Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

Episode Reviews (9)

Superb

@Brian4663 - The Gremlin Looks Great???

By WildstarV, Mar 26, 2014

@Brian4663 - The Gremlin looks just as it is, a guy in a dime store teddy bear suit. It's the single worst special effect in Twilight Zone history! But, it's still one of the BEST episodes in Twilight Zone History BECAUSE of William Shatner's performance. Bottom line.

GRRR I'm a creature on the plane!

By Brian4663, Jan 02, 2012

Great episode but I wish someone besides William Shatner played the role. He did a good job but Shatner is the "Star Trek" man not the "Twilight Zone" man. The gremlin looks great but not as scary as Twilight Zone the movie in the 1980's. This overall might be the second scariest of the series. Behind "Eye of the beholder."

A paranoid masterpiece!

By jawsthecabbie, Feb 17, 2009

This is perhaps one of the most fondly remembered episodes of The Twilight Zone. Anybody undergoing treatment for severe anxiety disorders had probably better skip this one! I wonder how many people actually canceled important business trips or long awaited family reunions after seeing this episode for the first time because they had to fly. It might be interesting to check the business records of all the major airlines at the time this episode first aired, and to listen in on some of the board discussions of some the major airlines generated by this one episode. "Gee, thanks a lot Rod you #@*^$#!"

Fans of The Twilight Zone won out, however, and had something to talk about for years to come. What a great story!moreless

A businessman (William Shatner) on a red-eye flight sees a gremlin trying to destroy one of the plane's engines, but he cannot convince anyone else of the imminent danger.

By puddleglum5999, Nov 28, 2008

Out of 156 TZ episodes, there are a handful that seemingly everyone has seen at least once. This episode makes the short list. Between the original episode, the TZ movie remake in 1983 with John Lithgow, and various other homages in movies and TV (3rd Rock, Ace Ventura, etc.), this is one episode that, perhaps more than any other, has crossed over into mainstream cultural consciousness.

The story, adapted by Richard Matheson from his own short story, is taut and suspenseful. While William Shatner falls into the same fraternity as Leslie Nielsen and Adam West in terms of overall talent (better suited to self-parody than serious acting), he actually does a pretty good job here of not overacting--quite a statement for him.

I once read that Matheson was unhappy with how "fake" the gremlin looked, but considering that we're talking about early-1960s FX (and for TV, at that), it doesn't look bad. And the final shot of the wing leaves a lasting imprint. In all, this episode is well-deserving of its reputation.moreless

a gremlin on an airplane

By 6tacky, Jul 06, 2008

well theres a guy named robert wilson has just recovered from a nervous breakdown after an airplane flight, making him terified of airplanes. he is now riding one on a dark and stormy night. he sees a monster on the wings and becomes very nervous. the strange thing however, is that whenever he tries to show it to someone it mysteriosly goes away. eventually he throws open the window and shoots down the monster. was it his imagination? my sister and i were both terefied of this episode when we were young. they did a pretty darn good job of making the monster considering the time the show was made.moreless

After recovering from a nervous breakdown, Robert Wilson and his wife board a flight for home. During the flight, Wilson sees a creature on the wing of the plane. He tries to convinve himself the creature isn't real, but he soon realizes it is.

By meathead704, May 21, 2008

This classic episode of "The Twilight Zone" is rock solid proof that William Shatner is capeable of giving an excellent performance. I am a huge "Star Trek" fan but I must say that Shatner's performance here rivals every bit of acting he has done on that show or anything else. He is not the only reason why this episode is teriffic. The well written script and the nail biting suspense are another reason why this episode works so well. One vieweing of this episode and you will imeediaitley realize why this episode is as popular today as it was then.moreless

Nightmare At 20,000 Feet is a personal favorite of mine and a lot of other people as well.

By tvloverduh, Jul 04, 2006

Nightmare At 20,000 Feet holds one of the greatest story lines The Twilight Zone ever had. It also featurs in my opinon some of the greatest acting The Twilight Zone had. This episode is kind of creepy and in a wierd way funny but overall a personal favorite. Fantastic episode and well done!

This episode puts the twilight in the twilight zone.

By Maddox626_, Jan 04, 2006

This episode was a great installment to the Twilight Zone. I think this was my favorite episode of the Twilight Zone. Wait, actually this was my favorite episode of the Twilight Zone. I can tell that the graphics are fake because I am used to seeing computer animated movies, but like my dad said, it is ALL about the story they are trying to tell. Even though this is before my time, I really enjoy watching it. It is also very funny how the gremlin flies away just before someone other than Mr. Wilson is about to see him. I am really fasinated by how this episode made me think. It got me thinking. What is the ending going to be like? What will Mr. Wilson do to show everybody the greamlin is there? Is anybody reading my reviews?moreless