Made in America

Episode Reviews (138)

Good
7.8

Brilliant Ending- It's all there if you pay attention.

By theodoretrout, Feb 25, 2013

Patsy Parisi has always hated Tony, for the murder of his twin brother. In one episode he even tries to shoot him at his home, but runs back into the bushes without Tony ever seeing him.

After Christopher dies, there is no heir apparent, no one to avenge Tony should he be hit. Christopher was by the time he died easily the most dangerous guy in the gang. From that point on, Tony's empire is built on sand.

Christopher's death opens up a power vacuum at ground level, quickly filled by the ambitious Patrick Parisi. Patrick has started dating Meadow, and knows which restaurant they are to meet at (NOT Vesuvio).

AJ walks in with the bodyguard, who knows what is about to go down. Aj sits at the table with his family, the bodyguard sits nearby watching nervously for Meadow to arrive. When she doesn't show up, he gets up and goes into the men's room. Tony gives him a look, then shrugs 'I guess he's gotta go'.

Patsy comes out of the men's room and walks up to Tony. Tony look s up and Patsy shoots him.

He shoots AJ, he shoots Carmela, she shoots Meadow on the way out. Janice, Paulie and Uncle June are already dead.

This echos the restaurant scene in the Godfather, which Tony dreamed about in "The Test Dream".

Remember Patsy's parting words to the car remember; the last face you see won't be Tony's - it'll be mine"

moreless

It makes sense

By benpaul12, Dec 18, 2012

Basically after Melfi (finally) discovers that Tony is not a patient who will be cured - the show can end - and that's precisely what happens and correctly. The family is loveable, yet highly flawed, and that's what the final episode shows. Nothing has changed. The episodes ending, the black screen, the family doing what they always do. It just carries on until it can carry on no more. And because Chase is realistic, he isn't going to kill everyone off or rescue everyone. A great episode that couldn't have been any other way.moreless

"Not Pew. LE Pew. Pepe le Pew is my name."

By KenSirhan59, Sep 24, 2011

I'm surprised at this epic blunder's 7.7 rating, since it stunk so bad it's a wonder the odor of decay didn't waft out the TV set. His Chaseness blew this like the wind on a not-so-grand scale. It's remarkable how on here the thumbs-down contingent [which I'm] are in such agreement over this televised morass of disjointed continuity, genuine tension [there'd already been many times when Tony was getting up in Paulie's 'other' face and it looked/felt like he wanted to kill him] and a clumsy, graceless end to one of the most absorbing shows on TV - especially the last 20 years. Being of the same frame of mind on so many points good and [mostly] bad, I won't list those other than my lipcurling contempt for that stupid music that underscored The Final Scene, which had as much atmospherics as the national anthem in a strip club. I don't recall offhand if Journey ever did anything I liked, but this one 'ain't' it. I was WTF just through that banal noise, which fit as well as a small peg in a large hole, let alone the Blackout. But after a little thought [and a lot of Curse You David Chase], I thunk up a couple of alternate endings. They keep that hokeyus maximus ending intact [although it'd have been cleaner if it had been the instant Tony got to sit upright] but leave less to the imagination. A few more dollops of detail [and better music] could only have improved the "surprise," yet still leave Questions Unanswered:

Besides shortening up Miss Meadow's excruciating parking problem, to me having just closeups of the two doors opening - the entrance and the men's room - then a cut to old dude [who just sat upright] then Pull the Plug still keep us hanging like a client of Judge Roy Bean. A little of the "uh oh, who's that?" instead of just . . . nothing. Or, to satisfy the bloodlust of certain devotees [but why some of y'all want to see Tony get whacked, ya sickos?], pop goes the blackout and then after a few seconds' pause, the sound of a single shot [pic of (name your choice)], then 1/2 shots [pic, maybe of 2/3 bagged] then last a bit of a fusillade til the echo fades, credits roll. [It wasn't til after I thought of such sequence, leaving Tony for last as it might be, that I was reminded of the Sharon Tate horror.] I'd line up Miss Janice and them two useless brats I've loathed from jump to be first in that firing line [serving suggestion: instead of Miss Meadow coming through that door, there's a shot on her sprawled on the pavement before it]. And somewhere in there instead of Brat #2's incessant whining - the chief reason he should be in the Top 3 to get it - could've been inserted at least an answer to the Russian question. Most of the other issues noted do need repairing as well - and why not a TWO-hour ending to encompass more "wrapping up?" "Divorce Court" notched 1000 episodes and there was just a regular half-hour, no like special commemorative week of specially spicy cases or some such. Scrooge would be proud. But whether Daveyboy dropped this dud on purpose or not, the sendoffs given to TV shows these days are really mostly laid eggs; they either trip over or choke on their own hype so that the Beeg Finish ain't no such thing. But no resolutions will ever happen, as so many hoped when this Lame-O Supreme-O first stank up the air, and we are left with a lot of what-ifs and a thinned-out supply of daggers from having plunged so many into No Fight For Old D. C.'s back. Well, we shouldn't let the fact that this Jackson Roykirk of the airwaves pushed out an orb instead of putting on a show like "M*A*S*H" - which last days were far worse than The Sopranos, so no excuse there - and continue to savor the pungent flavor of the rest of the Chronicles of Tony. In the, um, end that's what's most important - that only one fraction of the total had so many noses pinched as of over a fresh-turned Pine Barrens stiff. "Bada-Bing!"moreless

the end :-(

By BelgradeGirl, Jun 07, 2011

My favourite show of all times!!!

