Great

Has quirks, but still fun to see

By Raven77, Oct 22, 2013

I watched a few episodes and I have many feelings about this show. Let me start off with the live action show. It felt kinda out dated to me. Princess Peach is known as Princess Toadstool and Bowsr as King Koopa, which is what they were called back then. The live action shows may be fun fo little kids but to older viewers, it still feels annoying. Now we get to the cartoons. The plots are exciting to watch seeing Mario get thrown into the action but I felt disapointed that the show relied too heavily on parodies instead of trying to do thier own original ideas. Still, I kinda liked the show.moreless

Nice!

By SuperMarioBros11, Sep 26, 2013

This is one of my favorite shows, it's better then some of the other shows I watched, (Like MLP, that isn't very great). Watch this show, and buy all the DVDs, trust me, you'll like it. If you were smart, I think you'll pretty much enjoy this besides stupid MLP.

It's a TV show about Mario!

By counter5, Jan 14, 2013

So many people hate the show. Why? Yes, the show looks childish. But it had a lot more underneath that. It appears better than the other Mario cartoons (I haven't seen them much) and WAAAY better than any cartoon of the time.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the live action segments even though their OK, so I'll review the cartoon

Animation - Looks great. Mario and his buddies look perfect. Animation is very detailed and colorful.

Consistency - Pretty good. Some may argue with me about this, like how Peach's hair is red and Mario's color scheme is inverted, but most of the character's had not been evolved into their final design because Super Mario 3 wasn't out yet, so at the time it had good consistency.

The only problem is that Fire and Star Mario is called "Super" Mario. Mario actually becomes super after using a mushroom, becomes fire after using a flower, and invincible after using a starman.

---

Story - The story is exceptional. The show helped develop the plot more than anything before it. Apparently set right after Super Mario 1, all the characters were given distinct personalities in the show, where previously they had none. It is explained how Mario got to the mushroom kingdom, and also shows what Mario and Luigi's life was like when they worked as plumbers in Brooklyn.

The episodes, however, are a bit different. The episodes have varying storylines but some just completely ripoff classic stories, while others add twists that make it slightly better. Many have unoriginal settings, however, like the Wild West or Robot City.

---

Dialogue - Dialogue is acceptable. Many jokes are unoriginal while some made me chuckle or even laugh. The dialogue is never unnecisary and usually adds something worthwhile.

---

Music/Sound - The music and sound are great! I love how they use classic Mario sound effects from the games. Another thing I love is how they remix classic Mario tunes that we all love. Who doesn't love that catchy overworld tune?

---

Characters - It wasn't always the storyline or dialogue that kept bringing me back, it was the characters. The main cast was so loveable and always made me smile. From pasta-loving Mario and his scaredy-cat brother Luigi, to fiery, hot-headed Toad to the sweet and stand-up Princess Toadstool (Peach), I couldn't get enough of them. Especially Luigi!moreless

what in the world this a ripopff ya thats what

By DSEF, Jan 04, 2013

is this suposed to be funny no but wheres bowser?HE IS NOT IN THE SHOW .oh thats why WAIT WHAT WHY MARIO IS SUPOSED TO ACT LIKE HE DOES IN THE OLD CLASSICAL GAMES FROM MARIO OH WAIT WHAT?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This show could have been done so much better

By That_TV_Dude, Sep 06, 2012

If you ask anyone what the first video game they ever played was, chances are that person will say Mario. The Mario Brothers are known world wide as one of the best games series ever made. So when I heard that back in the 80s there was a show based on it, I gave it a shot. Now as much as I love Mario and all the games, I have to admit after seeing a few episodes of the show, it could have been done so much better than this. The show begins with a live action segment of Mario and Luigi. Mario is played by former wrestler "Captain" Lou Albano and Luigi is played by Danny Wells. Both of them do a good job playing the parts and the humor is actually pretty good, it won't be laugh out loud funny, but it's good enough. The live action segments would also include a special guest appearance like Dracula, Elvis, Inspector Gadget, etc. and they weren't too bad either. Now after the live action segment, we cut to the animated version, and this is where the show ultimately falls apart. The story in the animated version is that Mario and Luigi are sucked down a pipe in Brooklyn, New York and they have to fight their way through the Mushroom Kingdom to find a new warp zone to get them home. The show has all your favorite characters from the games, Peach, Toad, Bowser, etc. The voice acting is pretty good for all the characters with the exception of Toad, he sounds like a nasally 5 year old with a very bad New York accent. Now I think they were going for how annoying Toad was in the games, so I will give credit for that, but they could have found another voice actor. For some reason in the show, Bowser is called King Koopa and is commanding forces from the SMB 2. First of all, why is Bowser now called King Koopa? Second, why are the bad guys under Bowser's control? Thirdly, where is Wart? He should have been in this show to. The animation is very poorly done. It looks very choppy, sometimes lips will move when they shouldn't, and the animation quality of the show looks very poor. The artwork is no better since there are some drawings that are never completed like one guy's face was never drawn at all. The humor is nowhere as good as the live action segments, its all pasta humor and it will make you groan. The stories themselves are parodies of franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, James Bond, and so on. Now I love parodies and satires, but when they are written so poorly and the humor is just bad, it really ruins it. I was really disappointed in this show, it could have been done so much better than this. The artwork and animation is terrible, the parodies are weak, the humor is bad, it just wasn't that great. Sorry all of you fans of the show, I gave it a chance but it just falls short on almost all levels. Just watch the live action segments of the show only.moreless

