Treehouse of Horror

Episode Reviews (30)

Great

The First Treehouse of Horror

By Tvteen, Jan 15, 2013

I Think many people watch the Simpsons due to the often outlandish and hilarious Halloween specials. This started the tradition off and It is strong episode

First off is Bad Dream house which is a Amityville spoof. The family move into a new house and strange things start to happen. I thought that the end was strange but there were a few good laughs.

Next It was Hungry are the damned which I thought was the weakest segment. The family are abducted by Aliens who want to take them to a feast. Lisa is suspicious and decides to investigate. I had seen the jokes before and while the Cookbook Gag was funny I thought That Kang and Kodos should just be regulated to small gags at the start.

And Finally it was the absolutely amazing The raven. Homer while Moring the loss of Marge is tormented by a Raven who looks a lot like Bart. The atmosphere and Feel of the segment made it the standout of the Pack

Awards!

Goriest segment: Bad Dream house

Worst segment: Hungry are the damned

Best Segment: The Raven

Best Gag: The Cookbook gag in Hungry are the damned

Worst ending: Bad dream house

Best ending: The Ravenmoreless

The Simpsons begins its annual Halloween tradition with the first installment of the "Treehouse of Horror" series.

By meathead704, Nov 09, 2011

The recent airing of the eighteenth episode of "Treehouse of Horror" made me want to go back to the beginning to see, what I believe, is the best episode in this long running series. The segments are very well written and very funny. I especially like how the first segment takes a well known horror story and does something strikingly original with it. The introduction of alien characters Kang and Kodos, who have become a staple of the "Treehouse of Horror" series, work well here too. The producers of this episode saved the best for last with the excellent telling of Poe's The Raven. Excellent.moreless

the simpsons first tree house of horror

By cube2k8, May 04, 2010

this is the first tree house of horror for the show and it startes out like every tree house of horror with marge saying you should turn your kids away from the screen but it turns out its not that scary the first on has the raven never more story the second they get a ducketed by aliens and the third and the simpsons move into a new house and weird things start to happen 3 really well put togeather stories. prove to be a instant classic and the start of many tree house of horrors to come and the best is yet to come.moreless

only treehouse of horror IN a treehouse!

By futuramarama, Apr 05, 2010

bart and lisa tell 3 scary stories in bart's treehouse:

Bad Dream House- evil house that tells each member of the simpson clan to kill everyone else. B+

Hungry are the Damned- We meet aliens Kang and Kodos, whom Lisa suspects of wanting to eat the Simpsons. Turns out she was wrong in the end. A

The Raven- hard to explain, unless you are familiar with the raven. C

the first one is good, second is better, third is weakest IMO. All are decent in their own ways- the first is actually scary, second introduces two characters, etc. Overall grade is a B-moreless

very special for me anyway because I love Edgar Allen Poe!!

By ElvisRocks13, Sep 14, 2008

I liked this episode because they used the poem The Raven by Edgar. A. Poe. yes, it is true that back then people would have actually been scared by that poem because it was eerie but now, not so much. It is a good poem and I loved bart as the raven. If anyone doesn't know, the raven was haunting that man because he killed "the fair maiden whom the angels named Lenore" (quote, un-quote). The abduction by the aliens has been done often enough but in this one the aliens were like E.T. because they were good. my favourite part was the cookbook dusting. I don't recall much of the new house part though, but nothing was done wrong. I liked this Halloween Horror episode.moreless

First treehouse of horror

By Gibson3445, Aug 15, 2008

Thsi is the first treehouse of horror and the only one told in the treehouse. The first story was dreamhouse The Simpsons buy a mansion cheap but find out it is haunted the house destroys itself itstead of living with them. It was a pretty good one.

The 2nd is a twilight zone parody where the simpsons is abducted by aliens who want to serve them but Lisa ends up ruining it and they are returned to earth. It is ok.

The third is The Raven the most memorable story in all of the treehouses of horrors. It is a retelling of Poe's Raven.

This one is the best of the three.moreless

The first Halloween special fulfiled the theme and is a timeless classic.

By AdrenalinDragon, May 17, 2008

The first Halloween Special was a surprising hit. I really liked this halloween special, simply because it indeed had a halloween feel to hit. The build up for each story was great and two out of three stories were excellent quality. The other one was just below par compared to the other two.

