FX Renews The Strain for Season 2

By LizRaftery

Aug 19, 2014

FX's vampire outbreak will continue to spread: The network has renewed horror drama The Strain for a 13-episode second season that will debut in 2015.

The move comes as no surprise, as The Strain is cable's top new series of 2014 among adults 18 to 49. The first episode drew 12.7 million viewers, making it the most-watched series premiere in FX's history.

From Guillermo del Toro and Lost co-creator Carlton CuseThe Strain stars Corey Stoll as Dr. Ephraim Goodweather, the head of the CDC division in New York who's called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak that, as we know now, causes people to lose their genitals and grow huge, propulsive, blood-sucking stingers in their throats. The series is based on a trilogy of novels written by del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

"We've never had any doubts about The Strain," FX President John Landgraf said in a statement. "Working with Guillermo del Toro, Carlton Cuse, and the brilliant cast led by Corey Stoll has been everything we had hoped it would be and more. It is thrilling when you have a show that is a creative and commercial hit, which is a rare accomplishment in this increasingly crowded marketplace. We look forward having it on FX for as long as Carlton, Guillermo, and Chuck Hogan need to tell this epic tale."

Added del Toro: "I am thrilled! Another season to spread the virus!

The Strain airs Sundays at 10pm on FX. Season 1 will be available on DVD and Blu-ray on Tuesday, December 2.

• Comments (28)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • numberonecubsfa Aug 21, 2014

This one was never remotely in doubt. Kind of surprised they waited til it aired to renew it for more. The hype and production values all but guaranteed a winner.

• WildPict Aug 21, 2014

I like it so far, but whether I watch it next season depends on what happens in the last half of this season.

• ionee24 Aug 20, 2014

It's a no brainer.

Even if the show wouldn't be entertaining in its own right, after True Blood finale it will be *the* vampire show next year.

This is the right move.

• BlackCatRose Aug 20, 2014

Yes. I love it...and I love the books...I mean the books are a triologi so why can't the serie be it as well.....

• No1Slayerette Aug 19, 2014

I'll keep watching, it's very slow paced though, but each week the final scene usually does enough to keep me coming back, like Eph and Nora being reunited in Abraham's basement this week.

• nasedoofantar Aug 19, 2014

So are they going to drag out the story for a few seasons where the government & the public at large don't know/recognize what's happening, or will social media get wind of things like people saw with the ME attacking people & the FBI agents in broad daylight (or eclipse light?) and other authorities joining the fight with Eph & Setrakian? If something like this were to actually happen and cell phone videos of creatures the lamestream media would probably ignore them until one such creature showed up in front of their cameras.

• Sam20 Aug 19, 2014

I'll give it a full season, but I don't think it will be able to keep up for multiple seasons.

• ChrisFord Aug 19, 2014

Oh good lord, no. I assumed that there was some light at the end of this shitty acting and writing tunnel, but no, I was apparently just seeing a flicker of light due to the stroke that I must have suffered to keep watching this.

• ludoTV Aug 19, 2014

Yay!!! One of my fav new shows so glad it's coming back

• WavSlave Aug 19, 2014

Fine, just move it off of Sunday nights and onto one of FX's more traditional broadcast days.

• See More Comments (7)