This show brings back some great memories.

By jmbsonic555, Sep 28, 2011

The Mario Bros.; Mario and Luigi, were two plumbers from Brooklyn. On one of their plumbing jobs, they were in the middle of unclogging a bathtub drainpipe. Without any warning, the drain suddenly pulled the brothers in, and warped them to the Mushroom Kingdom. Upon their arrival, they rescued Princess Peach Toadstool and Toad from King Bowser Koopa and his army.

My Review: People complain about the cartoon too much, how the animation is bad

Hello?, it came out in 1989, jeez people, give it a chance.

But the live action skits are cool, and the cartoon itself is kinda funny.

I reccomend this to any Super Mario fan.

7/10 D-moreless

Even though this show has a lot of problems, at least its a Mario cartoon! How cool is that?

By YoungLink128, May 09, 2011

I would like to start off by saying that this show does in fact have many problems. Such as: The animation always has many mistakes, the hair on princess peach is brown, and its very lame. However, the live acting part isn't the worst part of the show. I kind of enjoy it. They have some humorous moments. Also "Do the Mario" is just amazing! Now for the animated part. Firstly, you gotta love the intro theme. Secondly, you gotta love the classic animation (although at times is very cheesy and has errors.) Some of the story lines can be good and others very bad. Bottom line, if your a Mario fan than how could you not love this show?moreless

It's the Mario Brothers!

By frosty_ice, May 01, 2011

One of the best shows of the end of the 80's, no doubt about it. Sometimes I wonder how did this series contributed for our view on the Super Mario world. Not only we had cartoon characters but we also had live-action characters, who interacted with some of the most incredible guest characters that appeared looking for Mario and Luigi. It was comedy time, whenever these two appeared. Another issue regarding the series, was the cartoon. The animation was good and the voice acting was also very good. No doubt that the voice actors were very well chosen. In a word, this show was superb!moreless

Not great, but it's at least decent. Since I am Cartoon King I'm only reviewing the animated segments.

By CartoonKing50, Apr 09, 2011

"The Super Mario Bros. Super Show" is the first animated series to be based on Nintendo's popular "Mario" video game series. This one premiered in 1989, ran for 52 episodes, and ended later that year. It was in syndication since it's premiere and was produced by DiC Entertainment. This show was mostly based on "Super Mario Bros. 2". That's probably because it was the new game at the time. While it was mostly close to the games, there were some canonical errors as well:

-Bowser's troops in this show were Wart's troops in "Super Mario Bros. 2".

-In the games Koopa Troopas had yellow skin, and big Sonic the Hedgehog eyes. In this show they had green skin, and dotted eyes.

-In the game Birdos were dinosaurs. in the show they were birds.

-In the games Toad's mushroom cap was part of his head. In the show it was a hat.

-Another one with Toad. In the games his mushroom cap was white with red spots. In The Super Show it was red with white spots. They fixed this later though.

I geuss this show was pretty entertaining. Mario's pasta jokes got old fast, the idea of having a different "land" for everything (including Car Land) was really stupid. The animation also had a lot of errors, but the show was fun to watch. Personally, I perfer the live-action segments, but I'm not gonna talk much about them. Lou Albano and Danny Wells did a good job at Mario and Luigi's voices, and a geuss Bowser's voice was okay. There was something about this show that was fun to watch, but I hate most of the parody episodes. What I mean by that is episodes that are based on a story, a movie, a book etc. Some of those were alright, but the best ones were the ones that weren't based on any already existing story, except Super Mario Bros. Well... all of them had some sort of theme.

Overall it's not one of my favorites, but it is fun to watch, and it's kinda close to the source material. But I don't mind when something strays a little bit from what it's based on. This cartoon was entertaining, and fun to watch when you're bored. But I think it could've been a little better.

Rating: 63% "Decent"