Bad Dream House

Grade: A This in my opinion is the best story out of the three. It's aiming for horror. What I like about this one was it actually had a scary feeling to it. The ghostly voice in the house was pretty cool and had a good and surprisingly strange (but funny) ending.

The story is about The Simpsons moving into this new haunted house, where blood stains on the walls and objects move around for no apparent reason. All of the Simpsons want to leave the house because of its hauntings, except for Homer. After being convinced they all get possessed and try to kill themselves with weapons. Marge doesn't get affected and tells them to stop. The Simpsons leave the house and the house disappears forever.

Hungry Are The Damned

Grade: A Another great episode for the first Halloween Special. This one finally focuses on the aliens Kang and Kodus, and this one is set in outer space. Again, a very good story because it has that typical halloween feeling to it.

The story is about the Simpsons getting abducted during a barbecue, and they are greeted by some aliens. They get free food from them constantly and Lisa gets suspicious. After finding a book "How To Cook Humans" she stops the others from eating and comes to the conclusion that the aliens are fattening them up to eat them. However, as the aliens reveal the truth about the book, they feel insulted because they were only giving them a warm welcome by feeding them. The Simpsons are taken back to their house.

The Raven

Grade: C By far the weakest of the three. However, that doesn't mean the whole story is bad. It's really just an old story switched with Simpsons characters. Homer's the main character, Marge is Lenore, and Bart's the raven. It just didn't match up to the other two stories in quality.

Like the old story, Homer lets in a raven, and he tries to catch it. However, he doesn't succeed, and falls onto the floor out of exhaustion. He realises he'll never see Lenore again. The raven beats him.

Conclusion

A very impressive start to the Halloween Specials. However, there are better ones. But if you've never seen one, I suggest you try this one out first. You'll probably be impressed. A classic indeed, and one of my favourites.moreless

Warning: Contains spoilers.

By joeyissoweird, Mar 30, 2008

First Treehouse of Horror.. it doesn't disappoint, but it's not a good Treehouse of Horror either. There's only three Halloween cartoons in this episode, which is alright with me. But the third disappoints me terribly. It is boring and not at all fun.

Bad Dream House was an interesting cartoon, and it was funny. The house destroys itself instead of living with the Simpsons, and I thought that was just funny as the words "FedEx" being on a Nascar car. I rate this a 9/10. It wasn't original, but it was all right.

Hungry are the Damned has got to be the best Treehouse of Horrors cartoon ever made. It was hilarious. It was about the Simpsons being abducted by aliens and Lisa Simpson thinking they were fattening them up to eat them. Lisa ruins everything because the aliens didn't want to eat them, and they are sent back to Earth. It was funny, but darn right cruel. 10/10

The Raven is the one that disappoints. It's boring. It's a very old tale that doesn't please this generation, or just me. It was just boring to watch. Even with Homer Simpson as himself acting like the one being scared by the raven, it's still a boring thing. 6/10

The whole plot and the set-up was alright, though. Homer Simpson is listening to Bart and Lisa tell the stories outside the treehouse, and in the end he gets scared. It's not funny, but it sure is interesting and entertaining.

This is a great Treehouse of Horror as the first. Although, it is not good, it's still a good one. Hey, it had to start somewhere.. and it just happened to be one with the Raven as the ending cartoon.moreless

The very first THOH.

By captaindillo, Feb 29, 2008

This is a very special, episode, due to the fact that it starts off the legacy of treehouse of horror episodes. The first House segment, is why the episode got a 9.6, it was allright, some jokes were OK, like maggie with the nail filer size knife and the house rathering to destroy itself than to live with the simpsons, however I seemed to get a bit bored. Still very funny though.

The second segment, with the first introduction of Kang and Kodos was very, very funny, every joke from start to finish was LOL and entertaining. My favourites being when Homer starts the barbequge, the ship not having enough power to lift homer up and also the whole Book segment.

The Raven I really liked, I thought it was just classic and though it had little jokes, I really like watching.

This paved the way for many more Treehouse of Horror segments all though this is the only one in the actual "treehouse."moreless

Load More Reviews