Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire

Episode Reviews (129)

Great

The beginning of the Simpsons

By VNB911, Dec 15, 2013

Love this episode. Homer goes to the dog track race and bets on Santa's Little Helper who ends up losing. Santa's Little Helper joins his family and turned about Christmas for Homer's family at the end.

Great Unintentional Introduction!

By AndrewOchwat, Jun 24, 2013

I say "unintentional" in that this season's finale, "Some Enchanted Evening" was originally set to be the primere episode, as it supposedly introduced all the characters well. Now, I haven't seen that episode in a long while, but I would still say that this does a better job than that would, as it not only introduces the four main characters in a way that we get a good glimpse of their future personalities, but also many other characters seen later in the show's run, such as Principal Skinner, Barney Gumble, Milhouse, Mr. Burns, etc.

The story itself is great, kind of a blueprint for other Simpson episodes to come, in that it shows the much used "cause and effect" story used often in the series (in which something completely different eventually leads to the main problem of the Since this was the eight episode actually produced, the animation and vocal work is of great quality for this time in the series.

All in all, a great introduction to a great show, a hint at what is to come.moreless

Great Way to start of a Great Series

By TheCjm1999, Jan 17, 2013

Oh Yes, the very first episode which premiered all the way back in 1989. I do like this episode because most of the family is introduced to there current personalities for what they are known for. All except for Homer, but it is the first episode.

Very very very touching pilot to the BEST SHOW EVER!

By SLionsCricket, Oct 08, 2012

Sure, the animations may not be great and the voice overs weren't the best right now, but I found the pilot to the Simpsons very touching and a perfect Christmas episode. It had comedy and it showed the nicer side of Homer, with him making sacrifices for his family. This episode may not have been funny, and sure, Season 1 didn't really make me laugh, but I found this episode very well done. The Year of 1989 changed TV history!

The first Simpsons episode happens to be a Christmas episode. Either way, it's a great start to my favorite animated series

By tigerdude22, May 01, 2012

It is up to Homer to save Christmas, when bonuses are cut at the nuclear power plant and Marge is forced to use the Christmas savings on an emergency. Wow!!! I can't believe it... December 17th, 1989 is the first Simpsons episode to be ever aired and it also happens to be a Christmas episode. It's kinda weird to have a pilot episode for a show be a Christmas episode but I really didn't care though, I really liked this pilot episode. I haven't seen this episode in 5 years though... it has been so long. FOX really needs to re-run Simpsoms more often and NOT just re-run one Simpsons episode a day. Since there are so many freakin' Simpsons episode, other stations should re-run them. Anyways, I saw this pilot episode (or first Christmas episode) for the first time in 5 years and I really enjoyed it. The animation, which you all can obviously tell, is much older than the animation right now. The animation for the very old seasons are still good to watch... it does get kinda tiring to see old animation after a while but I still appreciate them because this is from the work of Mat Groening and the rest of the staff. This episode had some very funny parts like Bart pretending to be 21 years old to get a tattoo, the school play in the beginning of the episode, Ned Flanders' Christmas lights and Homer being angered by it, Homer dressed up as Santa and Bart taking off his beard, the closing bit of the episode with everyone Christmas caroling and Bart keeps singing it differently, and maybe one or two more parts. Barney was hilarious in this episode as well. My score is a little low because it does a little boring after a while especially in the last act of the episode. I also loved how this episode showed how Homer got Santa's Little Helper to be their dog and that he made everyone very happy. The storyline was well done even though it did get boring after while and the characters are unique. The voices are always good even though the voices on the a few of the characters may sound just a little different. Overall, it's the first episode of "The Simpsons" and it's also the first Christmas episode and I just thoroughly enjoyed it... I'm happy to see this episode again after so long. 8.5/10moreless

First episode of the Simpsons (not counting the shorts)

By fsaenz0125, Apr 22, 2012

Homer discovers that he will not be getting a Christmas bonus and thus the family has no money to buy Christmas presents. He decides to keep their financial troubles a secret and gets a job as a shopping mall Santa, but later discovers that the job does not pay enough. Desperate for a miracle, Homer and Bart go to the dog racing track on Christmas Eve in hopes of earning some money. This was a great start to the Simpsons. Finally, I got to see the very first episode of the Simpsons (yet this was a Christmas themed episode). Although the animation might not be the best, it was still nice to see FOX airing an old episode of the Simpsons. I liked/laughed at the play at the very beginning of the episode, Bart singing Jingle Bells differently, Flanders' Christmas light, Bart pretending he's 21 in order to get a taboo, Homer as Santa, Bart pulling Homer's beard (as Santa), and the ending. My score is lower because the last act was dragged. Overall, a great start of the Simpsons. I just wish there were reruns for this show. 8/10moreless

I had no idea this was the first episode when i was a kid.

By NathanRoth, Nov 12, 2011

When this episode first aired i was only one years old. This was the episode that started the family comedy of are yellow family from Springfield.My its hard to imagine the changes that were made in animation in the past 22 years this show has been on for.everyone will remember the first time Bart got his incomplete tattoo that said moth instead of mother.or when Homer needed a raise from his job to get presents for the family for Christmas and he got a job as a mall Santa.any ways this was a good episode and i hate all of those Simpson hater today who think after 22 years it should be cancelled.moreless

Pilot

By jmbsonic555, Oct 16, 2011

Overall, this was a really great pilot.

This episode gets an 8.5 out of 10

Ho, Ho, D'oh!

By Kang_and_Kodos, Jul 02, 2011

This episode holds a special place in my heart, as it is the first full-length Simpsons episode. In the episode, it is Christmas and Bart gets a tattoo. Marge spends all the Christmas money removing it, which is even worse when Homer finds out that workers at the Power Plant will not get Christmas bonuses. Homer decides to work as a department store Santa to get money, but he only gets 13 dollars. Bart and Homer go to the dog track, where they bet on a dog called Santa's Little Helper. The dog loses the race, and is abandoned by his owner, so the Simpsons take him in.

This was a heartwarming and funny episode which had very good jokes. The funniest parts were the montage of Homer being a department store Santa, the song at the end, and the Christmas assembly at the start.

It is not the best episode though, as there are some errors in the animation (Barney has yellow hair), Homer hasn't got his voice completely right yet, and it is not as consistently funny as some other episodes. But, errors aside, it is an amazing episode which you must watch.moreless

Load More Reviews