I really tried watching other shows with no prejudice, but I am now sure that no other shows will even come close to this master piece!

Every character and almost every actor was so realistic and great and all of them funcioned just perfect. Okay, I never liked A.J. and Janice, but they also had their bright moments.

And what can I say about the ending? At first I was furious, I felt like the let down on us. Then I tried to visualise what kind of ending would be a perfect one? Directors obviously knew the answer before I did, so this WAS a perfect ending for a PERECT SHOW!

Sopranos, thank you for your existance!!moreless

By sonnyd_ygh, Jun 03, 2011

What a good episode that was! It is like one of those things that you decide the ending. All I care about is that Phil got what he had coming!!! Phil gettin whacked and then the ride smashing his head was classic. That was AWESOME! I was hoping that Phil would have got it before the show ended. I actually watched The Sopranos up to Season 4 and then my brother moved away and I didn't watch Season 5 & 6 via Netflix lol.

I am glad that I waited out the few years and then what them all. I remember I seen the ending on YouTube before they started to take off Copyrighted videos.

This is by far one of the best shows ever!

Everyone talked about the ending being dumb, but it was a perfect ending with it fading to black.moreless

GREAT

By ImAwesome66, Jun 03, 2011

This episode was really good,Phil gets whacked in a very original way, the New York V New Jersey War ended, Carlo has flipped and is going to testify against Tony, as for the main point(the ending) there is no official ending with conspiracy thoeries(eg The russian from Pine Barrens,Butchie) David chase has is a genius and has made a great ending that leaves it all up in the air. I liked how all shifty characters came in to Holsten's giving you the feeling he was going to get whacked(eg, the truck driver, One of the black guys who was going to whack Tony in season 1, The guy in the members only jacket). In my personal opinion Tony did not die because 1. It was in front of his family and then the killer would have to kill them too which would be stupid for the killer to do. 2. Noone lays their hands on a mob boss and the head of a family unless there is a it put on by another boss(which would still get the other boss in trouble). And 3. The persn who killed Tony would be screwed from every corner, from New Jersey and New York.moreless

Brilliant ending to the best show ever made.

By conkom, Jun 03, 2011

After the disappointment of the Ashes To Ashes finale I remembered why David Chase was such a brilliant storyteller. The Sopranos finale was as perfect a denoument as an ending can get. It was ostensibly ambiguous but carefully crafted in such a way where the discerning viewer who followed the on-going clues could work out what would be Tony Soprano's fate. Some people thought nothing happened when the show suddenly cut to black. But the final scene had all the hallmarks of a classic Twilight Zone twist. Look at it carefully and you will know what Chase was aiming at.moreless

It's not bad episode.

By CCfan03, Mar 14, 2011

There is a good episode but...

SPOILER WARNING AHEAD...

There was a huge issue about Phil got over by the tire

then the head blow off it sounds like balloon pop. That's a disturbing violence!

And also, worst ending ever-- this is not an opening ending.

That is ridiculous ending about something went to black that didn't mean by cable went cut out. There is before ending:

this was about that, Meadow tried to park, but it wasn't getting a park as she having problems with parking because she cannot getting fit in the parking space while I guess Tony, AJ, Carmela sitting each other for dinnertime

before they shot their families would been killed that is my opinion for guessing about the ending.moreless

none of this works.

By blknge, Mar 05, 2011

All I have to say about this is this, Mr.Chase this is your story fine do whatever you want with it. But when I watch a movie or read a book I want to know about these characters and what happens to them and now I'll never know. In some stories it's alright to leave a mystery in the end but this ending is just too damn open ended, we've been with these characters for years and I myself want to know how it ends. It's as if your giving me the story and telling me you make it up I'm out of ideas.

What was good about this finale..... Phil's head crushed.moreless

Must be writers block.

By ramjag, Mar 05, 2011

Although the main character was Tony Soprano viewers were involved with all of the other characters as well. No character ever narrated and no character was ever portrayed in the first person yet we end the series in the blown away mind of Anthony Soprano and are left hanging. Previously when Tony was shot by Junior, he spent a few episodes lying unconscious in the hospital. Other than having to watch a few flashbacks we still interacted with the other characters and were not forced to watch a blank screen. During the 86 episodes we shared the lives of most of the main characters and even watched some of the children grow up. This is not meant to be a cliff hanger, it's an abrupt end to a fantastic series and the viewers have been cheated because someone got writers block.moreless

Load More Reviews