The Unusuals

Show Reviews (27)

Good
7.8

The story of the detectives of the 2nd Unit NYPD Police Department. This is a procedural that investigates some serious subjects with humor and clever stories. Overall after a slow start he show was better and better but canceled after ten episodes.

By jyarter, Nov 16, 2011

Actually an above average police drama set on the streets of New York City. Brilliant casting and a great ensemble feeling. Even the characters that seemed to be outcasts overall fit in with the programs quirky taste.

The stellar cast is lead by Amber Tamblyn as Detective Casey Schraeger. Her partner Detective Jason Walsh played by Jeremy Renner was excellent. These two lead a cast of lovable misfits. Schraeger's story is one of a debutante from a family of wealth and privilege. She has rebelled against the family and wants to do something with her life. When we first meet Walsh his last partner had just been killed. He is forced to bring along a new partner in Schraeger. He is a down to earth good guy that just wants to live life. Most notable are Adam Goldberg as Detective Eric Delahoy and his partner Detective Leo Banks played by Harold Perrineau Jr.. Delahoy has a brain tumor but he refuses to get help. He ends up having a romance with the medical examiner who is helping him. Banks is afraid of dying. He is 42 and his father and grandfather both died at 42. He is convinced he will die this year so he wears a bullet proof vest every minute of the day. Delahoy's constant risking his life drives Banks crazy.

Detective Allison Beaumont is played by Monique Gabriela Curnen. She is having a serious relationship with Walsh which brings some crazy things to the stories at times. Her partner is Detective Henry Cole played by Joshua Close. Henry is a mess. His former criminal partner killed Walsh' partner and causes a great deal of problems. Henry has found religion so he is trying to live a righteous life which considering his past is difficult.

The last two regular cast members are Detective Eddie Alvarez played by Kai Lennox and Sergeant Harvey Brown played by Terry Kinney. Alvarez' wife is an assistant DA and he is the units outsider. He refers to himself in the third person and constantly is getting ribbed by the other detectives. Finally Brown is an all business leader and does an excellent job of leading the unit. This show was a mid-season replacement that never really got an audience. It was fun, quirky, well written, superbly acted, and the productions values were very good as well. A disappointing situation but it was fun to watch while it was on. Honestly I feel it sort of got thrown away. Thanks for reading...moreless

GREAT Show

By LaurieGaunt, Nov 16, 2011

This is an excellent show. BRING IT BACK!!!! It's been a long time since we found a truly unique, funny and entertaining show. We were just beginning to tell our friends about it and found out it was canceled. So many cookie cutter type shows on...but The Unusuals was so cute and so well done. It is so unique that it was hard to even explain to everyone but I tried. Funny, dry humor, great acting and so many plot twists. I don't care that they left us hanging in the final plot...I just really miss having it to turn to for a laugh. Please bring it back.moreless

This gem of a show deserved more respect than it got.

By Ursa60, Nov 16, 2011

The Unusuals was not given the chance it deserved. This short series was quirky and entertaining. The writers crafted stories revolving around peculiar police cases and eccentric people that were far from the reused set of stories most cop shows use. The ensemble cast shaped odd characters and atypical situations into a captivating hour. Amber Tamblyn (who I have loved since Joan of Arcadia) as Detective Casey Shraeger and Jeremy Renner as Detective Jason Walsh were the core of the ensemble sometimes appearing to be the normal people among the crazies but each of their characters had their own idiosyncrasies as well. The detectives of the Second Precinct were real people with exaggerated individualities that made them interesting. The characters had growth within the few episodes that indicated they could survive a long run. During the short run, the show improved each episode. Since ABC decided not to renew the show before half of the episodes had run, it felt like the show never had a chance. But unlike other shows that ABC did not renew, the episodes were allowed to play out in the scheduled timeslot and were not burned off over the summer.moreless

My husband and I enjoy this show a great deal and we were anxiously awaiting the return.Great shows are coming to an end with little new to replace it. This one deserve to be one of them.Too much reality

crap, not enough humor. This one filled that

By Peg62, Nov 16, 2011

What are the network execs thinking when they didnt think this funny gem was good enough to continue. Please folks lets show this cast and crew the respect they deserve and start a movement to get this back into production and back in our livingrooms!!! It has been done before and this one is worth adding to the list of the little ppl talked and forced the "bigger ppl" to listen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The show is true to its name and there are so many "realitiy shows" taking up space that are mind numbingly stupid why cant we enjoy The Unusuals instead.

They are willing to fill the airwaves with and I quote from another winner-Supernatural- "talentless douchbags" which was a dig at CSI Miami( and guess who they ment with that????)and take this winner off the air. Lets see if we can get it back...Come join the effort!!!!!!moreless

Please bring back by popular demand!

By JulioBermeo, Nov 16, 2011

Can't believe we missed this on TV! Watching it on Netflix. Husband and I really enjoy it. The characters are rich, the stories fun, and seeing neighborhoods in NYC are great. Great mix of drama action comedy and character. Please, give it another go! We're all sorry to miss it 1st time!

In the world of drama-laden, serious cop shows this quirky new show is a breath of fresh air.

