Homer's Odyssey

Episode Reviews (48)

Good
7.7

This episode's plot is freaking lame, but Moaning Lisa is a tad lamer than this.

By fsaenz0125, Aug 24, 2014

Well, like everyone else, this wasn't my favorite episode. Most of them had the exact same opinion and they thought it was okay. I don't think it's my least favorite episode of the season, since there's 2 episodes I rated 5 points lower. The plot is very lame due to Homer wanting to kill himself since he got fired at his job. I don't feel like giving this episode a 4-6 though, so a 6.5 would be good enough. It's underrated, but I understand that it's not the best. The plot for this episode is the biggest flaw, but I got two other flaws as well. It was boring and lackluster like the previous episode in some parts. Also, I didn't like the scene when Sherri and Terri (the twins) forces Bart to do something as well as teasing him. Homer was pretty out of character when he tried to kill himself. Nevertheless, there are still good scenes in this episode like Bart singing at the bus, the chemical rod video, Homer crashing in a radioactive pipe, Bart prank calling Moe, Marge on tricycle, the newspaper of Homer adding stop sign (especially the last one), Homer's speech (funny), and Mr. Burns giving Homer his job back (heartwarming), and Homer falling from the building (funny). So, in conclusion, I would rate it close the middle. It was an okay episode with a meh plot.

Score 6.5/10moreless

Lame episode

By sebibellas, Aug 05, 2013

Of all the season 1 episodes, this ranks as one of the worst simpsons episodes right next to Saddlesore Galatica.

Homer loses his job, and decides to waste his life, but goes political afterwards to complain about safety. Nothing else pretty much happens. That and Smithers wasn't colored correctly.

This is one of the worst episodes of the show. But it's still much more tolerable than newer Family Guy or Simpsons episodes.

Lame episode

By copper20, Apr 26, 2013

Boring episode. that's coming from a massive SImpsons fan

By SLionsCricket, Oct 08, 2012

As Homer is fired, he tries to find the meaning of his life. The first 5 minutes or so of this episode was good but as soon as Homer got fired, things went downhill. And I mean it. It became dull and felt far too emotional. This episode probably was the worst from Season 1.

A little too emotional.

By jmbsonic555, Oct 17, 2011

The episode begins in front of Springfield Elementary, as Mrs. Krabappel rounds up her class, including Bart, and prepares them for a field trip to the nuclear power plant. Otto, the bus driver, pulls up to the curb, and Bart chats with him outside of the bus, as the other kids find their seats. Mrs. Krabappel yells at Bart to get on the bus. When he scurries to find a seat, he is bummed to see the only one left is right next to Wendell, who is always queasy and pukes on every bus ride. As Otto takes the long way to the power plant, Bart struggles to behave on the bus ride. Mrs. Krabappel warns Bart that one more outburst will result in him singing to the class in the front of the bus. Sherri and Terri, who are sitting behind Bart, decide to get him in some more trouble. At the same time, they both kiss Bart on the cheek, causing him to yell out. Mrs. Krabappel makes good on her threat and forces Bart to sing in front of the class. The bus finally arrives at the power plant, and Bart congratulates Wendell for making the whole bus ride without puking, by slapping him on the back, which results in Wendell vomiting anyway.

Overall, a very emotional episode, but an okay/decent one.

7.5 out of 10moreless

Not bad... not good

By futuramarama, Aug 18, 2011

This is probably the first truly bad episode of the show. It had a nice opening act with Bart and the 4th grade class visiting the Springfield Nuclear Plant. But Bart waves to Homer, and Homer causes some danger, and is fired. Homer tries to kill himself later. I don't remember much else of the plot, i was really bored. IT wasn't that funny, and Homer trying to kill himself wasn't great. He eventually becomes the new safety technician at sector 7-G.

Season 1's worst, by far, in my opinion. It barely had any funny moments and was just dullmoreless

Not the best eppie.

By fenway98, Feb 20, 2011

During a field trip to The Nuclear Power Plant(for Bart's school), Homer gets fired for fooling around and showing off in front of the kids. Homer tries to commit suicide, but luckily, The family saves him. Homer starts doing things around town, like cleaning up the town, doing community service and stuff like that. After Mr. Burns and the plant see what great work Homer has done, he re hires him.

This was an okay episode. There weren't many great parts or evn many jokes for the matter, but it wasn't terrible. In fact, I liked the begginning with Wendell on the bus.

