn't like it when everything is awesome!

• antdude May 05, 2014

What about me? I haven't seen it too! :P

• Raccoon1459 May 05, 2014

Me neither. I feel like I'm missing something special.

• antdude May 06, 2014

LEGO movie looks better from its trailers than this Simpsons episode IMO.

• jcox349 May 05, 2014

loved the shot of the moon right above the house.

• fr0zen2003 May 05, 2014

The ending scene almost spoils the Lego Movie's twist ending (you can even see the two main characters from the movie passing by in the background). Aside from common themes, that's the only direct reference I caught from the movie.

But yeah, overall, it was an amazing episode!

• RickyShorter May 05, 2014

Doesn't your post here pretty much seal the deal on that spoiler?
    I mean, I already knew, because spoilers have become so prevalent - see the social media accounts of pretty much any actor/show and they will reveal spoilers as soon the episode/film airs in the US, as if the rest of the world doesn't exist - that it's hard NOT to see them, but at least they didn't come right out and say the name of the movie

• fr0zen2003 May 07, 2014

It's a Simpsons episode... With Legos in it... And with giant replicas of the main protagonists of said movie passing by in the background... Are you serious?!

• See More Comments (4)