By CarpeDiemXO, Dec 02, 2010

When I saw the first preview for the show, I wasn't filled with the usual melancholy that I get when my diehard favourites are ending and the networks cram their line-ups with mindless drivel. This quirky, original cop drama/comedy centers around a unique group of cops with their own humourous character traits and quirks. "The Unusuals" takes place at the 2nd precinct homicide division in New York City. It becomes quite clear that the show is based around the concept of personal secrets, both keeping them and exposing them. The show dances around the odd and eccentric precinct, and it's Lieutenant's desire to clean it up and get rid of the excess baggage. Over the course of the show, the individual idiosyncracies of the detectives make their way out into the open.

In the world of hard-hitting, dramatic cop shows, "The Unusuals" steps onto the stage with a fresh attitude. While the concept of secrets and lies isn't in itself a completely original idea, the way the characters approach and react to the perceived seedy underbelly of the Big Apple. While this show isn't exactly mindbendingly original, not that it claims to be, it provides the audience with enough inventiveness to keep them entertained.

If you liked M*A*S*H, chances are, you're going to appreciate this new show.

Bottom Line: Give it a shot, it may not be Emmy-worthy but it's an interesting take on the traditional cop show.moreless

They replaced "Life on Mars" for this trite!

By CaptainFreedom3, Dec 02, 2010

Easily the worst new show I've seen on Television in a long time, and that is truly saying something. I love Amber Tamblyn. I enjoy most of the members of this cast - the noteworthy ones being Adam Goldberg, Harold Perrineau Jr. and Terry Kinney. What in the love of all that is right convinced them that this show was something to be involved in! This show has the following summary: The Unusuals is described as a comedic procedural. Comedic? Yeah, about as funny as herpes. I honestly cannot believe just how bad television has gotten - and this show is right at the top of the list. If there exists any justice, this show will be canceled ASAP.moreless

The show was better than its preview commercials!

By skaizun, Dec 02, 2010

This reminds me a lot of the gratefully defunct "Special Unit 2" (which involved cops with a sci-fi twist), in that a cop (in both shows, it was a woman; what's up with that?) is taken off her cruddy, unappreciated, beat, and placed into an allegedly more elite venue, where she will save the precinct (or world, as the case may be!), so there is nothing original, here.

However, having seen the previews of the show via the network's commercials, and having rolled my eyes, thinking, "Will this be Night Court meets Hill Street Blues?", I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised by the over-the-top acting, and the slight, though predictable plot twist (bad cop is killed, but he wasn't really bad, because he helped kids (pedophile, anyone?), even though there were drugs and money in his locker . . . don't ask!).

But, I had a LOT of trouble keeping up with the story line, because the scenes jumped from one to the next with barely a bit of logic between them, and the lead character being a "mole" is more than just a little trite.

The only real interest is the born-again religious zealot character with a checkered past who somehow managed to become a cop in spite of that, who seems to be hiding something, making mysterious phone calls and falsifying evidence (planting the dead cop's weapon and badge in a wall). Is it interesting because it's so quirky, or because that's all there is of any interest to the show?

The best parts were the comedic background announcements and voice overs, not unlike those in M*A*S*H, but you can't make a show out of that. Further, one of the characters' doctor told him that he has six months to live, which means that either he will have a miraculous recovery, or the show doesn't need him, or the show is going to be cancelled long before then.

I gave it extra points for its quirkiness, but it's nothing for which you have to miss a night out!moreless

yet another law and order or csi clone

nice to have it more about the cast but poorly executed

By shadowysea07, Dec 02, 2010

Well first they barely gave us any info about the entire cast. we know one is an evil cop killing b**** one is a nice main character. ones a rich innocent girl, one a down ot earth women, ones a showoff, ones supersticious, ones going to die of cancer, the bald boss nough said. We barely get to learn anything about some of the characters heck i don't even remember their names. the show is going to be mainly about the main characters trying to figure out what really happened to their dead cop friend who i never saw a pic of. Its a decent show but nothing different than the other 10 or 15 cop shows they have. lets see theres castle, csi miami csi vegas, csi new york, ncis, ncis spinoff thats in the works, 11th hour, the mentalist, lie to me, numbers, law and order law and order svu, law and order forgot the innitialsmoreless

This show is definetely a break from the norm in cop dramas. I found it to be entertaining and look forward to the future episodes.

By jeffnew, Dec 02, 2010

Having seen the many previews for this show while watching Lost or Scrubs, I decided I would check it out. Now, I do not like cop shows at all. CSI, Law & Order, NCIS, or any of the other cop shows out there I cannot get interested in for whatever reason. The commericals make this look like a cop drama that is different than your CSI or Law & Order type shows. And they were right.

This is a fun mix of drama and comedy. The show has potential as the charecters seem to be ones you can get caught up in. This also looks like it will be a story driven show. It will probably have its "case of the week" storyline in it each time, but there will be an underlying story developing charecters and the relationships. With only one episode having aired so far, I will not say anymore about the show. It looks entertaining and I will tune in. Once there are more episodes shown and the direction becomes more clear, I will either love this show or hate it. I'm thinking it will be the former.moreless

Load More Reviews