I Am the Night - Color Me Black

Good
7.6

Eternal Darkness

By sh811a, Jul 07, 2012

This anthology tale I personally think is underrated, it's true it's may come of as just a bit preachy by today's standards but I think it's still effective. Theres not much to say, I really love the use of the darkness how it blankets the whole town, it kinda reminds me of the use of the fog in the video game series "Silent Hill", it just gives that feeling of doom and dread the fact that there is darkness in what is suppose to be the day time you know it's unnatural and due to what is going on thoughout the episode you have just a really awful feeling it's going to get a hell of a lot worse and it does.

The prisoner character you can't help but feel sympahtic toward because you know techonally he's innocent he did kill in self defense let alone the person he killed really isn't innocent but unfortunately the town deems him that way; you don't want him to die but their nothing you can do about it. What disturbs me about the episode is the fact there were three characters the sheriff, journalist, and deputy that were capable of doing the right thing which is to defend the man's innocence but don't, because they submited to their own selfish desires but worst of all the stupidity of the majority.

One character I really liked in the episode was the reverend, there were two moments I liked when the prisoners states the fundamental problem of getting with the majority and how the minority always are the ones to suffer and die and then the reverend references Jesus Christ which makes sense because Jesus was killed by the hatred (though never explained why) of a majority of people. And then the reverend I felt gives a profound speach about what the darkness really is that it is really hate itself, then we hear on a radio which gave me a cold feeling inside of how much this disease of hate has spread and it references all of the places which all contained real life tragic events like Dallas where the JFK assassination took place, Berlin with it's wall, Vietnam the ongoing war at the time, etc; the sad truth is this disease continues today.

The message of this episode is simply about the nature of hate, it is a destroyer that causes nothing but death and darkness which is ignorance.moreless

On the morning of a condemned man's hanging, the townspeople wonder why the sun has not risen.

By puddleglum5999, Apr 22, 2009

Serling was a master of fable and allegory, using the trappings of a sci-fi/fantasy show to sneak across social commentary that never would have gotten on the air otherwise. In "I Am the Night--Color Me Black," he takes a stand on the effects of prejudice and hatred. Although it is a bit more blunt than some of his other works, the script still works fine, and the imagery of pervasive darkness still stands out in my mind today. I liked the way that the plague of darkness spread to other places affected by hatred--Dallas with the JFK assassination, segregation in the South, etc. Look for Jim Lindsey (Goober from The Andy Griffith Show) as a deputy who perjures himself on the witness stand.moreless

This episode demonstrates one reason Serling was special.

By tagger1948, Jul 03, 2008

One thing Rod Serling liked to do was preach--and I don't mean that in a bad way. If you weren't around in Postwar America, say 1946 until the 1960s, you don't really understand what television was like.

Sponsors and networks killed topical television in the 1950s. They didn't want names named. Anything deemed controversial just never got on the air. Many of the Twilight Zone episodes dealt with this blind spot by disguising the message in allegory or fables.

This episode is a fine example of Serling's technique, in my opinion. He always spoke out against intolerance and bigotry and seemed to be a big fan of the "cautionary tale" approach when it came to getting his message across.

This story is a clear warning that nothing good ever comes of blind hatred and ignorance.moreless