Persona

Episode Reviews (5)

Superb

Black Cats, Black Costume and oh my, a Chameleon to boot.

By Antiyonder, Aug 29, 2008

Whether it was the animated series from the 90s or the original comic or the movie I enjoyed The Alien Costume Saga. Whether it's the effect that the costume had on him or the various designs of the costume I haven't decided.

What I like about this version of the story is the blending of the other versions of the story (Playing his conscience, improving his physical attributes and the control over him as seen in the next episode).

Between the goop comment (as well as her other wiity dialogue), the kitty sense and the kissing scene at the end, you just can't go with this Black Cat.

Have to say that the Chameleon's disguises are impressive. His "Spider Sense" and quips are priceless. As for Quentin Beck and Phineas Mason, they're okay, but as for them returning. Well, I don't think they could fight Spidey on their own. Beck would be better off getting a pet fish and a fishbowl to keep them in.moreless

After a tussle with the Black Cat, Spider-Man unknowingly acquires a new black costume and a new enemy: The Chameleon!

By KateShadow, May 20, 2008

As much as the hype is for the new black Spidey, this episode was alright in most standards. As Dr. Connors studies the mysterious black alien that was introduced at the end of "The Uncertainty Principle", Spidey encounters a break-in by the sexy Black Cat. Winding up with a new black costume after in pursuit of Cat, Spider-Man takes on a new enemy that is tarnishing his heroic reputation: The Chameleon.

In this episode, Spidey becomes slandered by the Bugle because of the previous episode's events with newspaper sales, thus old J.J.J's classic hated for Spidey begins. Jameson's character is always a great laugh between the action and the drama of the episodes. Also, for new characters go, the viewers were introduced to two of them: Black Cat and the Chameleon.

~Black Cat - Tricia Helfer did a nice touch with the voice of the bad little kitty, but I found it took some getting used to from Jennifer Hale's whiny high pitched role in the '94 series. Helfer had a deeper, more mature voice for her sexy lines with Spidey. She stole (no pun intended) the spotlight in this episode, especially with the 2002 movie's classic upside-down kiss at the end as a little distraction to make her escape. Poor little Spidey...Let's hope Cat will pop up in a future episode.

~Chameleon - Steven Blum seems to be pulling the strings with a bunch of character in this series so far (Green Goblin, news reporter). As a villain, the master of disguise was alright for my taste, although I wished he had a bit more screen time as his original self before parading as Spider-Man. I was a little unused to seeing Chameleon talking, due to that he was silent in his true form in the '94 series. As for his quick getaway in the end, a nice touch, but hopefully, not being seen for a little while. A few other comments about this episode...

~Eddie Brock - More back story for the upcoming Venom saga at the very end of this season. After reading the Bugle, Eddie finally admits in front of Gwen Stacy that Peter can't be trusted anymore after saying that Peter didn't bother to call the cops while the symbiote was stolen. "Bro had his second chance..." Good quote to show his anger. I'm crossing my fingers that Eddie will hopefully show up in the upcoming episodes before his big transformation.

~Quintin Beck & Phineas Mason - A little cameo in this episode as Chameleon's illusionists for his Spidey stunts. Big hints that Mysterio and the Tinkerer will be showing up in future episodes.

~The Black Costume - As all Spidey fans did a big fangirl 'squee' all around the world as they saw the preview for this episode, I hoped the symbiote would live to its reputation as it did in the '94 series. As it's appearance went, I'm surprised Peter didn't get more a reaction as it did in '94. It seems that the animators took the appearance from the recent film into the new series. A nice touch for realism, plus the symbiote's powers were a nice bit when Peter changed back to normal. It's a shame they didn't change into different clothes as the '94 series did. Maybe the suit will get more of a use before the saga is over. The best part of it all was when Spidey was going to tell Captain Stacy that he stole the symbiote, but is cut off by the alien's influence on his mind: "What are you doing? If you tell the truth and they'll take the suit away. And you NEED it's power to...help people..." Best part ever.

~Writing - Was pretty decent. As good as the episode was, it felt a little rushed. The suit should have been given bit more time to show itself properly, but as a 23-minute cartoon plus commercials, the writers could only do so much. I actually loved the awful quotes they gave to Chameleon as he was masquerading as Spidey though: "My insect early-warning system's tingling!" (Best line ever.)

Chameleon: "How about a taste of Spider punch?"

Spider-Man: "I do NOT sound like that..."

(Love this scene!)

Altogether, this episode was a pretty good start to the Venom saga. Next week, Sinister Six!moreless

Felt a little rushed maybe

By failed_shammy, May 17, 2008

Another great solid episode but for the first time watching this series I have a small complaint. I feel that the introduction of the smbiote suit was a little rushed and could have been done better. I almost think that if Black Cat didnt tell his his suit was black Pete would have never known. But other than that it was a good builder episode for things to come. I was wondering how they were gonna make Brock all pissy at Pete and they showed and did that very well. We got to see another member of the sinister 6, and it was my fav so far. Black Cat was an amazing addition to the show but would have liked to see some background on her for the ones out there that doesnt know the whole "super soldier" thing.moreless

Spider-Man gets the black suit! Black Cat appears! And the Chameleon is out to impersonate Spider-Man!

By SpaceWay2007, May 17, 2008

The black costume looks great on Spider-Man! Black Cat develops a crush on Spidey and she complimented on his new, improved,and black costume. Eddie Brock finally has a grudge against Peter and Spider-Man. Eddie gave up on Peter. He gave him one chance and Peter blew it because he didn't bother to call the police when someone stole the black ooze. Eddie thinks Spider-Man was the one that stole the black ooze. Man, this episode had a lot going on and it was very exciting. The writers introduced the characters fairly well. I hope that under the black suit, Peter will become badder and does something that will really piss off Eddie. Oh, and the kiss in the end was cool! Peter now has a lot of girls that like him. And don't forget about the Chameleon. I think the Chameleon is working for the Red Skull. Quinten Beck made an appearance, but he wasn't Mysterio. I think the old guy who was helping the Chameleon was Smythe. Overall, excellent and perfect episode. Next, Spider-Man faces the Sinister Six!moreless