Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One)

Episode Reviews (25)

Superb

The sixth season ends with Springfield Elementary striking oil. However Mr. Burns soon plans to steal the newly discovered riches.

By meathead704, Jan 18, 2014

Part one of "Who Shot Mr. Burns" is quite good. As I have said many times about previous episodes of this series the dialogue is sharp and there are a lot of laughs. The final scene of everybody at the Town Hall was very well done. Mr. Burns' sun blocking device was just the icing on the cake. Just when you thought he could not be even more evil. However the one criticism I have of this was it was obvious who pulled the trigger almost immediately. An issue of "Entertainment Weekly" magazine did a very good job of pointing out the subtle clues that indicated who committed the shooting. However that aside this is still a very good episode well worth seeing.moreless

By VeryAware, Jun 21, 2011

You knew I was going to include this, didn't you?

As a entertainment-obsessed youth, there were few things more important than THE SIMPSONS. When we kids heard that Mr. Burns was going to be shot we all became detectives. Who could do it? Homer, finally seeking revenge for a crappy job? Smithers, sick of being pushed around by an ungrateful boss? Maybe it's Bart or Lisa, striking down Burns to save their beloved Springfield.

I guess none of us realized that this was THE SIMPSONS and that it was going to be a funny, inconsequential pay-off. Regardless, "Who Shot Mr. Burns" was a big deal for SIMPSONS viewers. Not only was it a cliffhanger (the only one in the show's history) it was genuinely funny with an epic plot involving Burns and his plan to blot out the sun. I remember watching a VHS with the episode taped on it during the summer hiatus. Over and over and over again I watched, hoping to discover new clues. Yeah, I was kind of an idiot.

Admit it, you had your own theories too.moreless

The school becomes rich when oil is found underneath it, until Mr. Burns taps the oil deposit, then blocking out all sun to Springfield, in the process earning him the hatred of the town. At least until he gets shot in the end, creating a cliffhanger.

By plumber-man, Mar 12, 2011

Great episode, does a great job showcasing Burns' character traits. Very funny, like in the scenes where he tries to pass himself as Jimbo or when he steps on a replica of the power plant while destroying a model of the town in his office. Though to ruin the episode, it was Maggie who shot Burns, but this is still a great episode.

Loved this episode!!!

By Sami5118, Oct 24, 2010

I loved this episode! The first (and so far) only time that I have seen it was in History class. This episode was pretty funny and it made you think, especially at the end because pretty much everyone was capable of doing it. They all had a reason to do it so it was hard to decide who really shot Mr. Burns. I liked this episode because instead of the town being divided between each other, it was the town against Burns. I also liked that they made it almost impossible to figure out exactly who did it and they left you hanging till the next season.

Overall, this episode is definately a classic. 10/10!moreless

Who Shot Mr. Burns? Read my review for part two to find out!

By captaindillo456, May 29, 2010

Ah one of the classics of the series, really funny, dramatic plot, great character devolpment and in my top ten. Allright I'll get right down to it, this episode was different to all other Simpsons episodes, it was drama, it was suspense and at the same time it was funny. The Smithers-Burns characters really get explored into. And setting up all the different suspects, like Grandpa, Bart, Homer, etc., was great because they all had their different reasons to do it. I don't think that later staffs could've pulled this episode off as good as it was and no other show, then, now, or before could have done a better episode than this.

To be continued...moreless

I couldn't solve this mystery...

By futuramarama, May 29, 2010

Wow, an epic episode! I love cliffhangers, and mysteries, and that's what this is: a mystery cliffhanger! So I was stoked! This episode had some of the funniest gags ever. It starts with Willie burying the 4th grade class hamster, Super Dude. Turns out he strikes gold. Burns hears of this and wants gold. He gets it, making people mad.

Throughout the episode he makes a lot of people mad, and so now, he plans a big thing: block out the sun. He does this successfully. Then at the end someone shoots him. But who is the culprit?

A very funny episode and a great mystery!moreless

this was a good ep

By cube2k8, May 20, 2010

this was a good way to end the simpsons season 6 with a huge cliff hanger. and this ep was about mr burns and how he was controlling the oil that the school found and he takes the oil off of the school and bart is mad beasuse his dog got a broken leg. and moe is mad becuase his bar is closed and people are mad in town beacuse they cant drink. and people are mad becuase things are getting cut like lisa favorite jazz musian telpenta. and burns is tring to take over and so the town has a huge town meeting and people are out raged even smithers . and so at night mr burns goes and walks but is suddenly shot and collpaes on the sun dial. this was a good epmoreless

Who shot Mr. Burns.. Only time will tell

By Iverson82094, Jan 27, 2008

In the first part of this groundbreaking suspense story, Mr. Burns develops a sun-blocking machine that prevents any sunlight from reaching Springfield. With the town immersed in darkness, Mr. Burns' Power Plant can make even more money. In addition to blocking the sun, Burns has also deprived the school of its funds, broken Santa's Little Helper's leg, and alienated nearly all of his fellow townspeople. When he winds up shot, everyone, including the members of the Simpson family, is a suspect. All will be revealed in the second part, but only after a cliff hanger so steep, an entire nation will be hanging on the edge of its seats. Guest Star: Tito Puente as himself.moreless

A must watch episode filled With mystery and adventure!!!

By valdezm835, Jul 14, 2007

Holy Two Parter Batman! This is one of my favorite episodes ever! I loved looking for the clues and trying to solve the mystery! The best part about this episode is that it doesnt just start as a mystery episode, it starts of as just another day in springfield and slowly enters a murder mystery with a cliff hanging, not quite concluding conclusion! Now i will not say who really did shoot mister burns bcause i am sure someone out there hasnt seen it but here is a clue= "Mr. Burns was becoming so evil he would even steal candy from a baby!" - said waylon smithersmoreless

Load More Reviews