Overall Grade: 70%/Cmoreless

Homer's Odyssey: Homer gets fired which later drives him to kill himself s

By Sabrespongebob, Feb 20, 2011

Homer's Odyssey Let me start off by saying that the episode is not bad it's just that I find it very boring. The plot worked very well but the execution was poorly done and the jokes were few (If any) It was so unmemorable that I actually forgot the plot of it while writing this. Anyway the ending didn't help it felt very tacked on and the suicide bit were stupid. But still they were still working hard on a 20 minute episode format so we can't really blame them can we?

Score for Homer's Odyssey: C+, 3/5, 6.5/10, Adequatemoreless

homer gets fired goes tries to kill himself and get rehired

By cube2k8, Feb 20, 2011

in this ep homer gets fired from the powerplant he feels sad and tries to kill himself his family comes to him and they tell him they love him. and he gets better and goes and starts to clean up the town and help the people during that time the plant decides to hire homer and he gets rehired again. this to me was good ep becasue it was still in the simpsons glory days and it still drew in the millions of people that watched the show so i think this was a really good ep and i gave it a 9 for these reasons.moreless

Beer...now there's a temporary solution.

By zzyzxxopferna, Feb 20, 2011

Springfield Elementary is on a field trip to Springfield Nuclear Power Plant, Homer's workplace. Mrs. Krabappel warns Bart to behave and not make this trip a repeat of their trip to the state prison. Otto shows up late and drives the kids to the plant. Bart has to sit next to Wendell, who throws up on every bus ride. He gets in trouble on the bus ride and Mrs. Krabappel makes him sing "John Henry Was A Steel Driving Man". When they arrive at SNPP, Smithers shows the class a very cheesy old-timey film about nuclear energy, then takes them on a tour of the plant. Homer knows the kids are at the plant and drives off in his cart to go see the kids. When Bart sees Homer and waves to him, Homer waves to him, only to crash into a pipe. He is immediately fired. Homer doesn't think he can find another job, but Bart and Lisa encourage him to start looking. However, no one wants to hire Homer. Frustrated, he goes to Moe's Tavern to drown his sorrows with alcohol, but he has no money for the beer and Moe won't run a tab for Homer because he doesn't think Homer will ever get another job. That night, Marge decides to go get her old job back as a waitress at a burger joint so that there will be money coming in. Depressed, Homer lies on his couch, not moving, while Bart gets him to sign his very poor report card. Homer sees a commercial for Duff Beer and decides that beer can get him through his unemployment, but he finds no beer in the fridge. He decides to break open Bart's piggy bank for beer money, but when he does it, he realizes he hates what he's becoming. He decides to kill himself. He leaves a suicide note, takes a big boulder and ties it around his waist, and heads off to a bridge to go jump off of. However, Marge and the kids discover Homer's suicide note and rush out to save Homer. They find him at the bridge just as he is about to jump. As they rush over to stop him, they are almost hit by a speeding car and Homer barely saves them in time. Homer realizes he cares about public safety and vows to have a stop sign put up at the bridge. He lobbies for it at City Hall, and they agree to put the stop sign in. Homer decides that he's not going to stop at the stop sign and decides he will be a safety crusader. Soon, signs are everywhere thanks to Homer and Homer has a huge rallying behind him. However, he has to take on his biggest challenge yet: His old employers, Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. Homer holds a protest outside the plant lobbying for the plant to be shut down. Mr. Burns watches this from his office up above and orders Smithers to bring Homer to his office. When Homer steps into Burns's office, he offers Homer a new job as the plant's safety inspector. Homer agrees to take the job, but his first duty is to step outside and tell everyone the plant is safe. Homer has trouble doing this, but Burns convinces him he has made the right decision. Homer tells everybody he can no longer be their safety crusader, but they don't need to worry as he will be the plant's new safety inspector. Everybody cheers Homer.

This episode introduces Otto, Sherri and Terri, Wendell, Jasper, the Winfields, Chief Wiggum, and properly introduces Waylon Smithers and Mr. Burns. We also to get to see the first Duff Beer commercial and Bart's first prank call to Moe (I. P. Freely) in the series. Mr. Burns here is voiced by a different voice actor than normal (the late Christopher Collins, instead of Harry Shearer). Homer in this episode is quite out of character (Homer attempting to commit suicide?! The Homer Simpson we know and love would never do that) and he seems more responsible than normal. This is forgiveable as it is one of the first episodes and they hadn't fully developed the characters yet. Overall this is a good episode. The only problems I had with it was that it was a bit lacking in humor (it still had a good storyline), Smithers was black in this episode (an animation error), and Homer's suicide attempt (which wasn't that funny).moreless

Load More Reviews