The Sopranos

Show Reviews (194)

Great

The Sopranos is a phenomenal roller coaster ride into the mind of a both repulsive and lovable character.

By cowhouse, May 29, 2014

The Sopranos is a strong contender for greatest television show ever made. But what gives it the edge is that Sopranos raised the benchmark and set the rules for all other high quality dramas to follow. Claiming The Wire or Breaking Bad may not have existed is a bit of a stretch, but to say it influenced them in formula, style and sheer intelligence is an understatement. Sopranos paved the way in so many ways, such as mature content at its most raw, and allowing us to sympathise with monsters, which has now become standard in this medium and is now what sets it apart from other media outlets.

The importance of Sopranos is clearly huge, but that alone wouldn't propel it amongst the very best if it wasn't entertaining. Luckily, it reigns supreme in this factor too, with arguably the single greatest anti hero to grace our screens, emotional gut punches galore and plenty of truly dark humour that often relieves the tension at always the right time.

It remains high in quality throughout it's run, and the only slight dips are the occasional episode in the later seasons. The first few episodes give the impression its a generic, albeit brilliantly made depiction of the gangster lifestyle. It quickly destroys this notion however, as Tony Soprano gradually opens up and eventually pouring his heart to his shrink, where we unravel his twisted, disturbing and suprisingly vulnerable thought process. These scenes become almost an analysis to his rotten criminal activities before it, and becomes a compelling formula once you are into it. As the show goes on, it becomes much more surreal and artistic, with ambitious (very long) dream sequences and monologues that are hard to decipher. More often than not however they hit their mark.

The entire supporting cast, much like Tony himself, are certainly flawed, and can be difficult to like. The show doesnt ask you to do so however. It's grounded in realism, and characters are the story, a tragic one at that. And seeing it unravel is to venture further into the rabbit hole. There are a number of scenes in the series that are downright shocking, and will likely to put even the most desensitised viewer into a state of anger. But its not "shock value" if the scenes has context and meaning.

Since this show has ended I sort television dramas into two categories: pre-Sopranos and post-Sopranos. And since television has never been better.moreless

21st century Mafia

By Hardasstv, May 01, 2014

Starring the late great James Gandolfini the Sopranos is brilliantly written. Its not the wise guy kind of TV show as people first thought, but more of a physcological approach to the pressures of being a Mob Boss. Dont get me wrong the violence and sterotype of Italian American Mobsters are there, but it goes hand in hand with a present day approach in how the Cosa Nostra goes about there business.

Gold Standard

By RBarao, Feb 11, 2014

This show isn't about mafiosi, crime, murder or drugs.

This is a careful, methodical dissection of the notion of "family" and "family values". There are no simple relationships, and no character is either black or white. They're all flawed and, at some point, they all disappoint or surprise us, make us root for them or hate them.

Moreover, the writing is simply unsurpassable. There is no room or need for expository dialogue. All we need to know is either shown or hinted at, and it's our job to put the pieces together, which is the true appeal of any meaningful relationship.

The Sopranos is the gold standard for any show, regardless of genre.moreless

WORST SHOW IN EXISTENCE!

By moustache, Nov 26, 2013

the characters are boring , the mafia theme is being used a trillion times , this uses the 'n' word over 200 times. My god , the people who like this show are the most stupid white people on the face of the planet! Oh, and the man that died , I threw a party of saying GOODBYE to that stupid old b@st@rd.

Woefully innacurate

By bknight1, Sep 04, 2013

The Soprano's is a Mafia drama in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian resteraunt. What always frustrated me about this show is how such great pains were taken with certain production values of this show, and yet the criminal aspect is glossed over in almost comical Tony and his crew behaved the way they did in the real world, they'd have been whacked after the first episode..

If you really want to see a real Mafia drama, (and see how the mob really works) watch Goodfellas or Donnie pay attention..moreless

#1 organized crime show-totally gangster !!

By Mooser1971, Jun 03, 2013

This show is smoking awesome !! I love the the cast and everything about the show !! never missed an episode while it was on comcast !! The drama keeps me on the edge of my seat at ALL times ! One of my favorite episodes was when angela got what she thought was a great boyfriend whom she knew from way back and he ended up being a jerk and slapped her and she whacked the guy and then tony took his body to the meat market at night and cut him up into pieces !!!!! wwwwow !!!!moreless

One Of The Great Shows

By Zingo, Nov 04, 2012

This show had me from the opening credits and theme song. I never missed a show after the pilot, and thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. Some shows reach a level that could be called "high art", and this is one of them. The cast was perfect and real looking. Some shows have an unnatural amount of beautiful looking people on them. Of the regulars, one or two could be called beautiful. The rest had interesting normal mugs. The acting doesn't get any better. Rarified air.moreless

The Americanized Mafia Soap Opera.For Kids!

By sk_razor, Sep 18, 2012

Everything about the sopranos except the core plot is great. How ever the mafia core is just plain ***ed. What you get with the Sopranos is a well done series of what mafia would have been like with a brain damaged leader in the town of Unnamedsville with population of 4000 people. While drama lovers certainly are going to appreciate a good production, and the pseudo-mafioso spicing. While watching an Joe potato gangster argue with his wife on a daily basis certainly has an audience, and that has already been verified, it can't stand as any criminal portrayal be it fictional or realistic.That is unless you want to watch the head of the Mafia, in an American state populated by 8 million people, at the peak of his career personally negotiating a deal on the street, with common truck hijackers about a full truck of garage tools enticing the dealers for further business by offering to return the truck with shampoo with 20$ retail price - per.

Apparently the crime element in the show has somewhat slipped past 99% of the criminal activities that have been going around America for over a century, And the scale is too dumb to be even funny. Overall if you would like to see a televised motion of what the mafia would like in the head of a three year old you should go ahead. If you like personal dramas with the American flavor its for you. However if you want a show with even basic sense of dignity you won't be able to enjoy actors doing great performances on crime subjects most often near relevant as a turd, having a dip of sloppy murder occasionally.

As the previous reviewer put it excellently "turn of your brain" is a prerequisite for most enjoyment you can acquire out of it. Once again, there is certainly an audience for this. However this review is for anyone so anyone with other tastes, should know what they are getting into.

moreless

Haters gonna hate.

By Pess, Feb 06, 2012

I think the people who dont like this just dont like watching tv shows, because this is really the kind of show which you can sit down with a cold coke and some popcorn and turn of your brain. I think its a great show for hardcore tv-show addicts!

Load More Reviews