It's a Good Life

Episode Reviews (7)

Superb

An Interesting Reference to Fascist Governments

By sara_ilana, May 05, 2013

The power Anthony has in some ways resembles the Power of Russian Dictator Stalin and Nazi Hitler. The way anyone with even an ounce of thought related to conspiracy is thrown out or killed. The way everyone must always say that it's "Really good, It' very good that you're doing this Anthony!" Is like forced propaganda. In addition, Anthony controls all sources of communication and media, whether it's the TV or the thoughts of the community. A very frightening thought at that.moreless

One of the All-time Best TZ Episodes

By pantsgap, Jan 27, 2013

One of the best. Yet, it isn't on any collection boxed sets of even the Season 3 Box Set. Why is that?

My thoughts on one of the most memorable episodes.

By dan62tvt, Oct 06, 2010

In this episode, parts can be humorous, one part can bring tears to the eyes, and some find it quite scary (and it's probably one of the episodes that causes some people to consider The Twilight Zone a horror series). I think it\'s the only episode that can bring out all three of those emotions (though probably not all 3 for the same person).

After the 1st time I saw it, for some reason, the most memorable line from this (or any) episode was \"You\'re a bad man. You\'re a VERY bad man.\" Now when I watch it, I can say a lot of the lines along with them.

I\'m just wondering why Aunt Amy didn\'t go ahead and hit Anthony over the head with the poker like she was about to.

moreless

It's A Good Life has one of the best plots and really showcases the sci- fi element the Twilght Zone had to offer.

By tvloverduh, May 29, 2010

It's A Good Life is a very speacial episode in my opinon. To start it is timeless and classic and I just love the acting. Billy Mumy is a great actor and I watch him all the time on my Lost In Space DVDs. The episode is really fun and just wonderful and creepy.

A small town is held captive by a young boy named Anthony Freemont. Everybody in the town, even Anthony's own family, struggle to keep Anthony happy for fear of risking the wrath of his telepathic powers.

By meathead704, Jun 26, 2008

Watch this episode and even you will fear Anthony Freemont and his telepathic powers. The cast gives a first rate performance throughout the episode. The viewer can really sense the fear in the faces of the cast and actually feel it themselves. I also like the fact that Anthony is a young boy because that adds an extra element of fear to the story. The danger to the townspeople is even more grave because Anthony is a boy and is too young to really realize the danger his power possesses and has no real grasp of its consequences. Classic episode.moreless

The Twilight Zone show that you'll never forget. A boy with the power to get rid of anything he doesn't like is what really makes this show suspensful.

By jonnyquest123, Dec 29, 2006

This is a must see Twilight Zone episode which also defines the seires. If you've never seen this episode then you don't know the Twilight Zone. This is the show that made me think of what would happen if the situation of a little boy having that power. It makes you think a whole lot like what happens in the cornfield? Is it really a cornfield? Why was he born with such power? Why couldn't they just kill him. For those who didn't like the ending, well, it's the perfect ending to a Twilight Zone episode. If you would like to know what happened to Anthony, there's the sequel, it's still a good life, which shows what happened when Anthony grew up and had a daughter of his own.moreless

Evil Seed

By sh811a, Aug 31, 2006

Another favorate of mine. It's not hard to see why, it's one that I thought was very creepy. Bill Muny for a kid at the time was a really good actor, making himself an anti Christ like character a force of evil to be reconded with. There is very little explination as to why according to the begining of the narration supposedly all of the world is destroyed except for one little farming town (possibly Billy the perpetrator)? Why Anthony is so powerful and seems to be abusing his powers? What the heck happens after people or things are wished away to the cornfield?

This tale doesn't need explanation because it's mainly invested in moody horror sensability and emotion. Sort of has the errie sensibility of a folklore or Brother's Grimm tale. From the begining visual when we see everyone just smiling, they seem more like very forced smiles (similar to some of the opening in David Lynch's Blue Velvet) you can tell there is something wrong with this picture. From how the adults and some of the older kids act we are able to get some information from them about the type of existance they live in and who Anthony is. On the outside it looks like any other town nice and quiet but underneath it it's actually a post apaciliptic hell. Some of the information gives us a feeling of chilling dread from people forced to think happy thoughts all the time to shield them from giving Anthony a reason to use his powers against them, lack of resources, people that always go missing, kids who Anthony wished away, and other things. You feel a little sense of pity for most of the adults, they constantly wear masks of happyness but underneath those masks their are hints of desperation, despair, repressed anger, and depression. Anthony is an interesting bad guy even though he is a perpetrator of bad things, there at times seems to be some humanity in the kid which gives you a hint he might have a concious. It kinda brings a lot of questions, is the kid really responsible for his actions or is he a victum of circumstance, perhaps if his parients gave him proper guidence he might not so many bad things. Basically on one hand this could be seen as a causionary fable about what happens when you raise a child improperly. But mainly it's a metaphoric tale show how the ideal peaceful existance we supposedly are living is a complete lie and the evil that lies underneth it. Is Anthony really as evil as we are ment to believe or could the older people living the continual peaceful existance be more eviler than him. After all they all have to pay very huge prices to maintain living even if it means turning your back on your best friend/husband as we saw in the party. It's possible all of them could have overpowered Anthony but they did nothing for they were too week and somewhat bankrupt morally. Also in the final scene at one moment the parients were going to stand up to Anthony but then clammed up, was Anthony really going to send his father to the cornfield at that moment or was he just trying to understand why his father was acting that way at the moment?

It sort of makes you think about all the peacful existances coexisting during times of war and crisis. Why there were many people that did nothing while others did everything to maintain that peaceful existance a lot of people live in. It almost feels as though Anthony is trying very hard to create that peaceful existance for not so much himself but everyone but it doesn't always seem possible. Just as there are no explanations in the story, we have no answers to these questions it's really up to you. Just remember keep thinking happy thoughts.moreless